Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #121
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my cage built by me

S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #122
discosteak
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
discosteak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc4130 View Post
were did you go to school for it? im really interested in professional welding?

Earlbeck gases and technology in Baltimore MD
discosteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #123
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Full NASA/SCCA legal cage for road racing. 1.625"x0.120" tubing.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #124
artdrifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
artdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That weld looks pretty skarry. Do it right the first time or let the cage fail.

artdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #125
McCoy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
McCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of lightMcCoy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by artdrifter View Post
That weld looks pretty skarry. Do it right the first time or let the cage fail.
A 20 year old expert on welds I see

FWIW... it may not be the prettiest weld, but that weld (as do all the rest) does have penetration and will hold up better than any bolt-in cage, which is all I wanted.

Here's what a 'skarry' weld looks like...
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #126
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
teamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Trying to keep this thread alive! Here's my cage so far. Will probably add some more bars and gusseting. Either a kidney bar or another full bar to make for X door bars, although these are very easy to get in so the kidney bar may be the best choice for me.

teamsprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #127
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
anyone has any tips on painting the top of the cage???
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 AM   #128
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

teamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the roughteamsprock is a jewel in the rough
I think I am going to use POR and a foam brush. SHould be able to get into some pretty tight spots. But I'm with you anyone with tips on painting it I would also love to know.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #129
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Hard to make it out, but how well does that fair for head room with a helmet on?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #130
teamsprock
Zilvia Addict

Not too bad, the seats and Bride rails help out a lot. I think if you have seats like my Old Recaro's you may have some troubles. With a helmet I am about 5" away from that bar.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #131
jay pee
Leaky Injector

jay pee is an unknown quantity at this point
damn all those weld on cages are sick ..my gf baught me a bolt on 6pt just so i can tandem at events...still saving to get a weld on roll cage though
jay pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #132
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-unit View Post
anyone has any tips on painting the top of the cage???
If you're welding the cage the proper way. While the cage is still sitting through the floor, you paint the tops... Then finish everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay pee View Post
damn all those weld on cages are sick ..my gf baught me a bolt on 6pt just so i can tandem at events...still saving to get a weld on roll cage though
No they aren't. They are really quite iffy. I'm actually concerned. (Not being a dick. I'm actually concerned)
Not only to the welds look horrible, I see a crater or two (great place for failures). It also looks like the wind blew the gas away or he forgot to turn it on. (Orange-redish like dust looking stuff). No gas coverage areas are another great place for failures. deposition rates are all wacky as well.

Teamsprock. I think you should do some serious practicing. Those welds look really iffy. I would be concerned. If you would like some helpful advice you can PM me. I'd be glad to help you.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #133
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
A 20 year old expert on welds I see
Well how bout a 30 year olds opinion. That weld looks like dog shit.

1.625x.120 DOM

Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #134
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
As far as painting the cage goes, don't use POR15. The stuff smells and will linger in the car for ages. I've been in a caged STI that was POR15'd over a year ago and it still distinctly smells like the stuff.

I used Rustoleum indoor/outdoor gloss black and a regular 1.5" brush. $4.99 for a pint and I covered my entire "6point" cage. No brush strokes, lays out very flat/smooth and looks great.

Here's pics of my cage build-up:

dusty...arghhh

Cage finished...finished painting a few hours prior to these pics..

Cage built by Kale's Custom in Essex, VT.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #135
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Damn, doesnt look bad for brush on
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #136
jay pee
Leaky Injector

jay pee is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by atutt View Post
If you're welding the cage the proper way. While the cage is still sitting through the floor, you paint the tops... Then finish everything else.

No they aren't. They are really quite iffy. I'm actually concerned. (Not being a dick. I'm actually concerned)
Not only to the welds look horrible, I see a crater or two (great place for failures). It also looks like the wind blew the gas away or he forgot to turn it on. (Orange-redish like dust looking stuff). No gas coverage areas are another great place for failures. deposition rates are all wacky as well.

Teamsprock. I think you should do some serious practicing. Those welds look really iffy. I would be concerned. If you would like some helpful advice you can PM me. I'd be glad to help you.

yeah sum of the welds do look kinda questionable just didnt wanna bash on any1 but hopefully whenever i save enough for my cage the guy does a good job welding. since ill probably be paying like 2grand if not more for it. its really hard to find a good welder cuz every1 swears up n down they r pro at it lol

Last edited by jay pee; 02-17-2010 at 04:22 PM..
jay pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #137
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Pure_JDM is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be welding in my own cage within the next few weeks, and am really considering going a different route in the backseat of the car (That's right, backseat...). However small and cramped the backseat is, I still want to retain it, as I have a 2 year old little girl that loves to ride in daddy's car. I am going to cage the front similarly to others already here, but instead of an X bar going through the backseat passage to the trunk, I am going to attempt to send a bent one down hugging the rear window, terminating in the trunk on a rear strut tower cross bar. Has anyone seen this done, other than the padded bolt on in the previous page (hypnotiks)? Another huge issue I have with bolt-ins is I am 6'3", and have yet to find a bolt-in that's very friendly to my head room. They all sit too far forward, as mine will be a few inches further toward the rear of the car. I was an engineering major, as well as a welder, as well as an experienced caged builder (I built one in a buddy's 95 wrangler extreme-modified rock crawler). I'm confident that I can bring something new to the table here, but know it's going to take some time, and a hell of a lot of patience, as this is my daily driver. I will keep this thread updated on my progress in huge steps, and will most likely make my own thread showing the build up. Any remarks or tips from experienced fabricators are more than welcome. I have read all tips in this thread, as well as many other builds and fabs (big fan of blu808's creativity and skill).
Pure_JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #138
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
^^ What your intending to do has been done before (on my car ), and I don't recommend it. Bends in the rear down tubes make the cage illegal for FD, SCCA Ect. You can definitely make a strong cage with that design though. My car came with the cage already welded in, so I'm not going to fuck with it, but with the rear bars having bends and the firewall penatration, its not legal for FD or SCCA.

Here are some pics.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #139
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
franklin93zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I want a cage in my z so i can look like a boss
franklin93zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #140
RPSil13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
RPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownRPSil13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSil13 View Post
When a cage is boxed in like so, does the bar go through the box or does it sit on top
sorry for the dumb question, but i havent seen anyone address this

anyone know?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #141
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
When I build my cages I double box them. where the tube goes through the top part of the box and is welded to both the bottom box plate and the top box plate.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #142
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
^^ What your intending to do has been done before (on my car ), and I don't recommend it. Bends in the rear down tubes make the cage illegal for FD, SCCA Ect. You can definitely make a strong cage with that design though. My car came with the cage already welded in, so I'm not going to fuck with it, but with the rear bars having bends and the firewall penatration, its not legal for FD or SCCA.

Here are some pics.

I dont understand why yours wouldnt still be legal though... Even if your rear bars cant have bends, you still have the same X bar terminating to your strut towers. Wouldnt this be a legal cage, and your two bent bars just be "extra"? Or is this not how it works? Im completely unaware of the rules, which I'm about to hunt down a copy and read them...

Either way, I agree with you, your cage appears to be very structurally sound and a strong design.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #143
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

update^? and one last question regarding the diagonal bar... Can it be bolted in, rather than welded? I figured I would use a Clevis or some form of it to bolt in the diagonal on track days, once again for the simple reason of keeping a backseat during the week.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #144
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
well first and foremost the cage can not penetrate the fire wall and mine clearly does. Second the rules state that the cage must have rear down bars with no bends in them, regardless of the cross behind the driver. Honestly its a fine cage, but if I were to do it myself I would have gone with a more standard design. This has just a bunch of showy parts that weigh extra for no real reason. W/e it was cheap.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #145
AngeloAJC
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
AngeloAJC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

AngeloAJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #146
lechu84
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
lechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

and ready to finish up paint.
lechu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #147
EASTSiDe 2 WESTSiDe
Leaky Injector

EASTSiDe 2 WESTSiDe is an unknown quantity at this point
damn i want a cage lol @ wrapping paper
EASTSiDe 2 WESTSiDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #148
lechu84
Zilvia Junkie

lechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the roughlechu84 is a jewel in the rough
^lol yuh we had a bunch laying around after the holidays.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #149
Pure_JDM
Zilvia Addict

That's funny. I looked at the pic before the caption and thought you had made an entire cage out of wrappingpaper tubes and paint tape. Haha. I'll be posting up some pics of progress this weekend!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #150
lechu84
Zilvia Junkie

kinda looks like PVC piping.