Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
KA ka24e RICH, backfiring, NO power

SO!

my ka took a dump and i had a spare from an old car, so we swapped that motor in.

it did not have a dizzy, throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, and a few other things.

So we swapped those from the other motor.

Also bypassed most of the vacuum lines.

We got it started but the best we could get the timing was 10 degrees before it hit the bracket.

the motor has NO power.

Put your car in third gear and try to drive, thats how my car is if u try and rev it in neutral.

It backfires every once in awhile while just idling, and gets worse while i drive.

Hard to tell but also think it MIGHT be backfiring through the intake a little.... especially down low.

ugh need this fixed. ASAP
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
umm..... bump?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Banegraphix
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Banegraphix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it sounds like the actual timing of the engine is off. Check the FSM and set it back the crank back to TDC and make sure the cam and dizzy are reset. My SR did that when I got it and the actual timing was way off it seemed like i was pulling a semi with my car, my crank was actually a tooth off but i pulled the valve cover and reset everything and she drives fine.
Banegraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
nieko
Post Whore!

its just weird because the motor i just put back in used to run like a champ.

i dnt see how it would just jump a tooth randomly but i guess ill check it out?

thanks man.

because thats exactly what it seems like, like im towing a damn semi truck LOL
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Banegraphix
Leaky Injector

If your dizzy was hitting the bracket at 10 degrees then the motor cant be at true TDC cause that should be about 30 degrees at the edge of the bracket. It could have jumped around from the install thats how mine jumped due to a chain guide being knocked loose.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
nieko
Post Whore!

alright cool.

hopefully thats it, how much of a bitch is it to move it to the right link though?

gunna have to take off the front cover and what not huh?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Dee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke then restab the distributor(rotor pointing toward #1 cyl). Then proceed with setting the timing. sounds like the distributor is 180 degree out or something
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Banegraphix
Leaky Injector

i just rotated the crank to TDC took out my timing chain tensioner, then took the valve cover off and set my cams to the right spot while the crank was in TDC and since the chain was loose I was able to just move it over until everything was in the right spot. I took the front cover off to replace the chain guides but if i didnt have to replace them there would have been no reason to take it off. It just depends on if you want to check you guides or not.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Seems like you didnt put the dizzy in while on TDC and it will be the cause for your timing to be off. do what Dee said and go from there.
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
shanes14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
shanes14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownshanes14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownshanes14 is making his/her stupidity well-knownshanes14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
sounds like its super retarded.. make sure your adjusting from the right tdc.. my car is doin the same thing after swapping a s14ka in it and using s13 dizzy.. after a few hours of playing with timing i got it in the ballpark.
shanes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
TeamClockworkPerformance
BANNED

Trader Rating: (5)
TeamClockworkPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It really sounds like a timing issue. Make sure the dizzy is not damaged. Make sure you have the ignition wires in the correct firing order. Also, check the ecu for codes.
TeamClockworkPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
nieko
Post Whore!

ya i did set the motor at TDC compression stroke and put the dizzy in, the rotor was pointing towards the number one spark position too.

and i tried 2 different dizzys.

and ya it in the correct firing order

the only thing i could think of is it had to of jumped a tooth...

i dont see what else it could be? because i did everything else right, or so i think.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
nieko
Post Whore!

thanks for the suggestions you guys
Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
nieko
Post Whore!

havent quite had a chance to take a look at it yet, but if it did jump a tooth is there anyway to fix it without taking off the front cover?

lol
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
schmauster
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
schmauster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
move the dist one tooth and try again, i had this same problem when i swapped distributors.. if just your cam timing was off your timing could be right on and it would run like ass
schmauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
nieko
Post Whore!

i think my cam timing is off.

because the dizzy goes in perfect at TDC on the crank pulley, and the rotor points towards spark postion 1.

so im pretty sure the cam sproket is off.

am i making sense? lOl
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
essforteen
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
essforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant futureessforteen has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Pull offf the front cover and redo the timming

I assume its not that hard since its not a DOHC

Then trouble shoot from there
essforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
have you checked the rotor in your under your dizzy cap?

mine looked like a half moon. it was messed up.
replaced that, and a ignitor chip.
ran like a charm
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote