Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Kelp240

Trader Rating: (0)
Kelp240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Cooling issue please help :(

So after about a month or so of trying to replace my timing chain, I FINNALY get the car to turn over yesterday. I took it for a VERY SHORT drive around the block and when I put it back into the garage the engine is hot and there's smoke coming from my radiator cap and heat shield. Anyone know what's going on?
Kelp240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Primo's Silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Primo's Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
How does your coolant look? Did u bleed the system after re-installing the hoses and pump
Primo's Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
Kelp240

Yeah all my fluids are top'd off, could it be my thermostat? The car gets up to temp in 3 minutes in 30 degree weather
Old 12-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Topping the radiator off is different from bleeding the system.
Quote:
1. Fill cooling system with whatever you want mix-wise with the bleeder closed. Fill it until it doesn't take any more.
2. Open the bleeder screw, squeeze the upper radiator hose frequently, fill it until no more air (only liquid) comes out.
3. Leave the radiator cap off and bleeder off if you don't get pure liquid out of it.
4. (Optional) Jack the front of the car up with floor jack or park on steep hill, front of the car facing uphill.
5. Turn the car on, put temp slider to full heat, turn blower on. Let car run and close bleeder once pure liquid comes out. Leave radiator cap off, let car warm up, add coolant as needed when it goes down (thermostat opens).
6. Once you have the thermostat open and heat coming out the vents, top off the radiator. If you want to double check the bleeder for pure liquid open it back up and see. Close bleeder, put rad cap on, and fill the coolant reservoir up to the line.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Kelp240

Everything been properly bled
Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
jza80king
Leaky Injector

jza80king is an unknown quantity at this point
still having issues? Couple questions for you, when you drove your car after it gets to normal operating temperature (assuming it does) does it get hotter than normal or overheat? Does your lower radiator hose feel hot to the touch? If not, then your thermostat may be failing to open.
jza80king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Kelp240

After I took to around the block it stayed the same temperature, when I took it into the garage steam was billowing from my radiator cap. I felt the lower hose and it was still cool... Pretty confused
Old 12-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelp240 View Post
After I took to around the block it stayed the same temperature, when I took it into the garage steam was billowing from my radiator cap. I felt the lower hose and it was still cool... Pretty confused
Your thermostat is not opening if the lower radiator hose is not warm/hot then. Around the block that isn't very much driving to allow the car to warm up. Also, are you certain you temp gauge is working correctly? It could be reading wrong, could also be the temp sensor. What I suggest is take the thermostat out, leave it out and fill the radiator up with coolant cuz you will lose some when removing the thermostat. Then follow the steps for bleeding the system of any air, what i do is raise the front up high on jack stands, open the radiator cap and put a funnel in the radiator opening and put coolant about half way up the funnel and run the heat on high. Rev the motor to a steady 2k for a few seconds at a time and let off. Check the funnel to see if the coolant you put in there is gone and add more if so. Next test the thermostat. Take the thermostat and boil water to 200 degrees and drop the thermostat in there. See if it opens, then take the thermostat and put it immediately in cold water. Do this a few times to see if the thermostat is failing to open. After that, drive the car and after a good 10-15 min drive see if the lower hose is hot or not. I think you have either a thermostat issue, or air in the system, possibly both.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Kelp240

I'll look into that. Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Kelp240

Okay guys, I just got a new oem thermostat and installed it. Bled the system and I started it up in 15 degree weather and it still got to temp (5/8 up on the gauge) in under 5 minutes. I also hear random ticks coming from my manifold while the car is operating and a steady dripping sound in my manifold when I turn it off...
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Okay guys, I just got a new oem thermostat and installed it. Bled the system and I started it up in 15 degree weather and it still got to temp (5/8 up on the gauge) in under 5 minutes. I also hear random ticks coming from my manifold while the car is operating and a steady dripping sound in my manifold when I turn it off...

was the lower radiator hose warm/hot when it got to the 5/8 on the gauge? What manifold exhaust or intake side? I take it you have no smoke anymore?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pressurized the coolant system and check for heat. How abt the temp sensor? Have you checked it?

'Born Ready!',LJ
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
Kelp240

Lower radiator hose was warm and he ticks come from the exhaust side, and no I didn't see any steam come from my radiator this time. I haven't gotten to check the temp sensor yet either
Old 01-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Kelp240

Okay I just ran the car again, let it get up to temp and then felt the rad hoses... Bottom one was ice cold!!! What does that mean?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #15
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Okay I just ran the car again, let it get up to temp and then felt the rad hoses... Bottom one was ice cold!!! What does that mean?
How long did you run the car? Did you accelerate it for a while at all? the radiator hose not getting hot means the thermostat is not opening, which if you changed that then you might still have air in the system.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
Kelp240

http://youtu.be/PdUHwRCgKU0

Made a vid to show you guys
Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
jza80king
Leaky Injector

Quote:
http://youtu.be/PdUHwRCgKU0

Made a vid to show you guys
So before I say anything, did you test the thermostat like I said? Assuming you did not cuz you didn't say anything about it....at the 5:40ish mark, is that as hot as it gets or does it get hotter? Honestly, I would do a cylinder leak down test to check if you have a bhg. Not sure if you answered this but have you checked your oil to see if it's mixing with your coolant? Are you ever low on coolant after you start it and idle it for long periods? Another thing I'd suggest is run the car without a thermostat and see if it gets hot. The bottom hose not opening, that's the thermostat not opening at all but you replaced that you said. The ticking you hear that's not really strange, a car will get hot and when you turn it off it'll do that.... The steam on the other hand, that's water that is most likely leaking somewhere and when it touches something hot like the radiator there comes the steam. On the muffler, that water trickling is usually condensation but how does the exhaust smell? Does it smell kind of sweet? If so you might be burning coolant which means headgasket might be leaking.... Your best bet is a cylinder leak down test to check for bhg which you can buy the tool or possibly rent it but you need compressed air for the test, not sure if you have that.

Last edited by jza80king; 01-12-2015 at 08:39 PM..