Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
brianglawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
Output Shaft Dilemma.

Hey guys, I have an R200 VLSD I'm trying to get installed in my 1997 S14

My car does not have ABS and is a manual.

The R200 VLSD that came with my car I believe is off an overseas car. It came from Jspec in Richmond, and was included with my car when I purchased it.

It has 5 bolt axle flanges on it and is at least a 4.08/4.11.. Just counting revolutions. I wonder if it may even be a 4.36

It does not have the ABS extension on the snout, and the output shafts do not have ABS rings around them.

The output I bought from a Zilvia Member were supposed to be VLSD output shafts.

I have yet to get my stubborn short shaft out, but I have got the long shaft out and I have a problem. The new output shaft was longer than the old one by a little bit. I am able to get it in the diff, good and locked in, but the slinger, or the ring at the base is sitting about 1/4 off of the side of the diff housing....

What diff do I have, am I ever going to find output shafts?? what should they be from? I believe I have J30 VLSD 6 bolt output shafts here.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
QuickSpoolSR
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
QuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
u could always get some 5 bolt axles make life easy
Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSpoolSR View Post
u could always get some 5 bolt axles make life easy
I cant find any 5 bolt axles, period.. not even remans...
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You can find 5 bolt axles from junkyard or autoparts store for j30 , pre 95 I think . Or ebay from 180sx .
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Parts stores only have one of one side (AutoZone) others don't have them. . Local junkers don't have them either
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
cut the long one to fit... all nissan R200 rear ends use standard 29 spline shafts, some are just longer than others. the ONLY output shafts that CANNOT be used are S15 and R34 HLSD shafts as they are 30 spline.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

That wouldn't work, its not longer on the end, its longer down near the base
Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
youre gonna need to hit a junkyard and pull output shafts from a J30t (standard J30s were open diff) if you dont want to start cutting/trimming output shafts.

im assuming your s14 has 5 bolt axles? if it doesnt, just go grab some 6 bolt output shafts and start shaving them down to fit your rear end.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

My s14 has 6 bolt axles, my lsd has 5 bolt.

I just purchased j30 vlsd axles. And one is too long, unless they aren't what they are supposed to be?

Can someone verify that what I received was, in fact, vlsd axles?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianglawson View Post
My s14 has 6 bolt axles, my lsd has 5 bolt.

I just purchased j30 vlsd axles. And one is too long, unless they aren't what they are supposed to be?

Can someone verify that what I received was, in fact, vlsd axles?
again, why i keep saying cut down one of the stock output shafts to fit the diff. use your 6 bolt output shafts and cut/shave the insides down (the parts that actually go INTO the diff). the taper really doesnt matter much as long as you have the correct number of splines (which you do) and the correct length.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Look at the pictures, the distance between the end and the last machined oil slinger is the same. ..its the piece after that's a different length, the one that butts up against the mounting flange
Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

all 1990s R200 output shafts are pretty much the same length on the outside of the shaft where they bolt up to the axles (the axles themselves are different lengths). there are a few that are SLIGHTLY shorter on one side, but the major differences are the internal splined shafts. the internal bit that goes into the diff have different lengths for different cars. the outside of output shafts themselves are almost all the same outside of being 5 bolt or 6 bolt. you will need to cut down the internal shaft if you dont feel like finding one to fit or want to swap axles.

just go grab 2 output shafts from an open diff S13, cut down the one that doesnt fit, slap it all together and go drifting!

Old 10-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Id really like to know if these shafts that were sold to me were vlsd shafts or not so I know whether to file a PayPal claim
Old 10-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

they ARE VLSD shafts (seeing as there no VLSD specific shafts for R200 rear ends, only HLSD specific shafts), however, they require modification and probably werent S14 VLSD specific.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #15
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I have a pair of s14 vlsd output shafts that I'll snap a pic of tonight.

It's only long and one short (probably the style you need).
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Yea. The ones I bought were one short and one long. He said they were vlsd shafts.

I have read that only other vlsd shafts will work in vlsds

If you could measure yours that would be great
Old 10-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

VLSD shafts are not specific for VLSD brian... the ONLY VLSD shafts that are diff specific are the Helical shafts because theyre 30 spline. all other shaft can be easily modified to work with VLSD if they dont fit properly.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

The issue here is getting lost... Im really trying to figure out if the guy sold me NON LSD shafts or LSD shafts.... If they were VLSD shafts, it seems to me they would fit. I see that people "cut down" non VLSD shafts to make them work, but in the same post there is always someone saying that VLSD shafts swap between each other and that Non-VLSD don't.

I obviously want to know how to make this work, SOOOoo that's why I tried to buy 6 bolt output shafts from a VLSD diff. BUT at the same time, I want to file a paypal claim if this guy just sold me standard open diff 6 bolt output shafts... Make sense?

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/s1...3-problem.html
Old 11-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #19
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Here is what the long shaft looks like in there.....

I guess im just going to look for some 5 bolt axles now... Im suspecting this is a really low geared rear end... I really want taller gears, at least 3.90s, but im thinking these are 4.36's

Ultimately I guess I want to grab a Helical S15 diff and go with some 3.90's.. right now, I have blown my budget and just really want two rear wheels spinning!!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #20
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have a 5 bolt j30 diff
I took 6 bolt half shafts out of my buddies blown r33 gtst diff
I am having the same issue
Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #21
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
I have a 5 bolt j30 diff
I took 6 bolt half shafts out of my buddies blown r33 gtst diff
I am having the same issue
KAT-PWR, hey, we might be in luck, maybe you have what I need and I have what you need! Can you measure your shafts? I absolutely have 6 bolt j30 vlsd shafts, which should definitely for you. Maybe yours are the right length for me. I'm going to pm you my phone number. Shoot me a text and let's see what each other has.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #22
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

bump.... never did figure this out... I'm about to sell these shafts to someone who can use them otherwise...

dorkidori 13: I see what you're saying, but a lot of reading I've done says otherwise, that there are VLSD shafts and non-VLSD shafts
Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #23
Albert_Trd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Albert_Trd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just picked up a r32 gtst diff supposedly and has no output shafts. Will these work? Trying to swap them into the s14