Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #1
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
S13 With SR20 Track Day Durability?

I've been into drifting since I was 16. As of lately, I've really wanted to get more into road racing as I have no desire to competitivly drift, and it's just gotten mundane for me.

My question is, does anyone here do track days with an sr20? I've only every drifted the car so the strain only lasts a minute or two. I'm wondering how it would hold up to consistent laps around say Sebring or AMP. I know that if I'm drifting and doing hot laps, even with a really good radiator and fan setup, it will get warm. So i'm not sure how it would cope with abuse on a track being WOT for 20-30 second at a time.

Also, any input as far as car setup pertain specifically to the S-13 chassis would be appreciated. I spec out spring rates and such for customers on a daily basis so that's easy, but as far as sway bars alignment etc for road racing this car i'm kind of in the dark. I met Tim Bell at Z nationals and we exchanged info as he is trying to get into drifting for fun, and i'm trying to get into road racing. So i'm sure his info will be beneficial but I would like to hear from other s-chassis owners as to pros and cons of using this car for road racing. i also have an NA Miata, but it would require far more modification to be at the level my s chassis is already.

Last edited by tayloray; 10-24-2014 at 11:50 AM..
tayloray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
www.nissanroadracing.com.

I did 4 track days this year with my car, and had some complications it was all turbo manifold related (t2 gasket, etc).

With a clutch fan and griffin radiator my PFC never shows about 87*C. No problems at all.

Heat management is obviously the name of the game for 20min sessions, but that goes for brakes, tires, cooling system, etc.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

tayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
www.nissanroadracing.com.

I did 4 track days this year with my car, and had some complications it was all turbo manifold related (t2 gasket, etc).

With a clutch fan and griffin radiator my PFC never shows about 87*C. No problems at all.

Heat management is obviously the name of the game for 20min sessions, but that goes for brakes, tires, cooling system, etc.
My dilemma is I may want to sell the S13 and build a NA 350z just light bolt ons and good footwork purely for reliability.

The problem is the s chassis is capable of 350whp, has an AEM, Twin disk, and many supporting mods already. So doing that i'm kind of taking a step backwards.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Yeap
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
Yeap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

^^^ This! I bought my 240 back 2004 to get into drifting, but over the years I became more interested in time attacks and track days. Heat management is key here. I was running a 300hp tuned SR which was a lot of trial and error. The turbo manifold will melt shit. Make or invest in a decent heat shield for the brake booster & reservoir. Wrap the powersteeing lines if you have powersteering.

Another important thing that I think gets overlooked is the panels under the radiator, the splash guard and other plastic canvas's. A lot of people remove that crap underneath to fit in intercoolers but it plays an important role in air flow at high speed. You dont want the air coming in from the front and dumping straight down onto the track. You need to focus the air flow through the inercooler and radiator.

Like I said a lot of trial and error. Your first runs out dont push it 100%. Get a feel for how the motor and heat will react to 1 or 2 laps, pull in to pit and check everything, otherwise the motor will blow from being heat soaked.

Last edited by Yeap; 10-22-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Yeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
ripnbst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With all the aftermarket support for this chassis your options for cooling panels and under trays are there. They just aren't made by power by Max and Silkroad. The SR is capable of handling track day heat. Some of the tings you'd want for drifting will apply to track days too. Drifting you are sideways and going slower while slamming the Rev limiter. On track you are pretty much pointed at the cooler air you are seeking and going faster while constantly varying RPM. It should be easier to keep cool on track than drifting. This is speaking about motor only. A big problem you will probably run into is brake cooling to maintain performance.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

I really appreciate the responses. I thought the same thing in terms of drifting vs. tracks days due to drifting being much harder, but for a much shorter time span.

As far as brakes go, I need to upgrade. The stock S13 stuff works fine for drifting but wouldn't stop a go kart fast enough on an actual road course.

I'm just trying to feel out my options here. The miata makes more sense as it will be better/cheaper on tires, gas and brakes. But at the same time it needs a lot more work to be where my 240 could be with less than $1500.

I've never tracked mine and with a welded diff I can't get a feel for handling charactoritiscs but i'm sure oversteer even with an LSD will be atrocious. I believe the car is something like 53/47 Weight balance?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
S-chassis usually pushes at the limit. Welded diff will cause understeer at turn-in for sure.

Z32 brakes are a minimum, wilwoods are a nice upgrade because of cheaper consumables.

Miata is definitely a cheaper buy-in, though.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
Another important thing that I think gets overlooked is the panels under the radiator, the splash guard and other plastic canvas's. A lot of people remove that crap underneath to fit in intercoolers but it plays an important role in air flow at high speed. You dont want the air coming in from the front and dumping straight down onto the track. You need to focus the air flow through the inercooler and radiator.
This, my cars fan turns off at speed because the air is ducted through the FMIC and Rad with the undertray going all the way to the front bumper.

Also, If you want to autox get a S15 HLSD.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
S-chassis usually pushes at the limit. Welded diff will cause understeer at turn-in for sure.

Z32 brakes are a minimum, wilwoods are a nice upgrade because of cheaper consumables.

Miata is definitely a cheaper buy-in, though.
I mean i generally like my cars to have some oversteer as it's more natural for me to counteract than understeer is.

This has been an ongoing tough decision.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
This, my cars fan turns off at speed because the air is ducted through the FMIC and Rad with the undertray going all the way to the front bumper.

Also, If you want to autox get a S15 HLSD.
Looking to do track days not autox. I'll probably do something like that until I want to for out the money for something like a O.S Giken
Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
Yea it really comes down to proper cooling and braking components.

A good radiator, thermostat, fan/shroud, swirl pot, possibly adding an under tray would go a long way.

Also I would recommend keeping the boost levels relatively tame, you dont need a ton of power if your doing a road course day and the added heat and pressure over a long period of time could cause some reliability issues.

I tracked my built SR at Sebring awhile back and it was on 18psi on an S14 T28, it had plenty of power but towards the end of the day it started pushing some oil out of the crank case. Overheating wasnt an issue because I've got a Koyo, SPAL 16'' fan, C&R swirl pot, and a lower temp thermostat, but the engine didnt seem to like prolonged and repeated 3rd gear pulls at that boost, then again it was a bit tired as it was built years ago and had quite a few hard miles on it.

I've stepped up the turbo size a bit now and will most likely run a bit less boost to try to keep things a bit more reliable and also stepped up my brakes to CTS-V 4 pot's, and will probably build some ducting for them shortly.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
surprised no one mentioned oil cooler

or did they. didnt read but thought it important enough to pop in
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #13
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I don't run one and I've never seen more than 210* oil temp. Just the greddy pan.

Monitor first, then add one as needed.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I currently have a s13 coupe set up for track racing only, initially i had heat issues with the turbo manifold. Heat wrap was used on everything in the general vcinity as well as i got a siebon vented hood, installed a stainless steel louvered duct directly over the mani. That helped immensely..looked riced out but made a big difference.

I run Z32 calipers front and rear with drilled and slotted rotors, project MU level max 900i pads and motul blue brake fluid, This combination works brilliantly for the track (i run a 3/4 mile track with 12 corners) and its a high speed.

I have two sets of staggered 17" 5-Zigens Fn's, 1 set with dunlop derizza starspec's and another set with Hoosier r6 dot legal tyres. With proper set and cure time the Hoosier's have given the fastest lap times, so i stuck with them, Toyo 888 are good as well but drop of pretty quick compared to hoosiers...think 50 cycles at 7 to 10 min laps vs 30 cycles.

Suspension- BC racing coil overs with 8/6 kg springs, white line stabilizer bars front and rear, nismo powerbrace with nismo front and rear strut tower bar braces and all adjustable arms. Rear subframe solid mounts,1 pc steel driveshaft and JDM 180sx vlsd diff. The tires love about 3 degrees of camber, and 20 to 25 cold psi (well i do anyway)

Safety- 6 point bolt in cage, bride seats, schroth cam lock harness, fire extinguisher, main power cut off switch, optima dry cell batery mounted to off set driver weight, no carpet(fire harzard). Cool suit (it gets quite hot inside the car) with fire proof coveralls.

Engine - stock sr20det-t25 with nismo clutch and nismo engine and tranny mounts, B & m shifter, front mount intercooler, with catch can and this is a must YOU NEED the winsheild washer system....its comes in very handy. I run 10psi on a stock engine with stock ecu on an optimization tune (that means it will run with larger exhaust, cold air intake, larger i/c, open to atmosphere BOV etc) It dyno'ed 230hp/224tq and is very responsive and always in with the front runners on track.

Engine cooling- stock fan and shroud, trimmed front bumper and ducting to force the air into the filter and i/c rad area. brake ducting coming soon but its not a must have. hope this helps.

The car is undergoing some maintenance/upgrades at the moment, smaller i/c, oil cooler and filter relocation, all new guages, different front end, all new coolant hoses, power steering cooler, new tie rods and such.

Changing to this front now

10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10psitx View Post
I currentely have a s13 coupe set up for track racing only, initially i had heat issues with the turbo manifold so it alot of heat wrap was used on everything in the general vcinity as well as i got a siebon vented hood and install a stainless steel louvered duct directly over the mani. That helped immensely..looked riced out but made a big difference.

I run Z32 calipers front and rear with drilled and slotted rotors with project MU level max 900i pads with motul blue brake fluid. work brilliantly for the track (i run a 3/4 mile track with 12 corners) and its a high speed.

I hav two setsof staggered 17" 5Zigens Fn's i set with dunlop derizza starspec's and another set with Hoosier r6 dot legal tyres. with proper set and cure time the Hoosier's have given be the fastest lap times so i stuck with them Toyo 888 are good as well but drop of pretty quick compared to hoosiers...think 50 cycles at 7 to 10 min laps vs 30 cycles.

suspension- BC racing coil overs with 8/6 kg springs, white line stabilizer bars front and rear, nismo powerbrace with nismo front and rear strut tower bar braces all adjustable arms. Rear subframe solid mounts,1 pc steel driveshaft. The tires love about 3 degrees of camber, and 20 to 25 cold psi.

Safety- 6 point bolt in cage, bride seats, schroth cam lock harness, fire extinguisher, main power cut off switch, optima dry cell batery mounted to off set driver weight, no carpet(fire harzard). Cool suit (it gets quite hot inside the car) with fire proof coveralls.

Engine - stock sr20det-t25 with nismo clutch and nismo engine and tranny mounts, B & m shifter, front mount intercooler, with catch can and this is a must YOU NEED the winsheild washer system....its come in very handy. I run 10psi all stock on stock ecu with optimization tune (that means it will run with larger exhaust, cold air intake, larger i/c, BOV etc) It dyno'ed 230hp/224tq and is very responsive and always in with the front runners on track.

Engine cooling- stock fan and shroud, trimmed front bumper and ducting to force the air into the filter and i/c rad area. brake ducting coming soon but its not a must have. hope this helps.

the car is undergoing some maintenance/upgrades at the moment.

Changing to this front now

Nice to hear you're running our suspension. How do you like it thus far?

From the responses it seems I have a good chunk of work to do to make it reliable for track days. Not as bad as i anticipated though. I'll need to do a lot of heat wrapping as that's one off my biggest concerns(turbo heat).

I'll probably keep it around 15psi. It's a built SR I have an AEM ecu, but i'll need to finally get it professionally tuned to ensure reliability.

New brakes. I also need to do all my suspension bushings as they're pretty shot. Waiting for a new line of ours to come out to do the suspension.

Then maybe just maybe it will work alright.

Thinking of running something like 285 squared slicks I havent calculated what spring rate I'm going to use yet. Need o get my car on some scales first and try a few different options.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
e1_griego
Post Whore!

If you're just running track days there's not much point to r-comps.

A 255 street tire (which fits with stock metal) is a lot cheaper. Seems like you're worried about buy-in so might as well keep it simple.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

A 255 street tire (which fits with stock metal) is a lot cheaper. Seems like you're worried about buy-in so might as well keep it simple.
I tend to go a little bit overboard at times.

My boss has an s14 with a turbo vq he will be using for track days so I'm trying to keep an edge of some sort. He's running something like 285/295 rs3's. As well as making more power, but like you said budget is a main point of consideration here.

I do have rear over fenders so I can clear a 275 285 easily in the rear.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Yes and no .... cost wise yea stick with a good street tire, but trust me when you get to the track and you'er losing tha 10th of a second you will want to have the r's thats' why i have 2 sets of wheels but it will come down to costs.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
e1_griego
Post Whore!

If it's not competitive why spend $1600/set of tires?

I buy r-comps for autocross where tenths matter
Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloray View Post
Nice to hear you're running our suspension. How do you like it thus far?

From the responses it seems I have a good chunk of work to do to make it reliable for track days. Not as bad as i anticipated though. I'll need to do a lot of heat wrapping as that's one off my biggest concerns(turbo heat).

I'll probably keep it around 15psi. It's a built SR I have an AEM ecu, but i'll need to finally get it professionally tuned to ensure reliability.

New brakes. I also need to do all my suspension bushings as they're pretty shot. Waiting for a new line of ours to come out to do the suspension.

Then maybe just maybe it will work alright.

Thinking of running something like 285 squared slicks I havent calculated what spring rate I'm going to use yet. Need o get my car on some scales first and try a few different options.
I like the spring rates and dampening of the set-up for the track but the two tone in the pic has a similar set up and the springs are crap...i just ordered 4/3kgs for the cifero to swap them out...i run top speed with car...above 140mph and its like a basket ball..

I have run 265 under a stock body so far,the white coupe runs 245 rear and 225 front, the two tone runs 255 rear and 235 fronts.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
If it's not competitive why spend $1600/set of tires?

I buy r-comps for autocross where tenths matter
Well I was looking at getting take offs as I know a few people who road race and this may be feasible. Everyone generally runs 18's though so that causes issues as I think 18's are to be for an S13.

Quote:
I like the spring rates and dampening of the set-up for the track but the two tone in the pic has a similar set up and the springs are crap...i just ordered 4/3kgs for the cifero to swap them out...i run top speed with car...above 140mph and its like a basket ball..

I have run 265 under a stock body so far,the white coupe runs 245 rear and 225 front, the two tone runs 255 rear and 235 fronts.
I wouldn't really suggest going much softer as you will need to raise the vehicle if you don't want it to be hitting the bump stops all the time.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I wouldn't really suggest going much softer as you will need to raise the vehicle if you don't want it to be hitting the bump stops all the time.

The springs are avaliable in "short" and "normal" height, i ordered Normal. The car will be corner balanced and pre-loaded for best ride height and preformance.The dampening adjustments will play a big part as well.

Don't forget this is not an unheard of combination its available off the shelf from BC and their distributors. So i trust BC knows what the different combination will do in real world conditions. Ill keep you posted on the outcome.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #23
Wookie384
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Wookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really niceWookie384 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wookie384
Quote:
The springs are avaliable in "short" and "normal" height, i ordered Normal. The car will be corner balanced and pre-loaded for best ride height and preformance.The dampening adjustments will play a big part as well.

Don't forget this is not an unheard of combination its available off the shelf from BC and their distributors. So i trust BC knows what the different combination will do in real world conditions. Ill keep you posted on the outcome.
You do realise he works for BC right? lol
Wookie384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

I'm assuming you're referencing standard and extreme low? That kit standard uses a 180mm front and a 220mm rear spring. With that soft of rates, you may run into some issues. That's half the default rate. I wouldn't suggest going down more than 2kg's from default as defaults are built around OE rates just with a little added stiffness to prevent bottoming out. Going softer is not something I would generally advise.

If you want to control the car over high speed bumps it would be more in tuning the dampening properly than the spring rates.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie384 View Post
You do realise he works for BC right? lol
And your point being he has actually done this before with my car and observed the results in the conditions where the car would be used?
Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Why not buy real shocks? :-X

Koni/bilstein 4 lyfe
Old 10-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #27
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Koni/bilstein 4 lyfe
That hurts.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #28
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I'm assuming you're referencing standard and extreme low? That kit standard uses a 180mm front and a 220mm rear spring. With that soft of rates, you may run into some issues. That's half the default rate. I wouldn't suggest going down more than 2kg's from default as defaults are built around OE rates just with a little added stiffness to prevent bottoming out. Going softer is not something I would generally advise.

If you want to control the car over high speed bumps it would be more in tuning the dampening properly than the spring rates.
I quite get what you're saying and it makes sense to a degree, Right now its corner balanced, at its softest dampening setting and practically no pre load and it feels way to bumpy are you suggesting to add preload and stiffen the dampening?

But just to give an over view, i've used the set up before on a different s-chassis and got the desired results hence the reason to go with it again (read-not my first rodeo). I'm sure you would agree that real world condition differ and that the exact setup does not behave the same as well, i believe your advice is based on the assumption that i'm set on having a "slammed car" ?.... let me assure that is not the case. I have garnered approx 12 + years track and street racing so i do have a little bit of understanding on how stuff works....I try different things, sometimes i fail... sometimes i succeed. Point is to use you knowledge as guidance...
Old 10-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #29
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Quote:

Koni/bilstein 4 lyfe
I have used them before and i have a set of Koni inserts in modified strut casing....but i have used BC'S before as well and they worked so i'll try them again...but good advice anyway!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #30
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I quite get what you'er saying and it makes sense to a degree, Right now its coner balanceed, at its softest dampening setting and practically no pre load and it feels way to bumpy are you suggesting to add preload and stiffen the dampening?

But just to give an over view, i've used the set up before on a different s-chassis and got the desired results hence the reason to go with it again (read-not my first rodeo). I'm sure you would agree that real world condition differ and that the exact setup does not behave the same as well, i believe your advice is based on the assumption that i'm set on having a "slammed car" ?.... let me assure that is not the case. I have garnered approx 12 + years track and street racing so i do have a little bit of understanding on how stuff works....I try different things, sometimes i fail... sometimes i succeed. Point is to use you knowledge as guidance...
Well it wouldn't make much of a different what the ride height was as far as suspension travel due to the adjustments being independant of each other.

Generally you would want to tighten up the rebound some to stabilize the car at high speeds. With a single adjustable you'll be tightening up the compression as well which wont hurt but isn't exactly what you want. What kind of roads are you driving on?