Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
WRC n FormulaD

Trader Rating: (0)
WRC n FormulaD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drifting tire size...?

So I currently run 255 front, 265 rear ventus RS-3s on 18 inch wheels for track, autocross, daily, etc. I'm planning on doing a few drift events this year and have a set of 17x7.5 winter wheels (I can dismount the winter tires).

Basically, would it be crazy of me to run a 225 tire (federal 595s, achilles art sport, something like that) in the rear w/ the more sticky 255 tires in the front? Would this be too much of a difference in front to rear grip? Btw the car should have about 340+ horsepower at the crank, hopefully ~300+ rwhp.

Thanks in advance
WRC n FormulaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Its not crazy, you want a sticky tire up front for front grip... the ATR Sports and RSR's are pretty stick and will provide good grip as well.... I have 400hp and run 225-245's out back but I run a 235 615k up front... If you don't rub with a 255 you'll be fine...
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
^ This. The rubbing thing is very important. If your front tires are catching on your wheel wells, you can throw all of your grip advantages out of the window.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
WRC n FormulaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Its not crazy, you want a sticky tire up front for front grip... the ATR Sports and RSR's are pretty stick and will provide good grip as well.... I have 400hp and run 225-245's out back but I run a 235 615k up front... If you don't rub with a 255 you'll be fine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysgottaredtop View Post
^ This. The rubbing thing is very important. If your front tires are catching on your wheel wells, you can throw all of your grip advantages out of the window.
Thanks guys... I haven't had any rubbing on the street (at least not that I'm aware of) but I'm not quite positive if that could be a concern at near full lock if I hit a bumpy spot in the course. I think for the most part the tracks/courses I'll be going to are pretty smooth though (hopefully). But other than that, a 255 tire in front and 225 in back isn't too much of a difference in width that the grip will be unbalanced? I guess I just haven't heard much of people running a backward staggered setup ever
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Javier13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Javier13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
400hp 1jz

235/40/17 front federal 595 (good front grip)
255/40/17 rear nexen n3000 (last forever)

also alignment plays a big part, wheel offset, ect..
Javier13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
nolandavid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
nolandavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to nolandavid
THAT TIRE IS FUCKING HUGE UP FRONT. i think its to big could cause under steer i run 225 or 235 up front. i'm making 366whp.
nolandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
WRC n FormulaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandavid View Post
THAT TIRE IS FUCKING HUGE UP FRONT. i think its to big could cause under steer i run 225 or 235 up front. i'm making 366whp.

Haha well I ended up just getting a whole set of square 225 federals. But in what way would a fatter tire up front cause understeer?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
you're not necessiarly looking for a neutral steering/balanced car for a low HP drift car.

You want as much grip as possible for the front, and as much grip as your WHP will allow to spin your tire for the rear.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
225 up front, and 245 rears. (270-300whp).

I will be switching to 235 in rears, but I'm also a noob for drifting. Lol
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #10
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier13 View Post
400hp 1jz

235/40/17 front federal 595 (good front grip)
255/40/17 rear nexen n3000 (last forever)

also alignment plays a big part, wheel offset, ect..
I'm on 17x7.5 350Z wheels in the front... I was thinking about going 215-225/40/17 but wasn't sure... I have 235/45/17 and I rub a little bit but it's like monster truck wheels.

Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
PandahZ650
Zilvia Junkie

PandahZ650 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PandahZ650
I got a stock KA and run
Front: 215/45/17 Hankook RS3 at 30psi on a 17x9 +7
-4* camber, 0 toe, 7* caster (Planning to move up to 235s up front soon and moving to a x9.5 wheel)

Rear: 235/45/17 at 35-40 psi (depending on the course layout and the tire compound) on a 17x10 -8
-2* camber, 0 toe
I've ran a variety of tires in the rear from very cheap tires to more expensive ones: Direzza DZ101 Star Spec, Falken Rt615k, Hankook RS2, Hankook RS3, Federal 595ss, Federal 595RSR, Triangle TR968
I'm not an expert but this is what I noticed:
Different types of tires in the rear need to be driven differently. Some might have more side bite or forward bite, some will have the grip off throttle or on throttle, they also might act differently when they get heat into them and being smoked out. If you are just learning I'd recommend to just pick a rear tire you can easily afford and stick with it until you get consistent before trying different tires.
PandahZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
lg54
Zilvia Member

lg54 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 235 up front and 225 on the rear. 350whp. Thinking about going 235 or 245 on the back to get more grip. Opinions?
lg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
how do your rear tires feel under 28psi?
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
bataangpinoy
Zilvia Addict

bataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymorebataangpinoy is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandahZ650 View Post
Different types of tires in the rear need to be driven differently. Some might have more side bite or forward bite, some will have the grip off throttle or on throttle, they also might act differently when they get heat into them and being smoked out. If you are just learning I'd recommend to just pick a rear tire you can easily afford and stick with it until you get consistent before trying different tires.
Bingo! Consistency is key!

PSA; don't run Continental Conti-ProContacts. Ran a pair for a whole day at Poconos, at 44psi HOT.

Middle of the tread likes to chunk; no side bite, little grip off throttle. They make okay smoke, but they make the rear feel a bit too loose when off power for my liking.
bataangpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
mogli9000
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (68)
mogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enoughmogli9000 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
365 - 20 - 24's

All day. Consistent as fuck.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #16
n33sanz
Leaky Injector

n33sanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli9000 View Post
365 - 20 - 24's

All day. Consistent as fuck.
^^LOL^^ Chrome too!
n33sanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 AM   #17
AzS13hatch
Leaky Injector

AzS13hatch is an unknown quantity at this point
As stated above, keeping the tire you use consistent is extremely important when learning to drift. Also it seems to be that a lot of people want as little traction in the rear as possible which is extremely untrue. Someone stated that you should have the most grip you can while keeping the ability to spin the tires. The more grip you have the more consistent your car will be(obviously you don't want too much and not be able to break the tires loose). Tire size is not as important as what tire you are running (225 time attack slick will have way more grip than a 255+ cheap tire etc...)
AzS13hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
WRC n FormulaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandahZ650 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bataangpinoy View Post
how do your rear tires feel under 28psi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzS13hatch View Post
As stated above, keeping the tire you use consistent is extremely important when learning to drift. Also it seems to be that a lot of people want as little traction in the rear as possible which is extremely untrue. Someone stated that you should have the most grip you can while keeping the ability to spin the tires. The more grip you have the more consistent your car will be(obviously you don't want too much and not be able to break the tires loose). Tire size is not as important as what tire you are running (225 time attack slick will have way more grip than a 255+ cheap tire etc...)
Forgot to respond to this but I agree, definitely makes a lot of sense (and I've noticed) that the grip of a tire can depend a lot more on the model/compound versus just the width of it. Anyway, the 225 square federal 595s seemed to do pretty well at the event, I wish I could've gone more this year but wasn't able to. Luckily the tires still have quite a bit of tread left, I'm stoked for next year/season! Thanks guys

Edit: I uploaded a few runs from my first event if you're curious or have any tips, I know I could work on my hand position in general (I think I have improved since then though). Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNLXiGTfsg
Old 04-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
Smitty64life

Smitty64life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC n FormulaD View Post
Forgot to respond to this but I agree, definitely makes a lot of sense (and I've noticed) that the grip of a tire can depend a lot more on the model/compound versus just the width of it. Anyway, the 225 square federal 595s seemed to do pretty well at the event, I wish I could've gone more this year but wasn't able to. Luckily the tires still have quite a bit of tread left, I'm stoked for next year/season! Thanks guys

Edit: I uploaded a few runs from my first event if you're curious or have any tips, I know I could work on my hand position in general (I think I have improved since then though). Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKNLXiGTfsg
you need to go faster. throw the car into the corner. clutch kick if you start to straighten. use e brake to hold the drift longer
Smitty64life is offline   Reply With Quote