Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
koukizhang is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At to what point is a car unfixable?

Just wondering at what point is the frame of a car past the point of no return? My friend just got in an accident in his S14 and was devastated. Instead of losing hope, he's going to tube the front and rear and repair all the areas that were damaged.

This got me thinking, at what point can a car no longer be fixed? Specifically, if the frame got damaged, is there a way to pull it/repair it? For example if you were t-boned in an accident and the frame rails were pushed in, is there a way to come back from that?

Just wanna know so I can stay positive if my S14 was ever wrecked...
koukizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In Insurance point of view, if the damage is equal or greater than half of what the car is worth, it's a total loss.., you can fix the frame to a certain point. But t boned cars are a lot of money to fix... if the car is worth it to you, you can do like your buddy and tube it and try and get it as straight as possible... but you have to consider it's now prob not going to be as safe on the street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
In Insurance point of view, if the damage is equal or greater than half of what the car is worth, it's a total loss..,
Claims adjuster here.

That depends a lot on state and your company's policy. Some have 75% rules some don't have thresholds.

http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles...hresholds.aspx
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

So disregarding insurance and all that other street legal bullshit, it is possible to repair the frame? And how would this be done? Just pulling it and trying to get it as straight as possible?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
"Fixable" damage must be equal to or less than the amount of skill and/or budget you have at your disposal.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

sick thx m8. that belongs in a dictionary or some shit
Old 04-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukizhang View Post
So disregarding insurance and all that other street legal bullshit, it is possible to repair the frame? And how would this be done? Just pulling it and trying to get it as straight as possible?

Yes you can repair a frame, but to a certain point it makes no sense and would be better just to get another car unless you want a drift missile.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
"Fixable" damage must be equal to or less than the amount of skill and/or budget you have at your disposal.
Bingo. Anything can be fixed as long as you've got the skill or the depth of your pockets allows.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
shawn1331
Leaky Injector

shawn1331 is an unknown quantity at this point
Everythings fixable. Time, money and skill are what limits you. We've been fixing frame rails in Canada for years and years on these cars and if done right you don't even know they've been fixed.
shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
I also run with the classic car crowd. Seen one guy rebuild a 66 mustang where the only original part was the roof. Put the rust bucket on a jig and replaced everything.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

That's fucking dope. Thanks for the info, just wanna reassure myself that everything will be okay in case I get t-boned by some bitch on her phone.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Literally anything is "fixable" but eventually it gets to the point where what you started with is basically just a pattern to put all the new stuff together like mentioned above with that mustang or other old car restorations
Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Had to make that decision with my old car. Hit the pit wall after 4 years of drifting. Wasn't too bad of a hit, but it tweaked the entire front end including the opposite side of the engine bay. The wheel that hit the wall got shoved back ripping the TC Rod Bracket out and destoryed the frame rail in that area. Typically a tube front-end is cut in front of the TC Bracket mount meaning that was out of the question for my car. The options were to have it put on a frame rack and pulled straight then somehow rebuild that mount area, or have the a new front clip put on. I figure the body shop would have been $2-3k and I wouldn't have been confident in a replaced front clip. So I parted the car. Made $1k on nick-nacks, then bought a new shell for $2k.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #14
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukizhang View Post
That's fucking dope. Thanks for the info, just wanna reassure myself that everything will be okay in case I get t-boned by some bitch on her phone.
I feel the same way. I'm scared of the abundance of dumbass drivers more than anything else. Current daily is a 2.5Rs coupe which isnt worth much but sentimental value is up there. Next daily is gonna be a big ass Tahoe or something that will make anyone regret slamming into me.

I fucked up my stock auto S14 way back when, spent a load of money fixing her. No Regertzzzzzz

Also, to answer your question I would say if you got T-boned or you have a severely damaged car from a rollover then yeah I wouldn't waste my time.

Honestly, just get a good career, get a girl who doesn't give a shit about cars(if you like girls), don't tell her about how much money you spend on it (no shared bank accounts), buy a house with lots of property (to build a garage on) or one with a 3 car garage at min, keep a spare shell or two and you'll be fine.

Or you can cage the hell out of the car. I'm talking full tube chassis and shit so instead of anything crumpling, you'll just kill someone
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

You just described my life. My wife doesn't give one damn about my cars. We have separate bank accounts. We live on 3.5 acres with a 2400 sq ft shop.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #16
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
yup its how much money you want to spend, I have been restoring cars with my dad since I was 7, have had several classics with over 100k invested just through us to make them look like they just rolled off the showroom floor...its amazing what a dollar can transform into!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #17
koukizhang
Zilvia Member

The sentimental value will always be far greater than the value of a dollar to me, so it's good to hear whatever happens I'll be able to keep doin my thing
Old 04-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's metal. Anything can be done with metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote