Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
A better power steering reservoir, my 4th attempt.

In the quest to bring you high quality and affordable products, I've fabricated this baffled power steering reservoir prototype. I'll be submitting this through the full rigors of track abuse, as it's been quite successful on my daily.

The kit I've come up with using the KRC reservoir is quite effective, but cost prohibitive to a lot of people.

Is there anything you'd like to see in a power steering kit that you don't find on the market currently? I have personal experience with another kit and it was woefully lacking in the ability to keep fluid in the reservoir and not leak out the rack. I've solved those issues already.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Very interesting. I'd consider being interested in one if you also produced more of a stock sized one (I understand why yours is larger than OEM) as I have mine mounted up by the clutch master so space is important to me.

Obviously, price dependent.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #3
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Very interesting. I'd consider being interested in one if you also produced more of a stock sized one (I understand why yours is larger than OEM) as I have mine mounted up by the clutch master so space is important to me.

Obviously, price dependent.
Do you track your car? If so, do you have issues with it there? I’ve seen a couple people do this, but none that see the track.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
damn...that's one expensive reservoir. what are the benefits to using that reservoir? the two that i see are, larger capacity and filtration.
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240KA View Post
damn...that's one expensive reservoir. what are the benefits to using that reservoir? the two that i see are, larger capacity and filtration.
It's the ONLY off the shelf can that will stop the pump from ingesting air from pump cavitation or overheating. This is due to increased capacity and because it's very well baffled. My reservoir mimics these without the filter, which you don't really need. I'll be testing this one on track and then moving forward with production if it's successful.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Do you track your car? If so, do you have issues with it there? I’ve seen a couple people do this, but none that see the track.
I do not, however I do know people who do and don't have any issues with it up there. MOST of my issues (so far) have been due to leaky racks / fittings.

I'd assume with the longer lines (I'd imagine its less than a foot) it should technically help with cooling anyways.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
for the track people why not add a cooler to the kit?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
That's cake, but unnecessary for 95% of people who will buy this. We can easily add it as an option.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
It's the ONLY off the shelf can that will stop the pump from ingesting air from pump cavitation or overheating. This is due to increased capacity and because it's very well baffled. My reservoir mimics these without the filter, which you don't really need. I'll be testing this one on track and then moving forward with production if it's successful.
So how much for the kit without the fancy KRC res?? I see it on your site for 450 for the kit with the KRC goodies??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
awwwww, come on man! don't say "ONLY"!!!! what other reservoirs do you have experience with? i'm actually putting together a p/s system for my new car that didn't come with it, so i'm pretty far down the rabbit hole of p/s stuff, so this is very interesting to me.

i just google image'd "power steering reservoir" and found a couple that look to be of decent quality, but i'm only judging based off their aluminum finish and price :P

http://www.kse-racing.com/shopexd.asp?id=108
looks decent and has dual filters

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...inum-reservoir
i run a turnone rebuilt ls1 p/s pump in my ls1. it was highly recommended to me, so i assume the reservoir is also of high quality. the reservoir has an internal "tee baffle", whatever that is.

any input on either one of those?

also, could you measure the capacity of that new KRC one that you have?

alsooooo, you mentioned your prototype reservoir not having a filter. i was planning on running one of these Cardone filters if i ended up going with the stock s13 reservoir, since apparently filtering your p/s is a thing (i had no idea). Cardone PNs = 20-0038F, 20-P038F, 20-0012F, 20-0058F

dibs on your prototype? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
hey Poorman, wasn't codyace running a cooler on his p/s setup and still having issues with "strawberry milkshake"? right? i just read all 13 pages of it on NRR...so apparently just slapping a cooler doesn't necessarily fix that problem.

although........it seems that his issue was from debris getting stuck in the "main pressure fitting and the flow control valve"
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 AM   #11
Tempo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (39)
Tempo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
I ran into your kit a while back and my only concern was all the talk about AN lines leaking at the rack like mentioned above and in other threads. I'm not currently in the market for one now but it would be awesome to have it as a considerable option to upgrade.

IG - allen.kerose
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
So how much for the kit without the fancy KRC res?? I see it on your site for 450 for the kit with the KRC goodies??

I'll let you know when I get pricing finalized with the new canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240KA View Post
awwwww, come on man! don't say "ONLY"!!!! what other reservoirs do you have experience with? i'm actually putting together a p/s system for my new car that didn't come with it, so i'm pretty far down the rabbit hole of p/s stuff, so this is very interesting to me.

although........it seems that his issue was from debris getting stuck in the "main pressure fitting and the flow control valve"
Meh, neither of those have very good baffling. I tried that second unit, and it loved to blow fluid out the top of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
I ran into your kit a while back and my only concern was all the talk about AN lines leaking at the rack like mentioned above and in other threads. I'm not currently in the market for one now but it would be awesome to have it as a considerable option to upgrade.
I use steel adapter fittings at the rack, which allows you to tighten the fittings properly and therefore they don't leak.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Poorman, sending you apm. Got a question about replacing the banjo bolt portion of the high pressure pump (I see it in the high dollar power steering kit on your site)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Poorman, sending you apm. Got a question about replacing the banjo bolt portion of the high pressure pump (I see it in the high dollar power steering kit on your site)
Replied. We replace that with a KRC flow control fitting, which helps reduce the "overboosted" feeling that s-chassis power steering pumps have with AN high pressure lines.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #15
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Old Prototype vs new prototype.

Just waiting on a cap and bung to finish this. I'm going to need a test car for this, as both of the shop s-chassis are being rebuilt.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Danscomp

Trader Rating: (0)
Danscomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What sort of baffling did you do in this vs. the KRC one? Not sure if that's part of the R&D magic..
Danscomp is offline   Reply With Quote