Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
kazuma
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
kazuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
clutch sticks then starts working again?!

Okay so today I finally fixed all the bugs(or so I thought) and started to drive the car fairly aggressive(set boost to 10psi) and after taking a turn fairly quick I noticed my clutch pedal kind of change engagement from mid to low engagement point, then after 1-2 shifts it went to the floor completely while I was driving!

my first thought was either MC or the slave just died on me but then I tried to just lift the clutch back up with my foot and when I did that I had full pressure again! I babied it home and checked for any signs of leaks and I found none...wtf happened?!

is it the pivot ball or the lever or maybe the spring thing that holds them together? I am confused and not sure of what it could be .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
kazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe one of the cylinders is sticking, but not leaking.

My MC has been known to feel a bit "master-cylinder on a chalkboard", and not return quite right, but never leaked.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
kazuma
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Maybe one of the cylinders is sticking, but not leaking.

My MC has been known to feel a bit "master-cylinder on a chalkboard", and not return quite right, but never leaked.
Thanks, is there anyway I can check for that being the case besides replacing parts?
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuma View Post
Thanks, is there anyway I can check for that being the case besides replacing parts?
Well, it would be something you might feel in the pedal. If you feel very fine bumps (like the feeling of a rubber seal catching in the bore), or if you hear a creaking as you clutch, it's your cylidner(s), probably the master, as the fluid damps some feeling from the slave.

I mean, I'd say keep driving it, and be weary of leaks, and if something more happens worry about it then.

Is it bled right, and does it have the damper block on it still? Everyone says it's about impossible to bleed with the block on it, I don't know because I removed mine when I flushed my clutch.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
kazuma
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Well, it would be something you might feel in the pedal. If you feel very fine bumps (like the feeling of a rubber seal catching in the bore), or if you hear a creaking as you clutch, it's your cylidner(s), probably the master, as the fluid damps some feeling from the slave.

I mean, I'd say keep driving it, and be weary of leaks, and if something more happens worry about it then.

Is it bled right, and does it have the damper block on it still? Everyone says it's about impossible to bleed with the block on it, I don't know because I removed mine when I flushed my clutch.
Yes, it has been bled WITHOUT the stupid damper box lol.

I'll drive it around and keep an eye out. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
kazuma
Zilvia Member

Just an update, I went ahead and checked both the slave and master cylinders and this is what I found:

clutch.jpg

so apparently I had so much pressure going to the slave that I broke off the wing of the slave?! how the hell did that happen!

lol it's an easy fix but I'd like to make sure it doesn't happen again so any tips to help against this would be awesome! BTW, if I remember correctly this was a 300zx slave as well so shouldn't it be able to hold more?