Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
Laotian240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
J2 Coilover Review

So J2 engineering is a fairly new company, not much info on them. They are identical with the new line that isis and godspeed have been doing but cheaper in price. So i thought I'd do a review on their coilovers for the s13.

basic info

Detailed Specifications
Front Spring Rate: 8 kg/mm
Rear Spring Rate: 6 kg/mm
High quality CNC machined steel and aluminum construction
46mm Mono-tube shock design
Independent ride height adjustable Perch, doesn't compromise Preload (Spring Rates)
32 Way dampening adjustment for rebound
Front camber plates are Included
Fully assembled applicable on certain applications only
100% Brand New, Never Been Used or Installed
Professional installation is highly recommended

ANYWAYS on to the Review pick them up for a great deal.
Just hit up Jonathon, [email protected], he'll hook it up FATjust mention thomas referred you

So the box was well packaged, came with extra hardware, studs(which was nice), wrenches. blah blah blah

The install went well everything fit like a glove, I had no trouble.

Camber adjustments. basic

How my car sits. I also took the car for a test drive, I set the dampener levels to 8 clicks in front and 6 clicks in the rear, for daily driving. The ride quality actually shocked me. It was real smooth handle well. Went over 2 sets of railroad tracks wasn't bouncing all over the place, it flew right over them. I don't feel the little bumps that I use too. It's not too soft where its too bouncy. Not too stiff that it jumps.

wheel specs are 18x10-18 18x12.5 -32

PROS I had
1. The rear mounts are fully threaded so they bottom out. (to go lower)
2. About 4" drop from stock height.
3. Great deal for coilovers under 700
4. Ride quality was great, perfect for daily driving, could stiffen it up for track as well.( I've ridden in tein, stance, d2,emusa) I say the comfort is very close to stance and tein, mess with the dampeners a bit and they possibly just as good.
5. The shocks have wider and larger threads so it doesn't take a thousand years to lower and raise the shock mount.I mean sitting there for a minute unwinding those things is ridiculous, but not with these
6. Dampening capabilities/pillow ball mounts. A lot of the cheaper coilovers don't offer this.
7. They don't need to be broken in. Such as megan, ready to install and go.

CONS I had
1. The collars that hold the spring perch weren't tight. Maybe it was just my set, but no biggie. just double check and tighten if you pick up a set.
2. They provide new nuts for the studs on the camber plates/ mounting plate. So you're gonna need a 13mm and 15mm instead of 12mm and 14mm they bumped it up another mm. Idk why
3. I stiffened up the dampener to 32 clicks up front and 30 in the back it was pretty bad, horrible actually. fking bouncing all over the place. Clicks are counting up from most soft to hard. avoid using the higher settings

Well no much to complain about YET, but ill keep this updated and answer any other questions. These coilovers have potential, I'll see how long they'll last, but i highly doubt they will blow anytime soon.

Last edited by Laotian240; 03-15-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Laotian240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Who are they made by? They look like they could come out of the BC factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Looks exactly like MRs. Just out of curiousity, what other coilovers have you used that you can compare this to?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liangkch View Post
Fantastic work so far. Keep it up!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Who are they made by? They look like they could come out of the BC factory.
I was researching this as well, It may be there new line of coilovers. ISIS and Godspeed are also using them they released the same time.
Taiwan Bor-Chuann= BC-racing =
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Looks exactly like MRs. Just out of curiousity, what other coilovers have you used that you can compare this to?
4. Ride quality was great, perfect for daily driving, could stiffen it up for track as well.( I've ridden in tein, stance, d2,emusa) I say the comfort is very close to stance and tein, mess with the dampeners a bit and they possibly just as good.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And so we add another one to the list of hundreds of generic coilover brands. Another to the list of coilovers that "ride good".

This is an incredibly well done review, I can't complain, you were doing great up until it said "the dampeners are well valved". No they aren't. They're Taiwanese cheap coils just like the last new brand of coils.

Let me repeat, I think you did a great job on your review, I'm just making the point that it appears these are just another brand of generic coilovers, just like all the others.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Thanks! Yeah I see were you're getting at. Past few years coilovers brands keep popping up. I think this batch of coilovers is different though. Industry is growing so its easier and cheaper to develope quality products. But I have no way to prove it yet. Just an opinion. But thanks again for looking over my review
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laotian240 View Post
Thanks!

I was researching this as well, It may be there new line of coilovers. ISIS and Godspeed are also using them they released the same time.
BCs own coils tend to be of better quality then the ones they make for everyone else. But that just makes sense why skimp on your own name and make better quality for someone else.
Quote:

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
FourtyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice review.

Keep this thread updated, I want to know how these things hold up!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
serious specs on those 4 luggers!
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyKid View Post
Nice review.

Keep this thread updated, I want to know how these things hold up!
yeah for sure I've been driving around all day, handling has improved. been taking some hard turns to push these coils a lil bit. really cuts down that leaning feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
serious specs on those 4 luggers!
thanks ill be going 18x11 up front soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

How are the sharp fast bumps? Catch any air on them?
Quote:

Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #13
alexisthemovie
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
alexisthemovie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alexisthemovie
How wide are your fenders? Those specs don't seem right to me.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #14
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry, but a product review after having them for two measly days? The fuck man. Spend some time with them, get to know them, then right a review. Fuck, it takes me more than two days to get a good idea of how it is to jerk it with the leftie rather than right.
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe. View Post
I'm sorry, but a product review after having them for two measly days? The fuck man. Spend some time with them, get to know them, then right a review. Fuck, it takes me more than two days to get a good idea of how it is to jerk it with the leftie rather than right.
This. How do you know the handling is improved? You autocross, drift or track on your previous set up? You have any experience driving 10/10ths?

What about alignment settings? What did you change before? What are your new specs? You have any lap times to compare them to? Did you corner-weight and balance the set up? What about your sway bars? You have to adjust those to balance over-understeer? What's it feel like mid corner? Does it push on corner exit? What about your previous suspension mods? Any changes to those? You adjust castor to improve turn-in?

I like how you drop your ratty-ass car to the ground, never even mention getting it aligned and automatically state "the handling is improved".

The fuck?

And what's your definition of "ride's good"? Is it driving while keeping your teeth from chattering? Does a pot hole unbalance the entire car? What about the low-speed damping? High-speed? What the fuck difference does a click make? How many clicks does it take to make a difference? Does the nose dive under hard braking? What about squat on acceleration?

These are just some of the questions I'd expect from an actual coilover review and this isn't a fucking review, it's a circle jerk of self-congrats for buying a shitty set of coilovers meant for nothing more than bandwagon jumping.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:

So it's same shitty garbage coilovers then?

Their new line? LOL.

I am curious about your previous experience with other coilovers.
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
How are the sharp fast bumps? Catch any air on them?
About the short fast bumps idk if i've gone over any yet, but it feels like they're absorbing most of the impact. i don't feel any jumps, or spikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisthemovie View Post
How wide are your fenders? Those specs don't seem right to me.
20mm in front 50mm in back
Quote:
Im keeping this updated daily/weekly. And i dont need a few days to tell people some basic info that they wouldn't be able to obtain if they hadn't purchased a set yet. Such as install process, what it came with, quality of construction. and that's to bad you don't adapt to fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle336 View Post
What about alignment settings? What did you change before? What are your new specs? You have any lap times to compare them to? Did you corner-weight and balance the set up? What about your sway bars? You have to adjust those to balance over-understeer? What's it feel like mid corner? Does it push on corner exit? What about your previous suspension mods? Any changes to those? You adjust castor to improve turn-in?

I like how you drop your ratty-ass car to the ground, never even mention getting it aligned and automatically state "the handling is improved".

The fuck?

And what's your definition of "ride's good"? Is it driving while keeping your teeth from chattering? Does a pot hole unbalance the entire car? What about the low-speed damping? High-speed? What the fuck difference does a click make? How many clicks does it take to make a difference? Does the nose dive under hard braking? What about squat on acceleration?

These are just some of the questions I'd expect from an actual coilover review and this isn't a fucking review, it's a circle jerk of self-congrats for buying a shitty set of coilovers meant for nothing more than bandwagon jumping.
OKay let me clear the air on a few things. 240's did not come with upgraded arms and suspension mods. with that being said. It does improve handling based of a stock 240. On top of that i was running Emusas before, and these handle even better than that set. I've already describe the quality after stating the ride was"good". and for the clicks its basic info
1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use
17-32: Suggested for common street use.
And as for a review, it is an opinion that is what a review is, my opinion. And theres no bandwagon, i don't see how there could be a bandwagon here,
I'm not here to convince you to buy these nor sell them to you. This is answer any questions and give more insight for people who consider to buy these. if your're not interested fuck off and find a bandwagon to jump onto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_style View Post
So it's same shitty garbage coilovers then?

Their new line? LOL.

I am curious about your previous experience with other coilovers.
Yes i suppose its the same "garbage" coilovers as isis and godspeed.
As for being a new line, i said maybe. Since BC racing is the manufacturer, it is possible they engineered a new line.
And other coils i've experience is emusa, on my own car, which i got off a trade. And my friend had d2 and stance currently.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

bump added a con.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yes i suppose its the same "garbage" coilovers as isis and godspeed.
As for being a new line, i said maybe. Since BC racing is the manufacturer, it is possible they engineered a new line.
And other coils i've experience is emusa, on my own car, which i got off a trade. And my friend had d2 and stance currently.
BC did not add a new line or they would be BC coilovers not J2, these are the standard platform for cheap coilovers that BC manufactures with someones sticker slapped on it just like Megan, ISIS, etc.
Quote:

Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OKay let me clear the air on a few things. 240's did not come with upgraded arms and suspension mods. with that being said. It does improve handling based of a stock 240. On top of that i was running Emusas before, and these handle even better than that set. I've already describe the quality after stating the ride was"good". and for the clicks its basic info
1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use
17-32: Suggested for common street use.
And as for a review, it is an opinion that is what a review is, my opinion. And theres no bandwagon, i don't see how there could be a bandwagon here,
I'm not here to convince you to buy these nor sell them to you. This is answer any questions and give more insight for people who consider to buy these. if your're not interested fuck off and find a bandwagon to jump onto.
the point is that 2 days isn't really any sort of sufficient time to develop an opinion man.
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
Got Insulin?
Leaky Injector

Got Insulin? is an unknown quantity at this point
Got Insulin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
the point is that 2 days isn't really any sort of sufficient time to develop an opinion man.
I agree with you but I think that an opinion for "right out of the box" is warranted and necessary in any review.

As mentioned by the OP, this review will be updated periodically so the "review" does not stop at the first post.

Anyway, carry on.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
stunnaben
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
stunnaben is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
So J2 engineering is a fairly new company, not much info on them. They are identical with the new line that isis and godspeed have been doing but cheaper in price. So i thought I'd do a review on their coilovers for the s13.

basic info

Detailed Specifications
Front Spring Rate: 8 kg/mm
Rear Spring Rate: 6 kg/mm
High quality CNC machined steel and aluminum construction
46mm Mono-tube shock design
Independent ride height adjustable Perch, doesn't compromise Preload (Spring Rates)
32 Way dampening adjustment for rebound
Front camber plates are Included
Fully assembled applicable on certain applications only
100% Brand New, Never Been Used or Installed
Professional installation is highly recommended

ANYWAYS on to the Review pick them up for a great deal.
Just hit up Jonathon, [email protected], he'll hook it up FATjust mention thomas referred you

So the box was well packaged, came with extra hardware, studs(which was nice), wrenches. blah blah blah

The install went well everything fit like a glove, I had no trouble.

Camber adjustments. basic

How my car sits. I also took the car for a test drive, I set the dampener levels to 8 clicks in front and 6 clicks in the rear, for daily driving. The ride quality actually shocked me. It was real smooth handle well. Went over 2 sets of railroad tracks wasn't bouncing all over the place, it flew right over them. I don't feel the little bumps that I use too. It's not too soft where its too bouncy. Not too stiff that it jumps.

wheel specs are 18x10-18 18x12.5 -32

PROS I had
1. The rear mounts are fully threaded so they bottom out. (to go lower)
2. About 4" drop from stock height.
3. Great deal for coilovers under 700
5. The shocks have wider and larger threads so it doesn't take a thousand years to lower and raise the shock mount.I mean sitting there for a minute unwinding those things is ridiculous, but not with these
6. Dampening capabilities/pillow ball mounts. A lot of the cheaper coilovers don't offer this.
7. They don't need to be broken in. Such as megan, ready to install and go.

CONS I had
1. The collars that hold the spring perch weren't tight. Maybe it was just my set, but no biggie. just double check and tighten if you pick up a set.
2. They provide new nuts for the studs on the camber plates/ mounting plate. So you're gonna need a 13mm and 15mm instead of 12mm and 14mm they bumped it up another mm. Idk why
3. I stiffened up the dampener to 32 clicks up front and 30 in the back it was pretty bad, horrible actually. fking bouncing all over the place. Clicks are counting up from most soft to hard. avoid using the higher settings

Well no much to complain about YET, but ill keep this updated and answer any other questions. These coilovers have potential, I'll see how long they'll last, but i highly doubt they will blow anytime soon.
I sometimes ask myself if people truly understand the concept behind the adjustable dampers on coilovers. It's not a all clicks are applicable applications. You're dealing with a spring-damper system with a input force.

Take a look at the picture below.

A critically damped scenario is what you want. Overdamped (too stiff) = harsh ride and underdamped (too soft) = bouncy ride.
stunnaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaben View Post
I sometimes ask myself if people truly understand the concept behind the adjustable dampers on coilovers. It's not a all clicks are applicable applications. You're dealing with a spring-damper system with a input force.

Take a look at the picture below.

A critically damped scenario is what you want. Overdamped (too stiff) = harsh ride and underdamped (too soft) = bouncy ride.
thanks for for the info, and for clearing that up,. much appreciated
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
No one get pardon here mayne lol.....nice review op keep us updated as promised
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #26
Laotian240
Zilvia Member

actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvi22003 View Post
No one get pardon here mayne lol.....nice review op keep us updated as promised
Car was stolen :/ unfortunately everything was taken so I am no longer able to reply to this review thread
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
juvi22003
Zilvia Member

juvi22003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Car was stolen :/ unfortunately everything was taken so I am no longer able to reply to this review thread
Oh man sorry to hear.....