Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs down Output shaft woes! R32 Diff -> 5 bolt output shafts -> US interchange? J30? Z32?

Summary: I need output shafts from a US car that are the exact same as the R32 5 bolt output shafts. Will z32 n/a shafts work? Note: pre 94 j30 shafts DO NOT WORK (see below)

Backstory: For my 97 non-ABS s14 I bought a r32 (4.36) + nismo 2way diff+pumpkin+axles combo off of an Arizona driver. I swapped the heatsinked cover for my stock 14 cover and bolted everything in. Everything was great for a quite some time. Driving on the freeway the other day, I had an axle break at the CV joint closest to the diff. This obviously killed the axle, and dented the flange on the pass. output shaft. So I need a new pass. 5 bolt axle and output shaft.

I do a little research and come under the impression that the pre 94 j30 might have what I need. I hit the local JY and pulled a '92 j30 VLSD pumpkin and both axles. I am not certain if the donor car was ABS or not.

However, the output shafts from the j30 are not correct. The location of the first bevel, "oiling spiral surface" and the spline placement and overall length are not the same as my r32 output shafts. It appears that the driver side would probably "work", but the passenger side shaft is probably 1" or more too long. There is no way these shafts will work.

I also tried out my s14 non-vlsd non-abs 6 bolt output shafts, but they are too short.

My friend has a Z32 N/A parts car that I am going to try to pull the output shafts off. I am not sure if that car is VLSD or ABS yet. If anyone can help clarify exactly what I need I would appreciate it!

To clarify, the r32 output shafts I have do NOT have the external tooth/abs ring on them.

(Sorry I have not uploaded the photos of my diff + output shaft collection yet... Maybe tonight..)
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
I'll post specs as far as lenght and spline count and bolt pattern later but heres a pic.

UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
UNISA JECS you never cease to amaze me. Thank you for always coming through with the infos!!

I'll shoot you a pic tonight of my output shaft collection =1
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

A few photos...

^ Front left are the r32 shafts I need to replace. Rear left are 92 j30 rear right are stock s14.

^ R32 shafts

^ 92 j30 vlsd shafts

^ s14 non abs open diff shafts
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Your combo almost looks like 1 J30 short shaft and 1 Z32 short shaft.

The reason for the different lenght flanges in part is do to the difference's in final drive ring and pinion combo's, the differential has to be offset either to the left or right of the case depending on the final drive of the pinion, some pinion ratios result in alot fatter or smaller pinion.

What final drive ratio was your R32?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Thanks for the reply.

FD is a 4.36. I believe it is NOT from a GTR.

And yes the driver side j30 shaft seemed like it installed and would have worked fine. Obviously the pass side is way too long.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Try and measure your R32 shafts, I measured the J30's and lost the other measurement :/

J30:
5 1/16"
3 5/16"

I took my measurements from the base of the shaft were the bearing seal would seat to the very top of the shaft.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

I didn't post these pics because they are terrible. I forget the exact measurements, I'll have to remeasure tonight

Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

If you can measure from here this is were i measured mines from:

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

I believe these to be the part numbers of yoru output shafts

38220-41F00 RH
38220-41F01 LH

These would also be the same for the CA18 with the 4.36 final drive and there isn;t a Nissan/Infiniti match.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
and there isn;t a Nissan/Infiniti match.

Thank you for the information.

Are you saying there are no nissan/infiniti cars I can get these shafts from (Aside from r32)?

How close would the z32 n/a shafts be?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELLO*SOS View Post
Thank you for the information.

Are you saying there are no nissan/infiniti cars I can get these shafts from (Aside from r32)?

How close would the z32 n/a shafts be?
I know there are USDM Nissan's with the 4.363 (pathfinder or xterra) and those may work just depends no telling weather there 5 or 6 bolt (ABS or not doesn;t matter). The JDM S13 with the 4.363 will also work for you, but I cross checked the R32 parts number and came up with nothing for nissan/infiniti.

Gimme some good measurements of yoru r32 shafts and i'll pop out the z32's and remeasure them.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
Albert_Trd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Albert_Trd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry for the Bump, but im in the same situation, I have r32 diff that has no output shafts, trying to find some local.

Did you ever resolve this?
Old 06-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #14
Albert_Trd
Leaky Injector

anyone? bueller?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
OP mentions PRE 94 J30 5 bolt shafts.... the J30 shafts I was talking about were from a 94+ J30 and are 6 bolt. I'm not positive but I believe they will work. Last I looked they had similar lengths... you'd just need to cut new grooves for the C clips. If I have time tonight I'll compare the 94+ J30 shafts with my R32 shafts.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #16
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I have some experience with this. As far as I found there is NO cross reference for the R32 stubs. The R32's are 30 spline, just about everything else is 29 spline. Then you have to deal with the length issues. One of mine was bent up a bit and I just ended up repairing it because I couldn't find anything that would work. I would scour YAJ for BNR32 stub shafts.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #17
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
I have R32 GTS-T (4.3 r&p) stubs. They are 29 spline.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #18
Albert_Trd
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
I have R32 GTS-T (4.3 r&p) stubs. They are 29 spline.
Ya, If you can post pics for reference that would be awesome
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #19
brianglawson
Nissanaholic!

brianglawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to brianglawson Send a message via AIM to brianglawson Send a message via Yahoo to brianglawson
MAN!!! I am having the same problems... I bought some 6 bolt VLSD output shafts hoping to make mine work, and apparently I have a 4.36 rear end also, and they have different offset output shafts..... so I will have to find some 5 bolt axles to make mine work....... You say you bought axles and all.... do you have spare 5 bolt axles to part with????

See, my 6 bolt VLSD shaft is slightly too long