Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #21211
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
RB20DET, Coolant Temp getting too hot

Parts
-Defi Racer Water Temp Gauge and a Circuit Sports Fan controller with a Gauge reading as well.
-12" ISIS fans, Pullers
-ISIS Dual Core Radiator
-Red Toyota Coolant 30/70 + Water Wetter
-CX FMIC Racing Intercooler Kit

Defi Gauge will read close to 110C when I am driving in (80-90F) weather. Circuit Sports gauge is reading 97C.
Circuit sports sensor is where the old sensor for the cluster was. Defi sensor is near the top radiator (I'm using that adapter for the hose)

Both are pretty high.

Everything is new (Radiator, Water Pump, Thermostat, Fans). Will a oil cooler cool this thing down or no?

Weird thing is. Yesterday I had the bleeder valve loose. As long as the car was standing still, Temps would go to 78C but when the fan came on it dropped to 70C.

However when I closed the bleeder valve and took it for a drive it Defi gauge was reading close to 100C while the circuit sports was around 83-84C with fans on, im sure if I kept driving it would of finally creeped up to the numbers I listed 2 paragraphs up.

I am relying more on the DEFI gauge and wondering why I am running so hot and if there is anything I can do to make it run cooler.
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #21212
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_lol View Post
Okay another question about the exhaust on S14a

So I have two o2 sensors, first in turbo elbow and another in catalytic converter, I bought a straight pipe and it has no boss to fit the o2, my question is that if I unplug the second o2 and tuck it somewhere in the chassis will I get any other issues than CEL?

I can live with the CEL for a while since Im gonna get my car tuned and remove the o2 sensor completely but can I drive the car for about a month without any issues? It shouldnt affect fueling etc since the first o2 does that, right?
That should be a cat temp warning sensor. It's not tied into the ECU. You'll be fine.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #21213
VTEC_lol
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
VTEC_lol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I made a thread of this but I need an answer asap, so my car has this issue that if I turn my car to ACC my fuel pump primes normally but as soon as the priming is done, fuel pressure drops to 0. When I turn my car on, pressure goes to 40psi and if I kink the vacuum it rises to 48-50psi, and when I turn my car off the pressure drops to 0 instantly.
I'm guessing it's either bad afpr or fuel pump check valve or pump itself?
VTEC_lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #21214
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Can someone tell me what this retainer goes to? I looked up the p/n with no avail. Hopefully someone recognizes it

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #21215
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^^
Bumper support/ retainer?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #21216
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
^^^^^
Bumper support/ retainer?

I figured that's what it is, just wasnt sure if it was for an s14 or s13 Silvia front.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #21217
VTEC_lol
Leaky Injector

This is for the carbon canister vacuum right?

Am I able to use this for my boost gauge vacuum source?
The one on the right is for my BOV, is it better to tap on that or put it where the image points?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #21218
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
The one on the right is for my BOV, is it better to tap on that or put it where the image points?
If that's an S13 SR then yes, that's for the carbon canister.

You can't use it for the BOV because it only has a signal when the throttle is open (to let fuel vapor in I assume). Put a vacuum gauge on there and see for yourself.

So you would be better of tee-ing into one of the upper vacuum nipples. That's what I did. You could also use a vacuum manifold inline with the hose going to the brake booster.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #21219
deletedalien

deletedalien is an unknown quantity at this point
i searched, didn't find anything so.....

quick question....

Anyone with an S13 chassis and a VQ35de swap,

is it possible to mode the steering rack forward????
i DON'T want to use offset rack spacers...

Thanx
deletedalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #21220
Aureus Mente
Banned from the Marketplace

Aureus Mente is an unknown quantity at this point
I have done some searching but come up with nothing in my current area (south west). If anyone could give me the current going price of a clean s14 shell with title
Aureus Mente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #21221
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Bad speed sensor or speedometer?

Was driving the car (s13) and it suddenly shot up to 95mph and stayed there. When I would decelerate the needle would begin to go down the wrong side (100+mph side). When I would then accelerate from a stop it would shoot back up to 95 and stay there.

***ODOMETER STILL WORKS FINE****

Bad speed sensor or speedometer?
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #21222
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I've had a couple of speedos fail on me so my usual suspect is the speedo.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #21223
idea

idea is an unknown quantity at this point
Are these rare? If so how much $$ would they go for, if I were to sell them? I found some s14 Silvia ones on eBay for about $150-$200. But I just can’t seem to find pricing on these.
I’m going to assume these were either OEM or an accessory floor mat you could buy from the Nissan dealership back in 1991, because they came with my 91 Silvia that was imported to the US not too long ago.

I took them out of my car just in-case these actually were rare, I’d like to keep them in good condition instead of having my grubby little feet on them.

idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:56 AM   #21224
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I've had a couple of speedos fail on me so my usual suspect is the speedo.
So far from google I’m reading it could be one of 3 things:

1. Bad Speedo
2. Bad speed sensor
3. Bad/dirty grounds

I’m gonna clean my grounds first and then if that doesn’t work test my speed sensor. Thanks man!
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:19 AM   #21225
VTEC_lol
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
If that's an S13 SR then yes, that's for the carbon canister.

You can't use it for the BOV because it only has a signal when the throttle is open (to let fuel vapor in I assume). Put a vacuum gauge on there and see for yourself.

So you would be better of tee-ing into one of the upper vacuum nipples. That's what I did. You could also use a vacuum manifold inline with the hose going to the brake booster.
It is an S14a SR, I tried to hook up the gauge in the line pointed by the arrow, but it shows no vacuum.
I also tried to tee the bov vacuum (next to the arrow) and my idle showed only -7psi so that can't be good either.
I only tested it though to see if it shows vacuum, should it be ok to tee off the bov?
E: what are these for? I assume the one on the left is for oem recirc valve and one on right is for carbon canister? Can I use one for the boost gauge vacuum? And the other for BOV?

Last edited by VTEC_lol; 07-31-2017 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: resized image
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #21226
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

I'll try to keep these two posts straight: that one that is capped off is like that from the factory, leave it capped. The one to the right does go to the carbon canister, but since it is on the outside of the throttle body, it won't see vacuum (only boost pressure). It's a good port to feed your wastegate from if you don't have a feed closer to the source.

Quote:
It is an S14a SR, I tried to hook up the gauge in the line pointed by the arrow, but it shows no vacuum.
I also tried to tee the bov vacuum (next to the arrow) and my idle showed only -7psi so that can't be good either.
I only tested it though to see if it shows vacuum, should it be ok to tee off the bov?
E: what are these for? I assume the one on the left is for oem recirc valve and one on right is for carbon canister? Can I use one for the boost gauge vacuum? And the other for BOV?
These two ports do see both vacuum and boost. In the stock setup, the port on the left feeds both the BOV and the stock boost sensor. The port on the right goes to the carbon canister.

If you're not using the carbon canister, the feed one to your BOV, and the other to your boost sensor/gauge.

My setup started with stock intercooler and carbon canister. I've upgraded the intercooler since then, but still have the carbon canister. So my vacuum lines are:
1. Small feed #1 on throttle body -> canister w/ T feeding wastegate (following Greddy install instructions)
2. Small feed #2 on throttle body -> capped off
3. Larger feed #1 from manifold -> BOV w/ T feeding boost gauge
4. Larger feed #2 from manifold -> carbon canister vacuum
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #21227
VTEC_lol
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
I'll try to keep these two posts straight: that one that is capped off is like that from the factory, leave it capped. The one to the right does go to the carbon canister, but since it is on the outside of the throttle body, it won't see vacuum (only boost pressure). It's a good port to feed your wastegate from if you don't have a feed closer to the source.

These two ports do see both vacuum and boost. In the stock setup, the port on the left feeds both the BOV and the stock boost sensor. The port on the right goes to the carbon canister.

If you're not using the carbon canister, the feed one to your BOV, and the other to your boost sensor/gauge.

My setup started with stock intercooler and carbon canister. I've upgraded the intercooler since then, but still have the carbon canister. So my vacuum lines are:
1. Small feed #1 on throttle body -> canister w/ T feeding wastegate (following Greddy install instructions)
2. Small feed #2 on throttle body -> capped off
3. Larger feed #1 from manifold -> BOV w/ T feeding boost gauge
4. Larger feed #2 from manifold -> carbon canister vacuum
Okay thanks a lot that was very helpful! The lines are like that since I havent touched them myself yet, so the BOV is installed incorrectly I assume, no wonder I hear compressor surge (if its even related)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #21228
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Okay thanks a lot that was very helpful! The lines are like that since I havent touched them myself yet, so the BOV is installed incorrectly I assume, no wonder I hear compressor surge (if its even related)
Yeah, the BOV works on the transition from boost to vacuum so it may not be opening correctly if there's never any vacuum.

Since photobucket is broke, attached is the stock vacuum line diagram. I've added my notes for boost sensor and feeding wastegate from the throttle body vs a nipple on the stock intercooler piping. This is exactly how my car is configured at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: png S14S15-vacuum-lines-FMIC.png (125.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #21229
Bail$

Bail$ is an unknown quantity at this point
Got the runs

So what's the best way to take out spray paint runs?
Bail$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #21230
VTEC_lol
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail$ View Post
So what's the best way to take out spray paint runs?
Wetsanding with a block from 1000-2500 grit depending on how bad it is and compounding is what I would do
Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #21231
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
Question, Can bad bushing make the car lower in front and rear ?

Also can a bad front lower ball joint make the car lower in the front?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 AM   #21232
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mau5trap View Post

Also can a bad front lower ball joint make the car lower in the front?
Depends on the bushing, but usually not. Sloppy handling and/or noises are the common symptoms. Same with ball joints.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #21233
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mau5trap View Post
Maybe if the LCA was tighten with out the suspension being at ride height. That would ruin the lca bushing... but the handling would be noticible poop.

[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #21234
mau5trap
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
mau5trap is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mau5trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Depends on the bushing, but usually not. Sloppy handling and/or noises are the common symptoms. Same with ball joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
Maybe if the LCA was tighten with out the suspension being at ride height. That would ruin the lca bushing... but the handling would be noticible poop.

Thanks guys.

My car currently sits unleveled and it's bugging me out.

Last edited by mau5trap; 08-01-2017 at 05:02 PM..
mau5trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #21235
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Roscoe. is on a distinguished road
I'm at a wits end here, and any help would be appreciated. I've got a 95 OBD1 Zenki that's running shit. When started, it'll idle at 800-900, then drop to 600. Tapping throttle will pop idle back up and it'll stay at 800-900. Adding throttle, it will bog 200-300 rpm, then slowly raise. Car has noticeably less power driving, backfires like crazy, and is very stuttery. So far I've cleaned the MAF, changed Air and Fuel filters, changed spark plugs, changed fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, checked TPS, and replaced the knock sensor (the only code I've thrown was knock sensor and mine was cracked). I've gotten nowhere, and I don't know what else to check.
Roscoe. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #21236
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe. View Post
I'm at a wits end here, and any help would be appreciated. I've got a 95 OBD1 Zenki that's running shit. When started, it'll idle at 800-900, then drop to 600. Tapping throttle will pop idle back up and it'll stay at 800-900. Adding throttle, it will bog 200-300 rpm, then slowly raise. Car has noticeably less power driving, backfires like crazy, and is very stuttery. So far I've cleaned the MAF, changed Air and Fuel filters, changed spark plugs, changed fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, checked TPS, and replaced the knock sensor (the only code I've thrown was knock sensor and mine was cracked). I've gotten nowhere, and I don't know what else to check.
i would replace the ecu coolant temp sensor and check for vacuum leaks.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #21237
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornS14 View Post
i would replace the ecu coolant temp sensor and check for vacuum leaks.
i had the gauge coolant temp sensor give out last week so I replaced both. no vacuum leaks as far as i can tell. did have a port on the TB open to vacuum, but I have no line running to it. i capped it off and it made no difference.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #21238
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
check your MAF wiring and CLEAN THE MAF!!!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #21239
Grady

Grady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant future
Anyone know what this is worth? It's the panel under a s13 coupe's taillights in carbon fiber. I haven't seen any others around.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #21240
Roscoe.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
check your MAF wiring and CLEAN THE MAF!!!
Done both. Cleaned the MAF twice, and no issue at wiring.