Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #61
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
R32's are ugly as hell anyway
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #62
Aurimas
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Aurimas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
R32 is gonna be 25 on August 21, 2014. So the '89 R32s will be legal.

Should've saved my money instead of buying that S13...
Aurimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #63
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLove View Post
grow up? fanboy? I will give you the benefit that a lot of kids think skyline and automatically want one blah blah blah. Have you driven one? I drove a 91 gts-t in NZ and fell in love. the body handles far better than most cars i've owned is300 350z 04wrx. the list goes on.

what I don't appreciate is that you didn't make one logical or intelligent comment. You have simply stated what others in here have already said.

for the price we're paying? please break down the price for me. You seem to be quite the expert and do you work for the US govt? Do you know what they are going to do if you applied for one with the 25 year exemption? You speak as if you're Gods gift to this forum.

contribute or leave. we don't care for negative nancy.
A buddy of mine owns a r32 GTR vspec. I've driven it, hell I've even worked on it, touched it all over. Yeah, they're cool. Yeah, they sound like sex. The bottom line is that it's simply unrealistic. It's just a unicorn to chase. In theory, it is possible in most states. In reality most people are going to hit a brick wall. If you're posting a thread on a car forum to attempt to gather information you're going to hit a brick wall. You need to be more resourceful and determined than that. Nobody is going to hand you the information you desire on a silver platter. You've gotta go out and do the research YOURSELF.

As far as cost goes, first you've gotta buy the car. Then you've gotta pay for shipping. Then you've gotta pay customs fees, maybe in two countries. If you have an import company import it for you you've gotta pay them too. NONE of that is cheap... You're talking about a $20k-$30k car minimum, plus whatever time you have to spend screwing around with the paperwork personally.

This is a fanboy discussion because of the GTR JDM fanboy appeal. Every JDM Nissan fanboy wants a GTR. NONE of them are capable of making it happen. That's the same thing I'm seeing in this thread. A bunch of fanboys talking about how sweet it would be to have a super JDM R32. Nobody has a clue what they're talking about. Nobody has any understanding or appreciation of the logistics of it all. Hell there are even morons talking about importing GTS-T's, which is dumb as all hell. Have fun with your thread, I'm out...

racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #64
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I can see your point. I do however want an 89 gtst 4 door. Probably not on the fanboy list
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #65
carsunltd32

carsunltd32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys about a year ago I started Nostalgia Imports and I started importing the 25 year old cars such as the AE86's and Soarers and have imported 4 so far (I am located in New York btw). We are looking forward to the release of the R32. I can tell you that a R32 will NOT be $30,000 including everything. It would be much cheaper than that.

If you want some more info email me info@nostalgiaimports or check us out on Facebook. Website will be done soon

Thanks!
carsunltd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #66
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
R32 production began May of 1989. R32 GTR production began August of 1989. So August 2014 will be the starting month of R32 GTR's being allowed legally in the states.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #67
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Dont think Skylines will even hit California even when its past 25 years.

Law states car has to be 1976 and older... Such bullcrap

I still have my eye set on a Hakosuka
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #68
bc.
Zilvia Addict

bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
we'll finally be able to swap ka into silvias!
Funniest thing I have read all day, you win the internet.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #69
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwiegz View Post
Your late to the party,

Sincerely, Canada
Quote:
fixed. you can only capitalize countries that the world takes seriously.

but you have to deal with......canada.

Sincerely,

Can hear the waves and smell salt water from my backyard.

Hahahahahaha
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #70
slammedcoupe
Leaky Injector

slammedcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
hahaha, talking about importing R32's.

CANADA is getting S15's and R34s this year.....

there is also an R34 GTS-t in BC already legally.

i can smell the butt-hurt and lube tears already.
slammedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #71
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I think its funny that canada is bragging. Well I guess they never get the chance to really brag much about anything.

Anyways, its not hard to get one now. It's not as expensive as you think. Majority of this hype is fanboy yes. Importing anything other than a GTR model would be completely dumb. The only one worth importing in my eyes is the nismo edition. Then let it sit in the garage 100% original.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #72
SoCalDrifter
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
SoCalDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
didnt really care to read all the bitching everyones doing back and forth but since the 25 year law is coming up and everyone seems to be wanting to import a r32 from japan i dont see why you dont just bring a canadian one seems 100xs easier?...... unless i missed something that says your not aloud to do that somewhere
SoCalDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #73
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDrifter View Post
didnt really care to read all the bitching everyones doing back and forth but since the 25 year law is coming up and everyone seems to be wanting to import a r32 from japan i dont see why you dont just bring a canadian one seems 100xs easier?...... unless i missed something that says your not aloud to do that somewhere
It does sound easier especially the shipping but I prefer to get a Skyline from its homeland, theres more clean/untouched ones there.

I think its the model people are trying to bring in.. Kinda like a Lancer vs Evo. Your going to cheap out 10k to get a lancer/GTS vs getting the real deal EVO/GTR.

Anyways, GTR R32 is alot more limited. I thought there was only 600 produced, which made it already legal to import because it registers as a historic vehicle.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #74
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Didn't even know about this....and I just bought a s13. Anyways It's still going to be expensive. It may not cost 20-30 grand but It probably will cost 10-20 grand. Too much for me.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #75
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Miguelone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
I'm a pretty big fan of the R32's myself, but this is stupid. You're NOT getting a legal R32, PERIOD. First off, Motorex and the like fucked it up. The US government is not stupid and they don't want those cars here.
This really jus sounds like conspiracy theory nutjob nonsense. Sure Motorex fucked up and as such the avenue for legal Skyline importation was closed but do you really, honestly think the government care so much about 1 model of car that they'll ban it from legal importation under a completely different scheme?

Quote:
grow up? fanboy? I will give you the benefit that a lot of kids think skyline and automatically want one blah blah blah. Have you driven one? I drove a 91 gts-t in NZ and fell in love. the body handles far better than most cars i've owned is300 350z 04wrx. the list goes on.

what I don't appreciate is that you didn't make one logical or intelligent comment. You have simply stated what others in here have already said.

for the price we're paying? please break down the price for me. You seem to be quite the expert and do you work for the US govt? Do you know what they are going to do if you applied for one with the 25 year exemption? You speak as if you're Gods gift to this forum.

contribute or leave. we don't care for negative nancy.
32's really aren't the be all and end all, they're old. Most of them are tired & compared to 33's & 34's they just feel floppy and unsophisticated.

Break down of costs though...

NISSAN SKYLINE GT-R | 1990 | RED | 133,000*km | details.- Japanese used cars.Goo-net Exchange

That's the cheapest 32R on Goo, these are all dealer cars which are generally more expensive than cars you'd generally buy through a broker from auction. That price is freight on board which means it's only $8,340 USD to have the car deregistered in Japan & chucked on a boat. Once it gets to the US I'm not sure what the process is but I'm imagining depending on state you would need to meet different criteria for registration.

Here in Aus you're looking at $2200AUD For SEVS(Special Enthusiast vehicle scheme, we used to have a 15 year rule & low volume scheme for newer cars but that has since turned into the SEVS scheme and the 15 year rule capped and turned into the pre 1989 rule) compliance for a 32GTR. I'd imagine any figure you'd be looking at in that regard in the US would be far less. That complete car may end up costing what maybe 15K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
It does sound easier especially the shipping but I prefer to get a Skyline from its homeland, theres more clean/untouched ones there.

I think its the model people are trying to bring in.. Kinda like a Lancer vs Evo. Your going to cheap out 10k to get a lancer/GTS vs getting the real deal EVO/GTR.

Anyways, GTR R32 is alot more limited. I thought there was only 600 produced, which made it already legal to import because it registers as a historic vehicle.
HAHAHAHAHA What? Only 600? There was 43,934 R32 GTR's built, more than the total of 33 & 34 GTR's combined. Shit even the HR31 GTS-R(Built for Group A homologation) was built in larger numbers than that which you seem to have plucked from your arse.
There's not shitloads of stock unmolested GTR's floating around Japan either. and those that are around you will be paying quite a premium for. It's been like that since they got to around 20 years old and they're only going to get more expensive as the Japanese are quite fanatical about their classics.

Last edited by Miguelone; 06-25-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Miguelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #76
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
^^^Kicker too is the US importers have been buying all the 89-91 R32 GTRs since about 2-3 yrs ago in preparation for US importation. A bunch are bought up and out of the market already chilling in warehouses. The few that are left are marked due to lack of supply. Used to be able to find stock $6k GTRs that are in decent condition. Now, they're all sitting atleast $10k and usually have shit wrong with them (rust).

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #77
Artie
Leaky Injector

Artie is an unknown quantity at this point
theres only one place that I know they can import cars like the hakosuka and more you just need deep pockets. and I happen to live like across the street from it but my pockets aint that deep. its called JDM Legends
Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #78
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I guess this is the only time Canadians get to pop champagne huh? (It would have been even better our government left it at 10 years, and not change it to 15 but whatever).

Anyways, it's been mentioned before, but if you guys think you'll be scooping up sweet GTR's on the cheap, then you've gone another thing coming.

I know of quite a few importers who are buying up stock and housing them over in Japan till they are road legal.

What's left is going to be in rough shape or costly (even before you have to ship it). I wouldn't personally wouldn't touch anything less then a grade 4 car at an auction house (inside and out) with FULL paper work history of the car.

After going through the process myself (importing a car), there's more costs associated then you'd think. Fees on top of fees, on top of....

...You guessed it...FEES. And I don't want to hear about how you know a guy who shipped a car super cheaply because it was either in pieces or its plain BS.

Oh and finally the process to find one is a lot harder, and longer then you'd originally think. It took me a few months of searching (being sent cars that fit my criteria daily), and losing out on quite a few auctions, before I was able to snap up the car I was looking for.

If I were an American, I'd start looking now, and house it overseas till it's legal. A easier option would be to take a trip to Canada and see what's up and ship it back down.

You guys in CA are screwed regardless because of emissions.

And I won't even get into operating costs of owning a Skyline (and the RB26 engine)...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #79
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
The exporting community here in Japan is very excited about the 25 year rule. Like it was mentioned, many of them are hording early production BNR32 GT-Rs in anticipation of giant profits. We're a bit more pragmatic. We have no doubt that they are going to be popular purchases, but I question the logic of expecting someone in the US to pay $20,000+ for a $8,000 GT-R.

In terms of legality/registration I don't think the pessimism is called for. The 25 year rule has been applied to many, many cars over the years. It isn't something new. Old Land Rovers/Range Rovers, Alfas, Peugeots, etc.. have been imported legally and registered without a hitch based on the 25 year rule. We have sent a handful of late 1970s Land Cruisers to the US over the years without issue. It's important to make the distinction that a car imported under the rule is federally legal.

Obviously, the GT-R has a bit of a reputation considering the history of gray market importing, parts cars, kit car registration, etc.. However, gray market importing is not unique to JDM vehicles. Certain Land Rover/Ranger models have a reputation due to frequent gray market importation. That hasn't had a detrimental effect on the legal importation of them once they hit the 25 year mark.

The original driving factor that spurred us to start GTR-Garage was to export Skylines to the US and then be a reliable source for parts. We decided to start selling parts immediately to build a reputation as a trusted exporter. We've done our research and we aren't expecting any hitches with 2014 rolls around. However, we are not going to discount the possibility. A few months ago we picked up a very nice, early production BNR32 with the intention of exporting it to the US in 2014 and registering it as a historic/classic vehicle before we even consider offering others up for sale.

Another factor to take into consideration is the cost of shipping. Container shipping rates have dropped significantly over the years. Someone with some entrepreneurial spirit could certainly take advantage of that and subsidize their GT-R purchase by selling container space or bringing in parts to re-sell to make some of their money back. We were recently quoted $1,600 to ship a 20 foot container from Moji to Oakland. Five years ago that would have easily been over $3,000.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #80
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
If I want a Skyline, get it from Canada. What i see happening is that all these people who are gonna pick up a GTR will find out real quick how finicky a 25 yr old RBs are. After a couple issues and $$$ piling on, they'll give up and want to get out of it. Thats when the prices will come down.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #81
coreyh
Leaky Injector

coreyh is an unknown quantity at this point
do what im doing. import a 90-93 for cheap, leave it in your garage and either build it or maintain it, then when it becomes legal, register it. in California you can import any car and list it as a track car/ohv and avoid the bs paperwork, then store it here. its not gonna be super amazingly cheaper but it'll be easier to find one. Also sidebar, the skyline is going to be expensive regardless, its like trying to find a cheap old corvette. they may go down in price but most are still out of reach.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #82
coreyh
Leaky Injector

also for those not very interested in just the skyline, ive found many silvias for under 5,000 dollars in good shape. and one auto ca two-tone model for 1,800 but lost the listing. and old rbs are a bitch to work on and maintain, but with the recent drift-craze sr's have a strong following in the states.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #83
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

It was my understanding that this would not work. After speaking to the CPB/NHTSA they made it quite clear that the importation documentation must show that the vehicle was imported no sooner than the month it meets the requirements for the 25 year rule. From what I understand that documentation is going to be required to prove federal legality when attempting to title the vehicle and obtain insurance as a "classic" or "historic" vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyh View Post
do what im doing. import a 90-93 for cheap, leave it in your garage and either build it or maintain it, then when it becomes legal, register it. in California you can import any car and list it as a track car/ohv and avoid the bs paperwork, then store it here. its not gonna be super amazingly cheaper but it'll be easier to find one. Also sidebar, the skyline is going to be expensive regardless, its like trying to find a cheap old corvette. they may go down in price but most are still out of reach.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #84
coreyh
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
It was my understanding that this would not work. After speaking to the CPB/NHTSA they made it quite clear that the importation documentation must show that the vehicle was imported no sooner than the month it meets the requirements for the 25 year rule. From what I understand that documentation is going to be required to prove federal legality when attempting to title the vehicle and obtain insurance as a "classic" or "historic" vehicle.
you can bring in any car before the 25 year mark it just will not be recognized as federally legal, but states like florida or Washington will sometimes let it pass. but once a car is past 25 years old its considered a classic and is exempt from the bar and nhtsa regs. but that is only after it passes the 25 year mark. it needs to be the exact date.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #85
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

That is not what I was told in my conversations with CBP/NHTSA. They were very insistent that the 25 year rule would only apply to vehicles physically imported after after they are 25 years old. The year/month of manufacture had to 25 years to the month of importation. I asked them exactly what you are suggesting. Hypothetically, if we were to import a GT-R before it is 25 years old and store it until it hits the 25 year mark and then apply for a title and registration would it be federally legal? Their response was "absolutely not".

I'm not saying that it isn't true in your case and that you can't get it done. However, we are doing it as a business and will be selling these cars so we want to abide by exactly what we are told by the Federal government.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #86
coreyh
Leaky Injector

that may be the case and I either read wrong or mis understood. either way by the time I get the money to import/buy one, every year of the s13 will be legal.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #87
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Interestingly enough a 1988 S13 Silvia with an SR20DET conversion went for way more than it was worth. As soon as I saw the selling price I figured it had to be going to the US.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #88
coreyh
Leaky Injector

also it may be different under the private sector or if it were a car with less of a reputation. but again its all a pipe dream for me right now.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #89
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Yup, there is no grand father clause. You have to import it when its legal. If its already here and the 25 yr rule kick in, doesnt apply to it. Sure you can probably register it and get it state legal but it wont be federally legal. You're not that far better off than all state legal grey market cars in the US right now. Constantly watching your back when ICE decides to come knocking at your door like what happened to a few GTR owners a few years back.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #90
coreyh
Leaky Injector

yea ive seen a few modded silvias go for costs you could buy a nice used car for here, but for the most part its not difficult at all to find a good one at the same price you'd find a beat 240 for here.

and thanks fliprayzin, I misunderstood the technicalities of the law.