Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BlackZenkiS14
SR Crank pulley options? OEM, ATI, etc...

Apparently my crank pulley is done, it's got a groove in it that chews up a front main seal about every 3000 miles now, it's time to replace it.

I am considering a brand new OEM Nissan one, at about 200 bucks and also considering an ATI balancer at 450 bucks. My car is about 300whp, with no plans to make more than 365wp, and all I care about it dead solid simplicity and absolute reliability. This is a total street car that gets tracked every month pretty hard.

Anyone using an ATI? What did you notice? Good bad? I am less interested in the ATI because of price, and not running a factory belt size. But if someone has enough info to make up for that, I'm all ears.

Anyone have any info on why to get an OEM instead of an ATI?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Drift_FX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Drift_FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ATI is the best, you wont notice a performance increase from it, but its dampening can save your engine over time....... if not ATI then go OEM, stay away from any of those "underdrive pulleys" they will deystroy your motor....
Drift_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Why not just buy a used one for like 20 or 30 bucks?
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Just find another good known used pulley or a sweet deal new one.. ATI is nice piece but if you have no plans making some crazy amount of HP why bother unless of course that $$ is just burning a hole in your pocket. GL!

SoCal KA24DET/KA24ET Owners
<< Join the FB Group >>
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandevilhorns View Post
Because whatever he does, he makes sure it's done it right; and 200-400 bucks isn't going to break him... Best option in this case is a new [not used] pulley.

Kyle, New OEM pulley will suit you just fine. ATI one will be cool too; but I am not sure the ATI will make a difference that warrants the extra 250 bucks. However, if you do get the ATI, I expect a full performance report
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I've always wondered how does ATI or anybody else make a crankshaft pulley for any engine without knowing the damping characteristics of the engine? such as resonant frequencies that the rotating assembly is prone to stick or cause problems with. The factory crank pulley undoubtedly has this engineering behind it, no doubt it absorbs most strongly at the frequency might otherwise reduce the bearing lift. But ATI? I just dont know. I would guess they attempt to dampen all frequencies, but I have not read any documentation about the respect. That said, once you alter the engine internals you also screw with the resonant frequency that is likely to reduce bearing life. So altering internals and using an OEM crankshaft pulley seems like a bad idea also.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
That's why you have the rotating assembly balanced when changing engine components... I think the ati damper is fluid filled too. That should have a pretty significant effect on its rotational weight consistency. I also believer that since the SR20 came with a fully counterweighted crankshaft the margin of error the crank pulley is used to correct is very small.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
Because whatever he does, he makes sure it's done it right; and 200-400 bucks isn't going to break him... Best option in this case is a new [not used] pulley.
If money isn't an issue then by all means ignore my comment, ATI is the winner. This is Zilvia so I wasn't prepared for that solution.
ryandriftingfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

BlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond reputeBlackZenkiS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandevilhorns View Post
Because I buy right buy once. Not that I'm a baller or anything, but I like nice things, especially things that will allow my engine to keep running through the abuse I put it through.

All the things you have mentioned so far are the things that I have already considered, and the reason why I have to even ask the question.

I'm leaning towards OEM thus far.

Thanks for the support Mike!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
That's why you have the rotating assembly balanced when changing engine components... I think the ati damper is fluid filled too. That should have a pretty significant effect on its rotational weight consistency. I also believer that since the SR20 came with a fully counterweighted crankshaft the margin of error the crank pulley is used to correct is very small.
the crank pulley should not have anything to do with balancing the rotating assembly at all. This is not an external balance engine, like some old V8's were. The damper is supposed to dampen engine vibrations- specifically those that are resonant to certain rpms that the rotating assembly would be prone to causing excessive wear and tear on main bearings and such. Like I said I do not know much about how this is done, but I do know it is an issue for all engines.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
ATI is obviously best, but I can't say that I (or anyone) has had issues with the Unorthodox pullies.

I know there are some cons against them, but I always ask for proof of engines that met their demise via an undampened pulley...and haven't seen one yet.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
They make sleeves for cranks and harmonic dampener. Check your Engine shops near you.
And yes keep factory dampener. At some power level you should upgrade but I don't have the answer to that.
Every time piston fires it creates torque which twists the crankshaft. Once you start changing direction from BTC up, it creates vibrations. The vibrations wear down bearings faster.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
ATI is obviously best, but I can't say that I (or anyone) has had issues with the Unorthodox pullies.

I know there are some cons against them, but I always ask for proof of engines that met their demise via an undampened pulley...and haven't seen one yet.
Cody, I feel the damage is really caused over a long timeframe. Often people who have had bearing failure do not readily attribute the cause to their balancer. More likely they blame "bouncing off the limiter" without ever knowing that some % of their bearing life was ate up by a faulty balancer. How would you ever really know? on any engine?

Its one of those things where, you dont get to learn a lesson, keep making the same mistake. Because there is no tell-tale signs of balancer "abuse".
I suggest we contact ATi and inquiry, how do they manufacture a "one size fits all" balancer? In their explanation, may rest the answer.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
In my mind, for a faulty balancer to be to blame, you'd see wear across all bearings. Usually when people smoke an engine, you see 1-3 bearings out, not all of them.

I know it's the wrong answer from an engineering perspective, but I've had them on multiple vehicles across many miles with no issues even after selling them. Same can be said with many other FWD guys.

With that said, can it attibute to some where? Sure....Over a lifetime? Sure....but how many high mileage performance based engines still run for a lfietime? Very few. My car has over 30k on my engine, I didn't have it balanced, and it's got thousands of track miles which could easily translate into more 'real milesage' than it has...no worries.

So I'll maintain, ATI is best, UR will work without issue, and stock will work just fine too assuming the ring isn't all cracked to shit

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, I'm not really considering the UR at all, the idea of an undampened crank pulley scares the crap out of me.

I'm just trying to weigh the benefits, and decide if its worth it to spend an extra almost 300 bucks on a ATI
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Yea, I'm not really considering the UR at all, the idea of an undampened crank pulley scares the crap out of me.

I'm just trying to weigh the benefits, and decide if its worth it to spend an extra almost 300 bucks on a ATI
As much as I would like to see you get one, I honestly don't think the bang would be worth the buck, dude. Even tho you are only a semi-baller - we are very much similar in the "quality" dept. I firmly believe that you will not be disappointed with OEM. Take the extra money and stock up on tires and meth (injection system, not amphetamine for those who don't know him lol).

P.S. Third season out, still no ride (hint hint)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
BlackZenkiS14
Nissanaholic!

Yea, I'm leaning that way. I'm still waiting for someone to post up and tell me that their ati pulley made their engine totally bullet proof, attracted young beautiful blonde women, and made diamonds rain from the sky when they hit 8k rpms lol.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZenkiS14 View Post
Yea, I'm leaning that way. I'm still waiting for someone to post up and tell me that their ati pulley made their engine totally bullet proof, attracted young beautiful blonde women, and made diamonds rain from the sky when they hit 8k rpms lol.
diamonds only fell when i hit 6200, sorry