Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Grizzly Miles

Trader Rating: (0)
Grizzly Miles is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sohc auto to 5 swap. Wiring

recently bought CHEAP. 1989 s13 auto and sohc (ka24e) engine. I plan to do a 5 speed on it. Parts and labor Im not concerned, should be easy. my auto is TRASHED. barely driveable between not shifting and bogging the motor.

I know I need to swap out the lower aka transmission harness, no big. but I cant seem to locate a sohc 5 speed harness. Wiring Specialty sells for the DE motor only.
Is their a difference in the lower harness between ka24E and DE?
Would a DE work on my Sohc motor?

Long term I want an sr20 so at this point its just F it. Save and wait until I do the full swap and run this auto into the ground.

Thanks, Miles
also I have a ton of Q's. If anyone feel like answering some. I love the search button and will con't to look around.
1) Would an auto from a s14 bolt/wire directly in? Found a great deal on one w/wiring and torque converter.
I would use my driveshaft because the s14 has abs. I do not.
Grizzly Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Grizzly Miles

I assume the manual trans between sohc and dohc is the same. tho I have not picked one out yet. Its likely to come from an s14. Figured it and all parts plus a new Wiring specialty transmission harness for a ka24de would work. buuuut idk.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
You do NOT need to swap out the lower wiring harness.

The 5-speed lower harness will NOT plug into an auto trans car.

All you need to do is wire up the reverse lights using the auto trans harness. You need a wiring diagram so you can find a power wire and the reverse light signal wire. run a 2-wire harness down to the reverse light switch, farthest towards the front of the transmission. Wire it up and you're done. You also need to jump the neutral safety wires. There are PLENTY of write-ups on doing the 5-speed swap, just search for one.

Just for info, yes the SOHC and DOHC lower harnesses are different. The SOHC lower harness has the wiring for the power steering pressure switch and for CA cars the EGR temp sensor. The DOHC harness does not have that wiring.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Grizzly Miles

Well not what I wanted to rear. but ok. My alter isn't wired correctly so I wanted to replace the whole lower harness when I did 5 speed swap.
Thanks for the answer.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Miles View Post
Well not what I wanted to rear. but ok. My alter isn't wired correctly so I wanted to replace the whole lower harness when I did 5 speed swap.
Thanks for the answer.
What exactly is wrong with your alternator wiring?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
Grizzly Miles

It looks like to was hacked into. Idk if a swap was done once on this car or if someone was just messing with it. It has solid motor mounts too. WHY?! emissions missing lines. had no air filter. The rubber tube connecting the long plastic air tube to the t/b is apparently ripped and wrapped in painters tape..wtf was some kid thinking with this. but hey, it was cheap and a coupe!

as far as the alter. looks like a bunch of wires all loose and the alter wires are spliced/hacked up as well. The main power is connected. The others had come loose under some tape... like not wired in correctly
Idk how to word it all exactly. But when I run our battery tester on the car im not getting my 14 volts or even any alter connection. "check wire" reading.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Grizzly Miles

I think im going to source a new-to-me AUTO trans harness when I do the 5 speed swap. That should replace my alter wiring and clean up the wire mess left by the last owner. I assume the new transmission wont use all the connections as an auto?
my only concern is the speed sensor. direct plug in still?

Im sure once I get in there and do it. Most of my questions will be answered. I just want to have all my eggs in order before breaking it down.

I CAN NOT FIND A HARNESS. I will be watching the market places and ebay closely. As well as much local groups.
I need of 240sx sohc auto harness. WS and frs sell all but mine.

Last edited by Grizzly Miles; 03-02-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Old 03-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
racepar1
Post Whore!

Typical hackjob 240, post a WTB ad for the harness. It shouldn't be too hard or expensive to come across one.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
adamhanna
Leaky Injector

adamhanna is an unknown quantity at this point
you also need to connect the 2 wires for the park sensor together(the car wont start unless it thinks its in park), this can be done at the fusebox in your engine bay or at the bottom of your harness near the trans.
adamhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Grizzly Miles

Its not doing the 5 speed Im concerned with. Ive read LOTS of write ups on it. Basic transmission swap. I just did a nv3550 swap on my Jeep TJ.
Its the wiring I was questioning. Mostly figuring out what would work with my setup since it NEEDS to be replaced. Racepar nailed it telling me I must use an auto sohc harness, that I cant just swap in a 5 speed harness. I was hoping a DE 5 speed harness would have worked cause those are sold new.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
AMERICANN1GHTMARE

AMERICANN1GHTMARE is an unknown quantity at this point
can anyone tell me where i can take my car to get the conversion, im near la/oc county area. thanks
AMERICANN1GHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote