Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #301
.chris.

Trader Rating: (0)
.chris. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinrekka View Post
I'd like to do a SBC swap, i have a 350/300hp and a turbo350 tranny with 75k on them. Any clue on what your going to do for mounts?

I recall there is a mount kit to put a chevy 4.3 v6 into the nissan hardbody. The 4.3 uses the same mounts as the 350 so i think that would be a good start. After all the hardbody truck and 240sx use the same mounts. I dont know if the crossmember would need to be modified or not, but most likely.

I would be more inclined to modify the oil pan.

You'll need a low rise intake mani though.

Mine should be finished in a few weeks. I will post some pics.

Total spent on drivetrain will be about 4500cdn. It should be over 400hp pretty easy.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - Mounts will be stock Chevy Mounts mounted in convenient locations. I will not be the one doing the engine swap, but supposedly it's not terribly difficult to fix these to the frame/crossmember. They're cheap too.

Last edited by .chris.; 07-14-2007 at 01:39 PM..
.chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #302
shinrekka
Zilvia Member

shinrekka is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody hear anything about the 302 swap latly? I got a motor and I got a 240, i just need mounts
shinrekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #303
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is my setup as it currently stands. If you're going to comment about carbs, my setup is equivalent to an LT-series in terms of mounting points and dimensions. Most of the info I post here are applicable to older gen-I 350 and EFI LT1/4. LSx blocks use different mounts. I used carbs for cost and availability of parts.

JEGS 809-10067353K1: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...52506_-1_10763
Borg-Warner T-5 gearbox (used in 3rd and 4th gen F-body)
ATL fuel cell

Fabrication of the subframe is necessary, but the motor sits fine. Driveline angle is correct and it has good clearance between the strut towers. The locations of the accessories have not been finalized yet though.

I have hood clearance issues due to the carbs, but if you're going with an LT block hood clearance should not be an issue.

Notching of the firewall was not necessary, but doing so allows a clutch R&R without lifting the motor.

I'm hoping the car will be finished by the end of the summer. Anybody local is welcome to meet up and check out my setup in person. I'm trying to convince the shop to release a bolt-in kit for gen-I/LT-series and LSx for much less than the cost of the Hinson kit (Hinson didn't even have a kit for my setup).
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #304
stewie8apie

stewie8apie is an unknown quantity at this point
What are people using for mounts other than HSC's? I know that there are alternative solutions which would be much more cost effective.

Also, has anyone tried HSC's master cylinder? Also, their fuel system seems pretty decent. Anyone try that yet?
stewie8apie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #305
victorw210
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
victorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
do these mounts work with the lt1
victorw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #306
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie8apie View Post
What are people using for mounts other than HSC's? I know that there are alternative solutions which would be much more cost effective.
So far they are the only people I've seen who has put together a kit for the LSx into S-chassis. The rest are just custom mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorw210
do these mounts work with the lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Most of the info I post here are applicable to older gen-I 350 and EFI LT1/4. LSx blocks use different mounts
Does this answer your question? I am not sure which mounts you are referring to, but generally anything that will fit an LSx will not fit an LTx.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #307
BAY240
Leaky Injector

BAY240 is an unknown quantity at this point
i ono if this was already asked but can the stock rear end take all this torque?
BAY240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #308
NismoSilvia270R
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NismoSilvia270R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NismoSilvia270R
xatracing makes a nice mount kit. "mikespeed" and "chin" now run them. chin makes them.
problem is, that the oil pan needs a skid plate cause it sits so low, its below the kmember

chins:
http://www.ziptied.com/forum/viewtop...c2cc98ed716215
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564082

mikespeed
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705272

mikespeed runs a blower on his and drifts it. i think the rear can take it.
NismoSilvia270R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #309
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin240 View Post
I have heard number of 32-34mpg. It will definatly get some decent milage though as long as its not WOT. Shoot me some sites or info on the universal stuff you find. HSC has as nice fuel setup so you could get ideas from that and go from there.

Iceman00 I figure after looking around some that the LS1 is going to weigh about 596lbs. so that is the same as the KA??? But when you get the figures I am interested because I was close minded before.
The KA/Trans combo is good for under 500lbs. The LSx/trans combo is around 630lbs. You'll be looking at a good 150lb or so increase. See links earlier in thread.

Last edited by Iceman00; 09-01-2007 at 07:09 PM..
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #310
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
yea i know efi is better but how many of you have carbed 350s or 302s or anyt other small block v8? im not shooting for high numbers. i want just want easy n/a power. i was thinking a carbed lt1 with basic bolt ons (cams, carb, header, ect) id be pretty happy with that setup.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 AM   #311
Lordrandall
Zilvia Member

Lordrandall is making a name for him/her selfLordrandall is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to Lordrandall Send a message via AIM to Lordrandall Send a message via MSN to Lordrandall Send a message via Yahoo to Lordrandall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
The KA/Trans combo is good for under 500lbs. The LSx/trans combo is around 630lbs. You'll be looking at a good 150lb or so increase.
I don't know where you got those numbers, but every other place I look puts the LSx/6-speed combo lighter than the KA/5-speed.

LS lighter than KA
6 heavier than 5

Combo LS/6 lighter than KA/5
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #312
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Iceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymoreIceman00 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordrandall View Post
I don't know where you got those numbers, but every other place I look puts the LSx/6-speed combo lighter than the KA/5-speed.

LS lighter than KA
6 heavier than 5

Combo LS/6 lighter than KA/5
Your sources are wrong.

Quote:
*laughs*

The KA motor and Transmission combo Don't weigh 600lbs, and the LSX motor and tranny don't wiegh Sub 500lbs.

GM list the LS6 motor with a manual Flywheel at around 496lbs, and Corvettes has the transmission mounted SPERATE from the Motor. A T56 trans will weigh in over 130lbs.

Transmission
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2930
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te..._transmission/
Engine:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...06/ls1ls6.html
(notice it says NOTHING about transmission)
My Sources, were are yours?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #313
doc99
Zilvia Member

doc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
The KA/Trans combo is good for under 500lbs. The LSx/trans combo is around 630lbs. You'll be looking at a good 150lb or so increase.
I think those numbers a little inflated but I do agree the LSx/T56 weighs more then a KA/Trans combo. Regardless of that fact, how much weight does a turbo and all it's supporting accessories weigh? I'd say that brings the two motor combos around the same weight. Now lets bring into the fact a turbo KA is probably not as reliable as a stock V8 pushing the same power. With that said, the LSx swap is a damn good route for anyone with the cash.

*EDIT

Found this:

Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #314
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc99 View Post
I think those numbers a little inflated but I do agree the LSx/T56 weighs more then a KA/Trans combo. Regardless of that fact, how much weight does a turbo and all it's supporting accessories weigh? I'd say that brings the two motor combos around the same weight. Now lets bring into the fact a turbo KA is probably not as reliable as a stock V8 pushing the same power. With that said, the LSx swap is a damn good route for anyone with the cash.

*EDIT

Found this:

Clutch is included in those wieghts. Its 40lbs. Check back in this thread a couple pages for confirmation
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #315
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
You can get rid of a lot of the weight a v8 adds to your front by getting lightweight body parts (carbon fibre hood, fiberglass fenders, you know that kind of stuff stuff) relocating your battery, getting rid of some superfluous accessories like AC and PS, and what not. Get creative with it... Im assuming that a v8 240sx would be more of a strip car or soemthing like that than anything because of the engine, so you wouldnt really need that stuff.

But really, alot of the weight added is at the tranny, which is located near the center and bottom of the car, so that shouldnt affect the weight distribution too much.

Id say if you do that kind of stuff, the weight up front actually affecting the weight distribution of your car wouldnt be too bad, which can easily be offset a little by having a full tank of gas lol.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #316
Lordrandall
Zilvia Member

Lordrandall is making a name for him/her selfLordrandall is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via ICQ to Lordrandall Send a message via AIM to Lordrandall Send a message via MSN to Lordrandall Send a message via Yahoo to Lordrandall
Quote:
Your sources are wrong.
Well, this is from Hinson, but I've seen it other places as well:

"The aluminum GM LS1 and LS6 engines are extremely light power plants. With the complete removal of the KA engine and transmission, the project car's final weight is less than the total gross vehicle weight of a stock Nissan 240SX. The LS1 T56 combo is 128 pounds lighter than the KA four cylinder it replaces."

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/faqS14.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #317
Iceman00
Zilvia Member

Its wrong wrong wrong.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #318
doc99
Zilvia Member

doc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of light
I believe Hinson used an automatic transmission (among other things) to come up with the added weight of the KA.

Coming from someone who's collecting parts for the LS1 swap I can honestly say I know the KA is lighter than the LS1.
doc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #319
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WISH ONE
about how much would a shop charge you for this kind of swap.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #320
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISH ONE View Post
about how much would a shop charge you for this kind of swap.
Way too much. Just the custom fabrication, custom mounts, custome driveshaft, wiring, et cetera, et cetera... ITs alot of work.

I'd say at least 3 grand.
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #321
doc99
Zilvia Member

If you're handy with a welder (among other tools), or have friends that are, and do plenty of research it can be done within a budget.

As for having a shop do it. Pretty expensive.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #322
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

WISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfectionWISH ONE is close to perfection
ya i figured... although 3 grand doesnt sound that bad... i can get my hands on a vette ls1 for dirt cheap through some of the old hotrod guys at my work. but the fab is what would kill me. and i dont own a welder but i think i will soon, maybe some welding classes also, to PERFECT the TECHNIQUE hahah.... its handy to have. it would be nice to have a shop do it but im sure it would be somewhere like 20 hours of labor or so if not more.. and at 80 an hour or so for labor it would get pricey not to mention other parts you would need.

THANKS GUYS
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #323
Shadytrixta1
Leaky Injector

Shadytrixta1 is on the path to ruinShadytrixta1 is on the path to ruinShadytrixta1 is on the path to ruin
XAT's swap package starts around 10g's I believe...
Shadytrixta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #324
Leaky Injector

93240 is on the path to ruin93240 is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadytrixta1 View Post
XAT's swap package starts around 10g's I believe...
http://www.xatracing.com/ls1.htm

I was looking at doing it myself but the damn H.O.A. is on my back!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #325
doc99
Zilvia Member

I just priced it up. From my (generous) estimates they're charging about $4000 for labor.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #326
WISH ONE
Post Whore!

lol.... damn...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #327
gigimow
Leaky Injector

gigimow is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISH ONE View Post
i can get my hands on a vette ls1 for dirt cheap through some of the old hotrod guys at my work.
THANKS GUYS
What's the price range when you say it's dirt cheap?
gigimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #328
blknismo180

blknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblknismo180 is making his/her stupidity well-known
sorry to bring this back up...but i want to know has a 95-04 mustang motor been put into a 240 haven't found 1 yet......
i'd like to see if it was done...
i have heard it was wide and might be done...
i'm sure someone has the money to do it...
blknismo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #329
doc99
Zilvia Member

I know of a couple ford 302s put into S13/S14s.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #330
ranger240
Zilvia Addict

ranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the roughranger240 is a jewel in the rough
people on this forum have said the dohc ford 4.6 or whatever is too wide to make it in the engine bay without a signifigant amount of work..
ranger240 is offline   Reply With Quote