Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #20131
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by [240sx] View Post
If the valves are still in, a leak down can still be performed.

Sent from my SM-G930P
I decided 2 just get a gasket kit and headbolts. I want this done and dusted haha thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
AllThingsGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #20132
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsGravy View Post
I decided 2 just get a gasket kit and headbolts. I want this done and dusted haha thanks!

Take the head to a machine shop. The head is most likely warped from over heating and just installing a new gasket alone probably won't solve your problem.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #20133
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by black'N'proud View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is a tune needed on a sr20det with walbro 255 fuel pump and greddy intake manifold? I'm asking because my car is still running very rich I think and has a hard time hitting boost. Also if a tune is needed would a wideband and fuel pressure regulator be useful to install before it gets tuned? I'm still looking for any vacumm leaks and the ecu isn't showing any fault codes but I just thought "well maybe it needs a tune." Thanks in advance for the advice.
-Installing a Greddy manifold and a 255lph fuel pump on an otherwise stock SR doesn't require a tune.

-Installing a wideband gauge is ALWAYS a good idea. You won't be guessing as to whether your car is running well, rich, or lean.

-Your car is probably having a hard time getting into boost because from the sounds of it you have a stock SR with a huge intake plenum and and probably an excessively large FMIC. The more you increase the volume of air that needs to be compressed between the turbo and the combustion chamber, the more boost lag you'll have.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #20134
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I've searched and read but my reading comprehension is 0 and I don't wanna mess up my engine.

Removing the harmonic balancer bolt on the rb20. I have it in 4th gear and handbrake up. Do I undo it going counter clockwise?

Just making sure because I think I read you don't want to do it counter clockwise or you will mess up the engine. I did it slightly and kinda heard stuff move so I was like duck that tried searching but I don't fully understand some of the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #20135
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

AllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her selfAllThingsGravy is making a name for him/her self
Alright so I was removing my head and I pushed the chain and gear off the tensioner but it didn't fall in the lower part of the engine. How do I push the tensioner back or remove tension so I can put the chain back in the spot?

Old 08-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #20136
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
I've searched and read but my reading comprehension is 0 and I don't wanna mess up my engine.

Removing the harmonic balancer bolt on the rb20. I have it in 4th gear and handbrake up. Do I undo it going counter clockwise?

Just making sure because I think I read you don't want to do it counter clockwise or you will mess up the engine. I did it slightly and kinda heard stuff move so I was like duck that tried searching but I don't fully understand some of the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you need to loosen the bolt counter clockwise. I think you're saying that your crank spun counter clock wise too and now you're worried about damage? You'll be fine if that's your concern. It's not too big of a deal.

Quote:
Alright so I was removing my head and I pushed the chain and gear off the tensioner but it didn't fall in the lower part of the engine. How do I push the tensioner back or remove tension so I can put the chain back in the spot?

What motor? If it's an SR, just unbolt the chain tensioner from the outside of the motor.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #20137
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Yes, you need to loosen the bolt counter clockwise. I think you're saying that your crank spun counter clock wise too and now you're worried about damage? You'll be fine if that's your concern. It's not too big of a deal.

What motor? If it's an SR, just unbolt the chain tensioner from the outside of the motor.
Oh I forgot it's a ka24de, the lower tensioner on the left

Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #20138
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Oh I forgot it's a ka24de, the lower tensioner on the left

Oof it's been a while since I've messed with a KA. Is it not possible to reach the tensioner and push it back in? They're just spring loaded and you should be able to compress it by hand. Or try gently prying the chain guide to push the tensioner back in. It's going to suck if you have to remove the front cover to set it back in.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #20139
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
Oof it's been a while since I've messed with a KA. Is it not possible to reach the tensioner and push it back in? They're just spring loaded and you should be able to compress it by hand. Or try gently prying the chain guide to push the tensioner back in. It's going to suck if you have to remove the front cover to set it back in.
Yeah I guess I can try to push it back in. I don't think I will.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #20140
AllThingsGravy
Zilvia Addict

Got it on nvm

Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #20141
drinxbleach

drinxbleach is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having a problem with the sleep eye mod. I cut the brown wire on the button and I turn the headlights on they go up lit, but when I turn the off from the actual headlight switch they go down instead of staying up. The botton only works when I hold it after turning off the lights but when I let go the headlights go down. Has this happened to anyone?
drinxbleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #20142
jared420sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jared420sx is on the path to ruinjared420sx is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinxbleach View Post
I'm having a problem with the sleep eye mod. I cut the brown wire on the button and I turn the headlights on they go up lit, but when I turn the off from the actual headlight switch they go down instead of staying up. The botton only works when I hold it after turning off the lights but when I let go the headlights go down. Has this happened to anyone?
I
1: turn lights on
2:hold button
3: while holding button turn lights off
4: quickly release button and press it again
The lights will go down if you release and press again quickly they will go down more.
5: turn lights on one click and they stay up.
Thats how mine work try it might work for you
jared420sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #20143
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
justinbyrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
sounds like you have a problem with your button, when you turn the headlights on and off the lights should go up and down normally, when you press the button then turn the lights on then off the lights should go up and stay up, when they are stuck up with the lights off you should be able to press the button off and back on real quick and they should drop a little and stop, do that over and over till they are where you want them, seems to me like the button doesn't stay pressed like it should
justinbyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #20144
drinxbleach

drinxbleach is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbyrant View Post
sounds like you have a problem with your button, when you turn the headlights on and off the lights should go up and down normally, when you press the button then turn the lights on then off the lights should go up and stay up, when they are stuck up with the lights off you should be able to press the button off and back on real quick and they should drop a little and stop, do that over and over till they are where you want them, seems to me like the button doesn't stay pressed like it should
So investing in another button will solve my problems?
drinxbleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #20145
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Quote:
So investing in another button will solve my problems?
Not what I said but it could be the problem, and they are pocket parts at junkyards so its worth a shot and a lot easier to replace than testing all 6 or 15 of the damn relays that control the headlights
Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #20146
TheLastLatin

TheLastLatin is an unknown quantity at this point
s14 How tall are you?

I'm 6'3 300lbs, and I have been looking for a 97-98 Kouki to buy, but I'm worried my fat ass won't even fit in it (with or without a sunroof) How tall / big are you? Do you fit ride comfortably 2 hour plus rides?
TheLastLatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #20147
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastLatin View Post
I'm 6'3 300lbs, and I have been looking for a 97-98 Kouki to buy, but I'm worried my fat ass won't even fit in it (with or without a sunroof) How tall / big are you? Do you fit ride comfortably 2 hour plus rides?
Lose some weight😂, and don't sit with the seat upright... and avoid a sunroof.
2 hours isn't difficult, then again I dont have coils.

Sent from my SM-G930P
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #20148
TheLastLatin

How Tall are you?

Quote:
Lose some weight😂, and don't sit with the seat upright... and avoid a sunroof.
2 hours isn't difficult, then again I dont have coils.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #20149
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
How Tall are you?
6 and 3/4. Haha.
But I sit up right+mohawk+sunroof = and my head taps the headliner on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #20150
TheLastLatin

Thanks! Wonder how much a difference non sunroof would make. Only XE models don't have a sunroof right?

Quote:
6 and 3/4. Haha.
But I sit up right+mohawk+sunroof = and I head taps the headliner on occasion.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #20151
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Wonder how much a difference non sunroof would make. Only XE models don't have a sunroof right?
XE?? Are you looking for a 89-94 or 95-98?

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #20152
TheLastLatin

1997 1998, but I don't think I have seen one without a sunroof.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #20153
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
1997 1998, but I don't think I have seen one without a sunroof.
Then you got much to learn man... spend some hours on here(and google) before you start looking to buy.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #20154
TheLastLatin

Thank you!

Quote:
Then you got much to learn man... spend some hours on here(and google) before you start looking to buy.

Sent from my SM-G930P
Old 08-31-2016, 04:40 AM   #20155
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Simply install a set of Corbeau A4 Wide seats in front. Order them with a 1" trim in the base. You'll be fine.
Diet and exercise will prolong your life. Owning a 240 will help since you will be buying car parts more than food or anything else. Water and raman are your friends. Starvation, and Self installing the parts you buy will get you knowledge of the car and have you second guessing aftermarket seats, and probably have you looking on places like Tuner Cult for clothing
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #20156
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
What would cause steam to come out of the water pump region even though there is coolant in the over flow tank:

Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #20157
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
a small leak in the radiator...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #20158
TheLastLatin

Thanks Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Simply install a set of Corbeau A4 Wide seats in front. Order them with a 1" trim in the base. You'll be fine.
Diet and exercise will prolong your life. Owning a 240 will help since you will be buying car parts more than food or anything else. Water and raman are your friends. Starvation, and Self installing the parts you buy will get you knowledge of the car and have you second guessing aftermarket seats, and probably have you looking on places like Tuner Cult for clothing
Old 08-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #20159
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
a small leak in the radiator...
A leaky radiator would cause steam from the water pump region or was this not directed to my question?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #20160
justinbyrant
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
What would cause steam to come out of the water pump region even though there is coolant in the over flow tank
This hurts my brain, water in the overflow has nothing to do with your water pump leaking

in a proper working coolant system any excess coolant from heat expansion would be pushed into the overflow then drawn from the overflow when everything cools down, however that is in a properly working cooling system which is very rare, most cars have little air leaks the prevent drawing coolant back into the system, the cooling system reaches a level that it doesn't ever lose or draw coolant and it stays fine for years at the same level

if you have steam from the water pump its probably a bad pump leaking out the weap hole in the bottom of the pump, which would prevent the system from drawing coolant back into the system from the overflow because its easier to draw air through the leaking water pump than it is to draw coolant past the cap