Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
LegitSeller
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (19)
LegitSeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
SR SR20 with no spark only cranks. Help me please!!

I searched the forums and alot of people have the exact same problem as I do, so i would read their threads and test the advice in them but nothing works for me!

Heres the problem:

I have a 91s13 had a ka in it, I bought a 13 blacktop sr E5 ecu and did the swap myself.

Got it all ready tried cranking it and I hear the fuel pump prep itself when it's "ON" but it just keeps cranking and cranking. I smell fuel coming out of the exhaust manifold and when a sparkplug/coilpack is out fuel puffs out of the head,

So I have fuel.

I thought it was my ecu. Used my friends redtop ecu. No luck
I thought it was my ignitor chip. Used my friends chip and ecu. No luck

I checked for spark by pullin the coil and the plug and cranking but there is none.

So I thought it was my coilpack harness. Got mine off. Got one that was used 2 weeks ago on a running sr, so it works for sure. Checked my grounds tested for power, I have 12 volts in the middle wire. Cranked, but nothing.

Thought I fried a coilpack so I switched 2 of them, tested for spark. Nothing.

I thought it was my crank angle sensor. So I took it out. Messed up my timing real bad. And I guess it wasn't even that. So I opened the head put the chain to TDC aligned the pully to the second notch put the CAS back in with perfect timing. Cranked. Nothing.

The battery has power to push the motor. 12point something volts. I switch it between my second 13 I just got that had a dead battery. So the battery works.

I've searched google, zilvia, Nico, etc. For "sr no spark" "just cranks" and so on for help but I am so stuck now. Anybody have any suggestions? I put the motor in just how I got it. I can't see the problem now and it's frustrating the fck out of me.

Thanks,
LegitSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
try a known good ignitor.

your ecu sends ground pulses to the ignitor, the ignitor amplifies that signal and sends it to the coil packs to fire.

hope that fixes it, that's the last thing there is that you haven't tried replacing so it kinda HAS to be the culprit since you've deduced everything else.

very common for these to go bad.

gl,

Dave
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
LegitSeller
Zilvia Member

I did try one, my friend has a redtop so I used his ecu AND his ignitor chip. You think it's a wiring problem like a wire burned? Can I test Continuity or something where the ignitors at?

Thanks for your reply though. Anyother help would be appreciated
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
so you've swapped ignitors, cam angle sensors, and ecu's , you have verified power and ground to the coil packs....yet the coil packs don't get the signal to spark...

then either you're testing is bad, or your wiring is bad. so yes check continuities of each signal from the ecu to the ignitor then the ignitor to the corresponding coil pack.

Dave
Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z U L8R View Post
so you've swapped ignitors, cam angle sensors, and ecu's , you have verified power and ground to the coil packs....yet the coil packs don't get the signal to spark...

then either you're testing is bad, or your wiring is bad. so yes check continuities of each signal from the ecu to the ignitor then the ignitor to the corresponding coil pack.

Dave
youve pretty much checked everything else....
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
buentellomma
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
buentellomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i would open your wiring harness back up and double check your wiring
buentellomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
LegitSeller
Zilvia Member

My testing has gotta be right, Its not just me doin the tests I got someone else who has an sr testin for me, I have other guys who are mechanics testin with me also.

But yes I will check for continuities asap. A wire could have just decayed or something right?

And I'm still sketched on the crank angle sensor though. I mean how do you know for sure if ones workin or not? Is there a test to check up on it?

Usefull backround information on the motor: yeah I bought the motor that came in an 89 shell. The previous owner had it for a couple years and said one day it just wouldn't start. It would crank and crank but wouldn't start. He thought it was something wrong with his ignition, as in his keyhole.

But yeah my car is so useless right now I'll check some more things with my wiring or I might even buy a whole new wiring harness. Or another cas, or another ignitor chip, or another ecu..... Oh but I did buy some brand new denso sparkplugs this afternoon.

Again thanks for all the input fellas.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

ngk spark plugs, part # 4644 (BKR7E) and gap them to .028 $1.89 a piece

make sure your cam angle sensor is getting power and ground, gound = black wire, power will either be solid white, or black with a white stripe. it should have ignition 12 volts and this wire should have continuity with the black and white stripe that goes to the the maf.

you can take out your cam angle sensor from the head. plug it back in, turn the key ON, then spin the cam angle sensor and you should hear your fuel pump run, your injectors clicking, and you should be getting ground pulses to your coil pack's signal wires (pink) labeled - on the coil packs.

there's only 5 things that could be your problem for a no spark scenario on this car.

1. cam angle sensor
2. ignitor aka PTU (power transisting unit, aka ignition control module)
3. ecu
4. coil packs
5. wiring

that's it.

gl man, hope you find the problem,

Dave
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
s14sliding
Zilvia Member

s14sliding is an unknown quantity at this point
no Spark only cranks as well (super old thread i know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z U L8R View Post
ngk spark plugs, part # 4644 (BKR7E) and gap them to .028 $1.89 a piece

make sure your cam angle sensor is getting power and ground, gound = black wire, power will either be solid white, or black with a white stripe. it should have ignition 12 volts and this wire should have continuity with the black and white stripe that goes to the the maf.

you can take out your cam angle sensor from the head. plug it back in, turn the key ON, then spin the cam angle sensor and you should hear your fuel pump run, your injectors clicking, and you should be getting ground pulses to your coil pack's signal wires (pink) labeled - on the coil packs.

there's only 5 things that could be your problem for a no spark scenario on this car.

1. cam angle sensor
2. ignitor aka PTU (power transisting unit, aka ignition control module)
3. ecu
4. coil packs
5. wiring

that's it.

gl man, hope you find the problem,

Dave

i know im bringing a super old post back figured hit this up rather then make a new thread. but some of the info in this was useful. my question regards my Cam Angle Sensor I took it out and spun it by hand. my fuel pump is sending fuel while i spin the CAS but my Injectors aren`t clicking ( a bit later im going to take out fuel rail to see if they are even spitting fuel) ok well my question is if spinning it by hand and the fuel pump is getting signal can the CAS still be bad? my current problem is the engine cranks but doesnt start im thinking due to no spark or fuel. so im trying to troubleshoot my CAS to see if i need to replace it.
s14sliding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Dat240

Dat240 is an unknown quantity at this point
You ever fix this ?got the same problem
Dat240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
For Fucks sake FL, check the post dates. Dude probably doesn't even have an SR or a 240 for that matter anymore.