Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
S14 Fuel Tank Information

I am doing an overhaul on an S14 fuel tank and was curious if anyone has a proper understanding of what some of these components are and what their function is:

There are some differences between the earlier 95 fuel tanks & components vs the later 96+. In particular, the fuel bulkhead has a 4-wire connection for sending unit whereas the older 95 models have a 3-wire connection.

With that said, it appears that all tanks have a component at the bottom right (shown in my first photo) that is not accessible. Inside the tank you will notice a small 3-wire connector that goes all the way to the bottom corner. FSM does not mention this, but I am guessing its part of the low-fuel indicator. Anyone ever cut apart an old tank to see what this is?

Also above, the second and third photos show the differences in the sending units between 95 and 96, the later models having an additional component on the side of the housing.

One of the major problems we will all be facing is that these components are old and no longer available. The fuel tanks are still available, but the fuel level sending units are now NLA. All of the components are 20+ years old and the plastics are falling apart. I figure I would make this post to help open up some discussion. I would imagine that the wiring & connectors would need to be replaced soon if not now.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
If I remember correctly, there are two fuel warning lamp sensors in the tank. The first one being on the fuel level sender and the second in the bottom right corner.

As for the black component on the 96 year pump, maybe something for the OBDII system? It looks like it's spliced in to the fuel lamp sensor.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
bfellini
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
bfellini is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
96 up added a Fuel Tank Temperature Sensor for OBD2 compliance. The ECU compares fuel temp with IAT and ECT as another indicator something is up with the evap system I believe. That will be your extra wire. I know other mfg's and standalones use fuel temp in the fuel modeling calcs to derive fuel density, but not sure if it's something Nissan implemented with ECCS back then, and judging from the sensor, I doubt it!
bfellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfellini View Post
96 up added a Fuel Tank Temperature Sensor for OBD2 compliance. The ECU compares fuel temp with IAT and ECT as another indicator something is up with the evap system I believe. That will be your extra wire.

^ Bingo!

I wonder what the other silver metal canister is, maybe thats one of the low fuel indicators.

I did some more digging and it appears the other part DEEP inside the fuel tank (and non-serviceable) is called the FUEL LEAD SWITCH shown here:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=404055

Not much info on the web other than the above thread. Anyone?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
bfellini
Zilvia Member

This is awesome... over 20 years later, finding new stuff! Yeah there's practically zero info about it... Judging from the table in the FSM for the 3 states it can be in, looks like it's probably a sanity check for the fuel level, or used in conjunction with the float because of the issues with saddle style fuel tanks?
Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Thats what I am thinking too, I think its a supplementary for the low fuel indicator due to the design of the tank. I want to try to test all of this on the bench before assembling.

Problem is, and this goes for everyone, is that all of these components nowadays are so damn old and rotted. I mean, how often are guys examining the internals of their fuel tank to check all of this? Never. The last tank I took apart had fuel pump wiring with numerous cracks in the insulation and a semi-dissolved rubber insulator:

After restoring both S13 and now S14, you can see just how much cost-cutting NISSAN did with the later model. Lots more plastic. Best thing about the S14 is the subframe, thats about it.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
bfellini
Zilvia Member

How about consolidating some info for drop in fuel pumps, and where to source a proper fuel sock/pre-filter? There's so many new pumps out now, and more are now e85 compatible... although, I have no clue if the tank would hold up to e85?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfellini View Post
I have no clue if the tank would hold up to e85?
I'm curious too. Well, the entire fuel system actually.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to russian
you can use factory tank with e85 100% fine, but your better clean it out first because all that crap and sludge will come off and come in to the fuel lines and clog and we seen that happen.
also check to make sure the fuel hoses in the bay are rated for ethanol.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
ixfxi
Post Whore!

i'd be concerned about the wiring and sending unit. ethanol seems to destroy everything.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for creating this thread. I'm subscribing!
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
That's probably why my low fuel light led doesn't work.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Anyone know what the fuel lines running across the tank are for by chance? I'm thinking to equalize the two sides or something of that sort. Also would like to know why the line from the bottom goes back to the fuel pump bulkhead.
Instagram: @SS.Maxey
2_Liter_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
Anyone know what the fuel lines running across the tank are for by chance? I'm thinking to equalize the two sides or something of that sort. Also would like to know why the line from the bottom goes back to the fuel pump bulkhead.
Those hoses running across the top are ventilation hoses according to Nissan's catalog. The lower hose that leads to the bulkhead is labeled as a fuel hose, it looks like its connected to the fuel pump, look at the diagram and find 17051 below the fuel pump bulkhead.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough2_Liter_Turbo is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, I looked again and the two hoses Y'd into one are definitely for venting. Just trying to figure out exactly how the one that goes down to the bottom corner works. That third line T's into the return line underneath the bulkhead (I'll post pics soon), so I'm wondering if it uses vacuum generated from the return line to pull fuel from the bottom corner to dump it on the side the fuel pump side of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Those hoses running across the top are ventilation hoses according to Nissan's catalog. The lower hose that leads to the bulkhead is labeled as a fuel hose, it looks like its connected to the fuel pump, look at the diagram and find 17051 below the fuel pump bulkhead.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #16
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

The green arrows are the typical fuel pump outlet and return lines. The red is the line from the opposite side lower corner.

I'm trying to figure out how this union works. Is there any sort of check valve integrated or is it just a union? This part of the bulkhead will tell us how exactly it works, ha ha.

Exterior shot of routing just because:
Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #17
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Yeah, I looked again and the two hoses Y'd into one are definitely for venting. Just trying to figure out exactly how the one that goes down to the bottom corner works. That third line T's into the return line underneath the bulkhead (I'll post pics soon), so I'm wondering if it uses vacuum generated from the return line to pull fuel from the bottom corner to dump it on the side the fuel pump side of the tank.
Actually it looks like that line is connected to the return line, maybe it somehow uses the return to pull fuel from the bottom of the tank?

Old 06-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
2_Liter_Turbo
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Actually it looks like that line is connected to the return line, maybe it somehow uses the return to pull fuel from the bottom of the tank?

That's what I was thinking. Just curious how exactly it works. Seems there may be some sort of check valve or something integrated in the union.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #19
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Just curious how exactly it works. Seems there may be some sort of check valve or something integrated in the union.
Looks like it would create a vacuum and suck fuel from that corner of the tank to keep the fuel pump happy. Showing my age here, but that setup looks a lot like the venturi valves used to drain old water beds. You basically hook the valve to the faucet outside, run a suction hose to the water bed, then turn on the water. The water coming out of the faucet will create a vacuum and drain the water out of the bed.

Ninja Edit: Tried to find a picture and found this part is very common in saddle tank design. It's called a siphon jet pump. It uses the pressure already provided by the fuel pump to power the suction jet pump to pull fuel out of the other half of the tank.

Cutaway pic to give an idea:

LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #20
Andy’97

Andy’97 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a sending unit I’m installing but the small cylinder sensor on the outside (it’s a 1995 unit) is broken off. Can anyone confirm if this piece being broken will render the faulty gauge? Just trying to figure out if I must have this piece connected on the outside. Thank you!
Andy’97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #21
Andy’97

Andy’97 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've learned there are two exterior sensors on the '96 and up sending units, the lower is the secondary fuel gauge sensor and the upper is the added fuel temperature sensor for OBD2 compliance.
Andy’97 is offline   Reply With Quote