Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yes, you are correct.

But it still would appear that 2013 is the year the people can start bringing them in.
It looks especially easy if you're importing from Canada.
Good luck finding early examples
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
ST34LthyN1NJ4
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
ST34LthyN1NJ4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwiegz View Post
Your late to the party,

Sincerely, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Bitchy jealousy will get you no where!

Oh, its you're NOT your're

Sincerely, I'm off to my garage to work on my S14 Silvia!
lol
ST34LthyN1NJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #33
Ash

Trader Rating: (0)
Ash has a little shameless behavior in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLove View Post
I reached out to some friends in NZ and they are telling me the exporting costs shouldnt be too much because NZ doesnt want a bunch of old junky cars around. If we buy them at a decent price, its almost considered a favor lol.
This is not true at all.

And you're all nuts. The cost of bringing a S13 in from Japan exceeds the value of the car. As for skylines, well help yourself.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
R32s, sure, have fun tracking one down that hasn't been beat to death.

S13s. . . WHY?! SR20 swap and you have the exactly same car that you would be importing. At some point I guess we all think driving around like a mail man is cool, but unless it's in a car that was never put on sale in the U.S. I fail to see the point.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
This is not true at all.

And you're all nuts. The cost of bringing a S13 in from Japan exceeds the value of the car. As for skylines, well help yourself.
Glad to see someone else here with some logic.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #36
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
R32s, sure, have fun tracking one down that hasn't been beat to death.

S13s. . . WHY?! SR20 swap and you have the exactly same car that you would be importing. At some point I guess we all think driving around like a mail man is cool, but unless it's in a car that was never put on sale in the U.S. I fail to see the point.
Not really.... 1989 was CA18DET + RHD
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
Glad to see someone else here with some logic.
Same reason the country is not overflowing with imported RX7s, CRXs and AE86s.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #38
NismoKnights13
Zilvia Member

NismoKnights13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I get my sex from Japan.
NismoKnights13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #39
BoostinIX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
BoostinIX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to BoostinIX Send a message via AIM to BoostinIX Send a message via MSN to BoostinIX Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinIX
Oh, to have a nice stash of cash to hold onto a few in Japan for about a year... lol. Then resell for profiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiits.

Sucky part is that you'll have to weed out which ones were brought here 100% legit, and which are grey market trying to pass for legit and make some money/get rid of their crush magnet.

Not to mention the random parts that will break and have nearly no knowledge to fix it or parts available. Or sheet metal for all the accidents. /sadface.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #40
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
We will finally be able to import a skyline legally and people are still negative LOL

Even if I found one beaten to death with a grenaded motor I would still import it for the right price. As long as it's rust free, complete and not train-wrecked it would be a good candidate for a build/restoration..you know what we have been doing with old ass 240z's/240sx/Z's for the past what 15 years? If it really adamant about finding a clean one wait a few years and get a newer one like a '93 or something

Just the fact that you can get a skyline over here without the feds screaming is unfathomable.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
spooled240
Post Whore!

spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
just to add a few more sources. Here's the article I'm sure most of you are familiar with on the "eBay Guides - How to import a skyline"

eBay Guides - How to Legally Import Register Nissan Skyline

"Skylines imported into the US for use on public roads must either be over 25 years old or they must conform to FMVSS standards."

We all know the whole Motorex issue with trying to get the r32 and r34 to pass the FMVSS by faking their crash tests with r33's deeming them not eligible for import.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #42
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post

More reason not to import one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoKnights13 View Post
I get my sex from Japan.
This guy wins all the internets. ALL OF IT.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #43
ghoti
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
ghoti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
All this Skyline talk just reminded me of this guy
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
TougeLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
This is not true at all.

the first time i drove RHD i fell in love. I am left handed and it just feels natural to do it.

The cost of importing a 240 is a lot less than the cost of converting RHD, driving around with an illegal engine, etc.

You may not know this, but THIS IS A HOBBY for some people. I have my DD wrx and I want something on the side.it doesnt matter If its an imported silvia or a glass dildo with wheels and a moped engine.

This thread is for people interested in conversation of legal importing, NOT discussing financial logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
I have a feeling after the CA18 is imported and registered, an sr20 wouldnt be too hard to swap in and keep legal. Just got to keep emissions.
TougeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
MrSanchez925
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
MrSanchez925 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
why import from japan?
when you can just get one from canada?
MrSanchez925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #46
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

im all for getting them anywhere. Japan has a lot of them which decreases their overall value. I have some friends who are keeping in eye out in new zealand and I have also been checking small car lot websites from canada.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #47
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

found this after 30 min of searching.

1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-T

not bad for 5800 obo
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
I have a feeling after the CA18 is imported and registered, an sr20 wouldnt be too hard to swap in and keep legal. Just got to keep emissions.
I dont think that's true.

According to the rule, the car must retain the factory drivetrain. If the engine has been or will be swapped, it must meet EPA standards.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #49
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Sorry, I didn't explain that well. From my past experiences and current knowledge, swapping in an sr20 would still be illegal, but it would be easier to fool someone with an sr20 over the ca18 than it would be for an sr20 over the ka.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #50
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
t
The cost of importing a 240 is a lot less than the cost of converting RHD, driving around with an illegal engine, etc.
The engine is still illegal in California. CARB supersedes the EPA/DOT and their cut off is 1972.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #51
Lvnismo
Leaky Injector

Lvnismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Aha Cant believe Canada beat us.... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwiegz View Post
Your late to the party,

Sincerely, Canada
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
I'm a pretty big fan of the R32's myself, but this is stupid. You're NOT getting a legal R32, PERIOD. First off, Motorex and the like fucked it up. The US government is not stupid and they don't want those cars here. Second, for the price you're going to pay you could go buy a Porsche, Corvette, etc... What's the point? Put that money down on an R35 and have no worries. This is such a fanboy discussion that it's sickening. There are PLENTY of cars here to choose from. Grow up and drop it already!!!

racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #53
TougeLove
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
I'm a pretty big fan of the R32's myself, but this is stupid. You're NOT getting a legal R32, PERIOD. First off, Motorex and the like fucked it up. The US government is not stupid and they don't want those cars here. Second, for the price you're going to pay you could go buy a Porsche, Corvette, etc... What's the point? Put that money down on an R35 and have no worries. This is such a fanboy discussion that it's sickening. There are PLENTY of cars here to choose from. Grow up and drop it already!!!

grow up? fanboy? I will give you the benefit that a lot of kids think skyline and automatically want one blah blah blah. Have you driven one? I drove a 91 gts-t in NZ and fell in love. the body handles far better than most cars i've owned is300 350z 04wrx. the list goes on.

what I don't appreciate is that you didn't make one logical or intelligent comment. You have simply stated what others in here have already said.

for the price we're paying? please break down the price for me. You seem to be quite the expert and do you work for the US govt? Do you know what they are going to do if you applied for one with the 25 year exemption? You speak as if you're Gods gift to this forum.

contribute or leave. we don't care for negative nancy.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #54
spooled240
Post Whore!

How is wanting to import a r32 legally being a fanboy?

From what I understand motorex fucked it up trying to get the r32 to pass FMVSS. It would have been a different story all together if the r32 was 25 years old then. That's not to say I would be surprised if the government did some last minute legislation to restrict r32's from the 25 year old import rule though..

...and I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I don't think US legal r32's are gonna be as expensive as a Porsche/Corvette or hell even be enough of a down payment for some of us to afford an 80k dollar car Aside from that, a lot of us want the r32 because we want a r32.

And for people that haven't imported a car that's over 25 years old with an engine that was never offered in the states, you go to the referee for smog. (at least that's how they used to do it)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
blah blah smog this smog that laws this laws that.

1: plates off random car
2: cop attempts to pull over
3: drive like racecar
4: go to jail with smile
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #56
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Oh God please!!!! I want an R32 soo bad!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #57
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DialedLife View Post
blah blah smog this smog that laws this laws that.

1: plates off random car
2: cop attempts to pull over
3: drive like racecar
4: go to jail with smile
Lolz this made my day!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #58
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
r32's are great, i love mine. slides so much better and feels more planted than my s13 did.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
Lunghz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Lunghz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i know what ima be saving for lol, R32 = fapfapfapfapfap
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
we'll finally be able to swap ka into silvias!
feito is offline   Reply With Quote