Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Lolliez

Trader Rating: (0)
Lolliez is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Ca18det Timing...

Hi Guys!

So pretty much for the last two months ive been struggling with this timing issue!
Ive googled it and although it seems alot of people have had the same problem im yet to read the correct answer! PLEASE if anyone has been in this situation or read the correct fix for it before please let me know!

SO heres what it does.
For it to run with the right timing setting (15) I have to turn the CAS hard clockwise.
This allows me to drive the car but it still runs pretty poo
At first i thought i had just been ahving bad luck with CAS sensors as i would put them on and a day later the car would break down and timing would completly change... this is when they have to be adjusted as much as possible to get the car to run.

I have tryed everything people have suggested in NZ and nothing has worked so have had to broaden my search!

Has anyone had this problem?!

PLEASE help me with some info or a link to the answer!!!!!!

Lauretta
Lolliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
ilovecoupes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to beholdilovecoupes is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How are you setting your timing?

Are you using a timing light? Or just guessing by the way the car performs?

Don't guess; go out and buy a timing light. Warm the car up(this may be your problem). Connect the timing light to the first coilpack, and aim the light at the overdrive pulley, and adjust the CAS accordingly.

That was just a basic procedure, but I suggest going to the factory service manual for a more detailed procedure.

Also NICO club has very good sub-forum dedicated to the CA18 if you have anymore questions.
here is the link: CA18DE / CA18DET Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

Also make sure the nose of your CAS isn't broken.

-Cheers Mate
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Lolliez

Thanks for the reply! i have just come across nico club and am registering on there also.

Yes timing has been checked with a light when warmed up. I have adjusted the CAS and swapped it three times. Yesterday i pulled them apart and all three i have used are fine, I put the CAS back on and the car ran like a dream ( with CAS dead center) for a day and then just like with the other CAS after a day car runs like a bag and it needs to be fully advanced in order to be in any condition to drive.

I have done alot of research now and it seems alot of people who have done engine conversions have this problem but none of them ever write up when they find the answer!
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Lolliez

Pulled apart all three CAS i have and they are all in perfect order.put one back on and the car ran mint for a day then ti ming flew way off again.

But this time when CAS was removed and put back on it didnt drive mint for a day ... i put it back on ( dead center) timing was then at 15 and within a minute it had moved itself WAAAAYYYYY off.... so im guesing i can rule out bad CAS's
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
matt b

matt b is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Lolliez
Did you find a solution for this? I am having some ignition timing issues too.
Thanks Matt
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
I read your firs post and the first thing I thought was "bad cas"

Anytime it's puched right but still is WAY off to scale then it's the CAS iteslf. I have seen this popping up A LOT more in the past 2 years. Must be shitty motors coming over or just the fact they are soo old now and a lot of oil and water pools in the CAS over time causing them to fail on their container ride over from japan