Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
street_sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 S14 Sunroof Trim On Going Problems

SO I have been doing a lot of research in my spare time over the years and finally am in a position to make the move to possibly make this happen. Many people have talked to companies that "may" make the ever elusive trim piece that Nissan "never" made for separate sale from the sunroof bc it comes as a whole unit. I have confirmed with a local company here in Austin TX that they are willing to take on the challenge of remaking this god like piece of freaking fiberglass trim.

After R&D is complete I will report back and continue to update this thread. The rubber weather stripping is still available for sale through Nissan (thank goodness). So, once the mold is made (that's the expensive part) and we test it out here locally for a few weeks (stress test, weather test and so on) I will bring back hopefully positive results and have a drop in solution.

I plan on selling a kit (sunroof trim, weatherstripping, adhesive and install instructions) along with a YouTube how to. I know many people have tried their hand at this but I am going to give it my best along with a semi well know drifter in PRO2. If all goes well, we will finally have the solution to the on going problem.
street_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Feel free to chime in on what you think a reasonable price would be for this all-in-one kit should cost. Any other ideas are welcomed.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Kis4Kouki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Kis4Kouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would be interested in buying a kit if you made one considering the on in my kouki is on its last leg.
Kis4Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

That's the goal is to create a drop in solution. Now there will be a little work required on the buyers part to follow the instructions we outline and proper cleaning of the glass prior to install. We are currently trying to find a sunroof with the trim still intact so I can send it off to the molding company to have the prototypes made for initial testing.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #5
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kis4Kouki View Post
I would be interested in buying a kit if you made one considering the on in my kouki is on its last leg.
Side note I'm from Greensboro originally!! If we can get these kits tested and proven that they work I'll get you one out to High Point and you can spread the word for us out here in Texas
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #6
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Easier solution: Sell the car. Buy a hardtop.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #7
Kis4Kouki
Leaky Injector

Yeah dude that would be great. Definitely have some friends that would be interested too.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
You'll be my hero. Hope this works out.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Easier solution: Sell the car. Buy a hardtop.
I expected comments like yours. But yes, that is an option.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #10
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Awesome man keep us posted. I am in S. Austin so I wouldnt be too far to pick one of these up. And as far as buying a clean, unmolested, NON-SUNROOF Kouki these day.....its like asking to find a gem. Is it possible..sure. Is it likely...good luck.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Awesome man keep us posted. I am in S. Austin so I wouldnt be too far to pick one of these up. And as far as buying a clean, unmolested, NON-SUNROOF Kouki these day.....its like asking to find a gem. Is it possible..sure. Is it likely...good luck.
AWESOME!! Yeah I am trying to hunt down a "donor" sunroof with the trim intact. I have a few friends that are inspecting their 240s and getting back with me. The fiberglass company said as long as they have all the pieces they can bond it back together for a complete trim piece.

So, that is why I want to hand them a sunroof with the trim intact so they can extract it themselves so that way if something does happen, they can fix it right then and there.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Ill just say this that I am going to spend about $800-1000 for the prototype to be created. If it fails, well then I just pissed away all that money but at least we gave it a try and can confidently say that at least it has been attempted. If all goes well, I will have kits ready by the end of the year.

Price point is going to be tough in the beginning. Supply/demand, materials, production time, shipping cost will all be factored when it comes time. I know that companies makes carbon delete panels for $250-300. That is the number i believe it will end up being but you will be getting so much more than just a panel that you glue to your roof.

I am very confident that we may get this ball rolling. Again, any and all suggestions are welcome!
Old 09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
AWD260R
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
AWD260R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good luck, last year I started to make a silicone mold for the bottom half and didn't continue because it has a natural bow to the trim piece and mine was already pieced together with 2 trims parts and it wouldn't make my standards so I scrapped my project and found a decent trim piece out in DFW. GL
AWD260R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD260R View Post
Good luck, last year I started to make a silicone mold for the bottom half and didn't continue because it has a natural bow to the trim piece and mine was already pieced together with 2 trims parts and it wouldn't make my standards so I scrapped my project and found a decent trim piece out in DFW. GL
Gotcha!! Thanks for the good wishes. The molding company said once they have their hands on it, they will decide what type of material to make it out of. Fiberglass seems to be what they are leaning on due to is form-ability, strength and durability.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Ok people I had a chance to head out to a buddies house and get his sunroof off his parts car. It is 100% trim and glass intact. When I get a free chance in the next few weeks I will be taking it over to the molding company. Stay tuned guys.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #16
Kis4Kouki
Leaky Injector

Sweet dude keep us posted on everything. Would love to get rid of my faded and separating fiberglass. Also that price point is good considering it will be a quality piece.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
I'm interested...
Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #18
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kis4Kouki View Post
Sweet dude keep us posted on everything. Would love to get rid of my faded and separating fiberglass. Also that price point is good considering it will be a quality piece.
Thanks Kis. Knowing the avg 240 owner would rather $250-300 on a performance or body part I want it to be reasonable for a leaky sunroof/damaged sunroof repair. I very hopefully on this venture. And if it fails, well at least we tried.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #19
corby_baby
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
corby_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
something tells me this is actually happening
corby_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corby_baby View Post
something tells me this is actually happening
I hope so. Now I just have to find the time to get the sunroof over to the molding company.

I also was considering making a mold of an entire sunroof vs just the trim. Still an option. Just have to figure out how I would install the mounting studs ( like on the factory sunroof ) onto a piece of fiberglass but I'm sure they could help me figure that out
Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
PrimeDirective
Zilvia Member

PrimeDirective is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone needs this. I would pay $150 for this if it comes with everything needed. If someone doesn't come up with a replacement trim soon, I think a lot of people will start looking for a sunroof delete plate as a plan B.
PrimeDirective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
X9C
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
X9C is making a name for him/her selfX9C is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeDirective View Post
Everyone needs this. I would pay $150 for this if it comes with everything needed. If someone doesn't come up with a replacement trim soon, I think a lot of people will start looking for a sunroof delete plate as a plan B.
Lol $150, I'd pay $500...
X9C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #23
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Yeah $150 is a bit low. Not to disrespect anybody and say that only the rich people can afford this but it's going to cost some money to get this done. If you think about your options it's either purchase a sunroof for $1000 that's no longer sold, pay for used one that's eventually going to deteriorate like your current one, or buy a sunroof delete For $250 and up.

I'm not trying to break the bank for everyone but it will be made of high quality materials I promise. I'm not cutting corners. I want this to be something that you take it out of the box ago holy shit this is great !!!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #24
pulsar

pulsar is an unknown quantity at this point
If I may recommend, the best way to get this to be a worthwhile venture, it would be best to contact enjuku and 240sxmotoring.com and other reputable 240 sales company's, show them photo's of the manufactured pieces and see if they want to list it on their site as an available product. They just buy 10 from you to have in their stock.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #25
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
If I may recommend, the best way to get this to be a worthwhile venture, it would be best to contact enjuku and 240sxmotoring.com and other reputable 240 sales company's, show them photo's of the manufactured pieces and see if they want to list it on their site as an available product. They just buy 10 from you to have in their stock.
Great minds think alike. I'm already ahead of you on this. My partner in this is sponsored by Enjuku and once we have a product to bring to the table, if they want to sell it, I am having contracts drawn up for distribution rights at a set price for them to buy X number of units for one year. And then go back and renegotiate depending on sales
Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Here is the donor glass

Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #27
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
If this works out, can you please see if these guys want to reproduce Zenki clear lense headlight covers too? lol
Old 09-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #28
kyle1a2
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kyle1a2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I like where this is headed. Put me on the list when this goes through!!
kyle1a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:36 PM   #29
Finite Performance
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Finite Performance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I hope this works!
Finite Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #30
street_sleeper
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the support guys!!! I am tryin my hardest to make this a reality. Just keep any ideas in your head coming. Clear lenses is something we are also considering. Subscribe to this thread to stay up to date. I hope we can prove to anyone that has tried and quit or gave up.

Last edited by street_sleeper; 09-08-2015 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Typo