Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #1
Manie

Trader Rating: (0)
Manie can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's wrong with my 240

Ok so i bought a 92 convertibale 240sx stock ka its auto its been sitting for over 4 years before i bought it and it didnt start so i replaced the ignition switch and starter and bought a new battery and it started. So today i changed the oil and it started pouring out more then 5 quarts and it smelled like gas so i put new oil and new filter and changed spark plugs and it started right up but its leaking something from the bottom of the motor and smelled like gas but it looked like old oil. And the motor shook really bad at low idle. Is the motor bad? Does anyone knows whats wrong?
Manie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Test compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
While running, unplug each spark plug wire and see if the sound of the engine doesn't change on any. Repeat test on injectors. If no sound change, that cylinder is not firing. This can identify a bad coil, distributor / cap / rotor, or stuck injector.

Gas in oil could be from a stuck injector or leaking injector o-ring which allows the fuel rail to drain out in the cylinder, then it seeps past the rings into the bottom of the engine. Gas dilutes oil and leads to a spun bearing so stay on top of it and change the oil if it smells like gas.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Manie

Ok thanks ill give that a try
Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Yeah.

Get an injector o-ring kit.

Drain gas, filter, etc, if possible. Maybe some techron.

The shaking is a flooded cylinder. Don't run it that way.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Manie

Where can i get the injector o rings? And would that stop the leak coming from under the engine
Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #7
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manie View Post
Where can i get the injector o rings? And would that stop the leak coming from under the engine
Auto parts store, of course.

The leak may or may not totally go away, but it's probably pouring that badly because of the oil being thinned by gas contamination.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Manie

Ok ill try doing that
Old 11-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

KA

Quote:
Ok ill try doing that
To be clear, you'll need to change the oil again, as well as fix the issue causing the contamination.

KA's like thick oil, and in fact spec up to 20w-50, if you read all the stickers and such. It's okay to use any diesel oil you find on sale (it's often like 12 dollars a gallon), if you need something cheap for fast changes until you get rolling - it's also got excellent wear protection and detergents, will help clean up your motor.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Manie

Should i just replace the injector
Old 11-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Should i just replace the injector
If it continues to be a problem, or if you have extra money kicking around.

Injector is like 40-80 bucks parts store list price, and there's 4. o-ring kit is like 8.99 or something. I'd pull the rail and see what's leaking - but from your description, it's o-rings (maybe a botched injector job in the past caused it to be parked? Somebody didn't lubricate it and tore the lower ring).
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
Manie

Whay size are stock injectors?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Whay size are stock injectors?
Whatever size they hand you when you walk into the parts store and tell them your car and the part you want.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #14
Manie

I was gonna order it online
Old 11-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
+1 for injector O-rings. My KA was doing the same thing when I bought it. I got O-rings for 20 bucks on Deatschwerks website. You might be able to find them cheaper.
apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Esserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the rough
Injector could also be stuck open, especially if it was sitting for a while. Crap and sediment form in the fuel that can clog it so it cant close.
Esserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
Manie

Is 275cc injectors good for a stock ka
Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Yes it is, are you changing out your injectors? I would start with the O-rings first unless you somehow figured out that the actual injector is bad.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Sailor
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Sailor is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have a Multi-meter- a good way to check if any one of your injectors is to unplug the connector to each injector, stick two lead wires into the injector so that you can probe it, and test for resistance across it (ohms). It should read somewhere around 13 ohms if the injectors are indeed working. Another great way to test them has already been listed- testing for misfire in either the spark plugs (spark plug/dizzy/wire problem), and testing for a bad injector via unplugging while running. However these tests wont tell you that you injectors are clogged or damaged, and should be also visually inspected

Diagram to measure ohms just in case
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wi90kx32c10/maxresdefault.jpg
Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
apex128
Zilvia Member

You can also put a screwdriver on the sidefeed injector cap thingy and feel / hear it firing. When I had this problem, I took the injectors out and touched them to a battery to see if they squirted any residual fuel out.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
apex128
Zilvia Member

Update? Did you get it fixed?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
Manie

I replaced the o ring and replaced fuel pump car starts but now the motor shacks at low idle. When rev up to 1500 shake goes away but gas nd what looks like oil comes out from the exhaust.what could be causing this?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #23
brandon519

brandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura aboutbrandon519 has a spectacular aura about
Honestly I would do what the first guy said and test compression. It's possible that the rings are just bad, or the valve stem seals are bad. For the rough idle I'd say check the ignition timing. Also do what others have said and make sure that injectors are firing properly. But if your car is burning that much oil its most likely either rings or valve stem seals.
brandon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #24
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I replaced the o ring and replaced fuel pump car starts but now the motor shacks at low idle. When rev up to 1500 shake goes away but gas nd what looks like oil comes out from the exhaust.what could be causing this?
But it doesn't shake the same way?

Your exhaust is going to be full of gas and oil and crud, it'll smoke badly a few miles - if the contaminated oil has been changed and it's running reasonably smoothly, take it for a little drive, and romp on it a bit, see what comes out the back.

Having some shake could come from a lot of things, unplug injectors to verify that each one makes a (similar) change in the idle.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #25
IvoryWhiteS13

IvoryWhiteS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this same issue with my s13 when i first bought it. Ended up being two stuck injectors. Whats happening is the injectors are double firing fuel and the excess fuel gets pushed out of the exhaust, and also goes into the oil pan. Im assuming you have white smoke coming from the exhaust? Best way to check is grab a multimeter and check the resistance of each injector. Factory spec should be about 11ohms if they are good.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #26
Manie

Ya it's white smoke coming from exhaust. Ill unplug injectors and see if there any change in idle and ill test the injectors today. Thanks for the advice ill let yall know what happens
Old 12-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #27
IvoryWhiteS13

Quote:
Ya it's white smoke coming from exhaust. Ill unplug injectors and see if there any change in idle and ill test the injectors today. Thanks for the advice ill let yall know what happens
Ya keep me posted. you can get new ones at autozone for like $70 an injector
Old 12-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #28
Manie

I tested the injectors with a multimeter they all read 11ohms
Old 12-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #29
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Drive it around the block...
Old 12-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #30
IvoryWhiteS13

Quote:
I tested the injectors with a multimeter they all read 11ohms
Ok, have you pulled the spark plugs yet to check if there is excess fuel in the cylinders? Its also possible you may have leaky injector o rings.