Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #1
NOOBdrifter

Trader Rating: (0)
NOOBdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Business Idea - Need Your Advice

Hello everyone, my name is Matthew.
Please excuse my username, I was young and naive when I created it.
I used to be on this site a lot when I was younger, reading all sorts of build threads and planning to build my own drift car one day. That drift car is still in the planning stage at the moment.

Anyways, the reason why I'm posting is because I have an idea for a business.
A lot of subscription box companies are popping up nowadays - Loot Crate, BirchBox, Blue Apron, Plated, and countless others in almost every category or theme you can imagine.
However, I've noticed that one area has NOT been filled, and that's the car world.
Well, there are actually a few - one subscription service delivers car detailing goods to customers on a monthly basis, another claims to send you James Bond themed car goods. I don't think the 007 box has any customers yet.

So, I really like the concept that Loot Crate and Nerd Block follow. They deliver nerdy/video game based items in a box that has a monthly theme. The box includes anything from a t-shirt with a picture/logo, keychains, posters, stickers, miscellaneous apparel - socks or shades, and other goods.

What if something like this existed for the car community and all the gear heads?
My idea for it would be to have a box that included the following items:
-TShirts
-Stickers
-Magazines
-Key Chains
-Hats
-Necklaces
-Sun Glasses
-Pictures
-Model Cars
-Racing Gloves
-Other Things?

In car culture there are a lot of fans that strictly stick with one group or scene, right? So when potential customers would enter the site they would have an option for a "JDM Box", a "Muscle Box", a "Euro Box", or a "Everything Box" - giving reference to the three main car scenes, and if someone is a fan of all three they could choose the fourth option.
There are a lot of ways this could be done, but I feel like giving people options would be the best way of approaching the fact that many people have different tastes and views on cars.

So if you've made it this far, my questions to you are:

Would you buy into something like this?
Would the items listed above be of satisfaction for a car enthusiast?
What other items would you want to see in a subscription service like this?

Thanks for reading, and I would appreciate any feedback.
NOOBdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
4 years ago you were young. So youre 20 now? Still young bro.

I would not buy. Who wants a box of cheap shit? Maybe that is just my view. Or maybe I'm not understanding. The car world is way to broad to limit it to a box of random items. Tshirts, glasses, necklaces? Style is subjective. I have never wore a necklace....im a dude lol. Glasses, don't need. Tshirts? Whats on it? A buick symbol? pass. Magazines? Its america, most of them are junk. I just see a lot of things that most people pile up in a closet. I guess its a cool idea, but I just don't see it taking off.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
NOOBdrifter

NOOBdrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
4 years ago you were young. So youre 20 now? Still young bro.

I would not buy. Who wants a box of cheap shit? Maybe that is just my view. Or maybe I'm not understanding. The car world is way to broad to limit it to a box of random items. Tshirts, glasses, necklaces? Style is subjective. I have never wore a necklace....im a dude lol. Glasses, don't need. Tshirts? Whats on it? A buick symbol? pass. Magazines? Its america, most of them are junk. I just see a lot of things that most people pile up in a closet. I guess its a cool idea, but I just don't see it taking off.
I understand your point on it becoming a box full of cheap junk. If I were to engage in this idea I would want to find goods that were of the best possible quality and cheap enough to sustain a profit. But that's a lot easier said than done.

You're definitely right about the car world being broad. I'm trying to think of a niche that would target a certain group, but be big enough so that it could grow and have a big enough customer base.

When it comes to T-Shirts I would definitely not include one with a Buick symbol lol, I would never give my customers something like that. Throwing shit in the box would be a better deal.

But hey I appreciate the reply man!
If you're willing to respond some more, I have two more questions that deal with this idea:

Which car scene do you think is bigger? The JDM scene or the Muscle Car scene?
Knowing your tastes in cars and your interests, what would YOU personally want to see in a service like this?
NOOBdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think it has potential to a younger crowd (14-21). I could see a box full of "JDM" old person/noob driver badges, stickers, tees, import magazines and a younger person might be into that.

I also think you would have better luck on the Domestic crowd since it would be easier to access things to ship and there are a lot of stores you could go into for potential sponsorship/wholesale if they like your idea.

The problem with the "JDM" crowd is there are the jdm purists who only like real Japanese brands like Cusco, Work wheels, ARC, etc.. and then there is the jdm fanboys who like bright colored no named parts covered in "JDM" decals made in Taiwan.

At the same time though, If you offer high quality brands key chains, license plate frames, lanyards etc that anyone can afford, that might be a big seller since most people cant afford $3000 Work wheels but want the cool brand name.

I think your idea has potential but its going to take research. If you're in it to make money, think about the masses.

Also be careful where you post your business ideas. Someone could easily steal it from you.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Me personally? I don't want any of those things you listed even if they were being handed out for free. Its all junk to me.

However, people will buy anything if you sell them.

No one will ever tell you your business idea is a good idea, so don't take any criticism personally. No businesses were good ideas until they became successful.

If you're seriuos about entreprenuership, try going to some local Meet Ups, and look into seminars. There are so many out there. Many will run a couple thousand, but there are plenty that are less than $1000 that are set up by quality people.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Me personally? I don't want any of those things you listed even if they were being handed out for free. Its all junk to me.

However, people will buy anything if you sell them.
That is my position on this.

I personally can't stand having random stuff sitting around in my house. I never take the little freebies when I go to events because of this. It ends up in the garbage.

The idea has potential, but understand your target audience will be people within your own age group.

My younger brother also has the same idea, but for comic books and such.

19 year olds on 9gag, vine, etc.

The items you mentioned easily ad up price wise. It definitely sounds like it would be in the $50+ range.

Think about your profit margin, time invested, etc.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
TOPSECRETIS

TOPSECRETIS is an unknown quantity at this point
I see zero money in this idea. Keeping thinking though, the world needs thinkers.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
chato de shamrock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
chato de shamrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Patent Pending. Sorry NOOBdrifter, time to walk.

HeHeHe. Serious though, I wouldn't buy on the idea for the same reason some of these folks already mentioned, junk. Doesn't mean the idea is bad. You might want to remove some of these items such as key chains, necklaces, bottle openers, etc. But you could substitute other useful items in there. The items offered might even vary depending on the car culture you are targeting. If you take this idea and run with it I'd suggest start with the larger car crowds that have been around longest, the hot rod scene, american muscle scene, lowrider, Harley Davidson, etc. Who knows, this idea might be a bust, but a start to another idea that can succeed.
chato de shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #9
J3123MY
BANNED

Trader Rating: (2)
J3123MY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do it with Passion, or don't do it at all.
J3123MY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #10
shilyowme

shilyowme is an unknown quantity at this point
Who knows, this idea might be a bust, but a start to another idea that can succeed.
shilyowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I feel like i'm on Shark Tank right now.

Decent idea, not sure if it'll work with the "JDM" community. Too cheap.

Euro could work but they're the pickiest motherfuckers. Gonna need to spend good money on design/graphics for your storefront and packaging or it'll go to shit really quick. Euro clientele are the pickiest of all and the most self entitled so i'd steer away from that demographic.

Domestic crowd is the biggest, that's probably your best bet?

Overall, your idea seems like something that COULD work, but I don't know if it would be worth the effort. Most companies that do things of this nature already have a huge customer base and leftover inventory they already covered their costs on. Also, a lot of the stuff you mention isn't expensive, but cheap shit adds up. And there's only so much you can charge for a box of mystery items, especially not being directly affiliated with anything big.

There's 318 million people in the US. Find a bigger demographic that's easier to please and spends their money more easily.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #12
janetfdoss

janetfdoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3123MY View Post
Do it with Passion, or don't do it at all.
Yeah you are right. The things done with passion always shall succeeded.
janetfdoss is offline   Reply With Quote