Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-09-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
S13squirrel

Trader Rating: (0)
S13squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S13squirrel
spastic problem starting my KA... electrical?

Okay so I have searched other threads, and I can't find any problems quite like mine. My car has this quirk where it will occasionally just not start. Not the battery or anything to do with power supply; the car simply will not turn over. The weird thing is, if I leave the car alone for a while (like 24 hours), it will start up just fine. The car has done this twice now in the span of 2 weeks of daily driving -- it's scary because it could potentially leave me stranded any time I park the car. I had it taken into a shop after the first time, they checked the plugs, wires, and other stuff that could affect this problem, but they found nothing. The main reason they had diagnostic problems is because when they finally got a chance to work on it, it had suddenly started up (when I dropped the car off, it wasn't starting). So I know everything to do with the actual operation of the engine is fine, it's just getting it started that is wigging out. I am thinking it's electrical, just because I have had another problem on this car with supposed "worn contact points" (or so I'm told). That other problem was my power window relay; I changed it and it works fine now. Any suggestions? Should I swap my starter just to be safe, or might it be a wiring thing that will be difficult to trace?
S13squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Test the starting circuit first before just swapping parts. How is your battery voltage. Check for a voltage drop on the positive cable and negative battery cable. Then check for voltage drop accross the solenoids battery and motor terminal. The voltage drop should be 0.2v at most. Does the starter make the click sound but not start or does it just do nothing?
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
dreamer
Zilvia Junkie

dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
that has happened to two of my 240s. never found out why exactly, it has something to do with improper wiring with the ignition. the guy that bought one of mine fixed it, he said 2 wires were switched or something.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
S13squirrel

you don't have that guy's email or phone number, do you? you can email it to me, [email protected] if at all possible.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Bypass the starter relay, 9 times out of 10 it's got a dead trace in it. If that doesn't fix it go ahead and replace the starter, the solenoid is on it's way out.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #6
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
i had the exact same problem.

turns my negative battery cable was badly corroded from a small nick in the rubber.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
S13squirrel

ooooooo I have several leads to pursue, thanx guys. Anyone else with ideas is welcome to mention them, but I will try these things for now. Aren't electrical problems common on Nissans? I have heard of older 300zx's literally being given up on by their owners because of the headache of electrical stuff.