Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: What is the highest level of eduction you completed?
None 1 0.59%
Elementary school 3 1.76%
Some high school 14 8.24%
Completed high school or GED 25 14.71%
Some college, technical, or certificate program 64 37.65%
Completed 2-year program (Associate's) 23 13.53%
Completed 4-year program (Bachelor's) 30 17.65%
Post-graduate studies 4 2.35%
Completed post-graduate studies (Master's) 2 1.18%
Additional education (PhD, post-doc, etc.) 4 2.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #61
burgy240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
burgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to allburgy240 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burgy240 Send a message via Yahoo to burgy240
Stanford Grad.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #62
24Zero
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
24Zero has a spectacular aura about24Zero has a spectacular aura about24Zero has a spectacular aura about24Zero has a spectacular aura about24Zero has a spectacular aura about24Zero has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 24Zero Send a message via Yahoo to 24Zero
I have a BS from UNA (Economics & Finance)

My Site www.24zero.com
30D | 17-40L | 27-70L | 70-200L
Some of my work
Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 AM   #63
prsfan01

prsfan01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to prsfan01
Associates in Business Mang. Tech. Certificate in Culinary Arts.

Yeah, I cook......It impresses the ladies! lol

1993 240sx Daily Driver.
1994 NX2000 rally-x car.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #64
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Associates in Multi Media from ITT.

I want to get my BA, but it'll take forever with my schedule. Not sure what the H I'm gonna do.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #65
spinitsidewayz
Leaky Injector

spinitsidewayz is making a name for him/her selfspinitsidewayz is making a name for him/her self
Currently in community college taking GE's and some automotive. 18 units + work is kicking my ass! My original plan was to get a degree in Marine Transportation and become a Merchant Marine at Cal Maritime, although everything else in my life at the moment is holding me back.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #66
reaxion
Zilvia Junkie

reaxion is making a name for him/her selfreaxion is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to reaxion
2 years gen ed, business management major. may go back and finish...sooner rather than later.

UTI grad, currently employed at Infiniti.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #67
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet
There is alot of good information for someone whos about to graduate high school in this thread and i hope the ones that can apply to this information can take full advantage of it.

Here is some of my insight: In highschool, they always emphasize doing what you like to do as a career. What alot of people end up learning is doing something for a while will get borring, even if you thought you liked it. I know alot of my friends thought mechanical engineering was the coolest ever because it had to do with cars in certain fields. They end up learning that real engineering sucks. When choosing a major, I think it is important that you choose your major carfully basing on the basic skills used in the career field and its potential income rather than something you think will be fun. I have some friends that are in their mid 20s with little to no college education working fairly low income jobs for their age that are still trying to figure out what they they like. The truth behind it is not job is really fun. A job is to make money, not to directly provide pleasure. Part of being an adult is doing crap you dont want to do. People need to realize that. However, while not everything is fun, you can make it "fun" by setting goals and trying to meet them and such. Life itself is a big mental game. You can make it whatever you want it to be.
I was really impressed with this post, especially from somebody his age. That's not easy to learn.

I'll add that the biggest thing is you have to realize that no matter what you do, there are going to be crap you'll have to put up with. That's just how the world works. You can thank all the stupid people we have for that.

So just because you do something you like, that doesn't mean you don't have to put up with other people's crap. Since you have to put up with crap any which way you go, why not get something actually pays worth a damn?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #68
yfz460
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (24)
yfz460 is making a name for him/her selfyfz460 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yfz460
I'm still working on my senior year.... but then I plan on going to a local community college and become a certified technician and eventually go off to Universal Technical Institute in Norwood, Massachusetts (awesome campus btw).

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
People build cars to please zilvia.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #69
scottyb
Leaky Injector

scottyb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is some of my insight: In highschool, they always emphasize doing what you like to do as a career. What alot of people end up learning is doing something for a while will get borring, even if you thought you liked it. I know alot of my friends thought mechanical engineering was the coolest ever because it had to do with cars in certain fields. They end up learning that real engineering sucks. When choosing a major, I think it is important that you choose your major carfully basing on the basic skills used in the career field and its potential income rather than something you think will be fun. I have some friends that are in their mid 20s with little to no college education working fairly low income jobs for their age that are still trying to figure out what they they like. The truth behind it is not job is really fun. A job is to make money, not to directly provide pleasure. Part of being an adult is doing crap you dont want to do. People need to realize that. However, while not everything is fun, you can make it "fun" by setting goals and trying to meet them and such. Life itself is a big mental game. You can make it whatever you want it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
I was really impressed with this post, especially from somebody his age. That's not easy to learn.

I'll add that the biggest thing is you have to realize that no matter what you do, there are going to be crap you'll have to put up with. That's just how the world works. You can thank all the stupid people we have for that.

So just because you do something you like, that doesn't mean you don't have to put up with other people's crap. Since you have to put up with crap any which way you go, why not get something actually pays worth a damn?
I have to disagree with some of this. Certainly no job is going to be fun all the time, you aren't going to find a job that pays you to do something you would do in your freetime. That is an unrealistic goal and I think highschool guidance councelors give that advice too often. A fun, realistic job is one that engages your brain in a way that you find interesting. Getting a job that makes you wake up all bushy tailed in the morning is a pipe dream.

Every job is going to suck in one way or another, you are going to have put up with crap you don't want to do every once in awhile. That doesn't mean that every job is the same crappyness so you should go for a career that pays the most.

Trust me, if you go for only the $$$$ you are going to be wanting to kill yourself very quickly. ALL of my friends who got investment banking jobs or consulting jobs right out of school that pay them $60-100k a year HATE their jobs.

Every time I go to my dentist he tells me how much he hates his job, but now that he's been in it for so long he can't do anything else, he is only a dentist and that's all he'll ever be. But guess what? He probably makes $200k+ a year and he still HATES his job.

My point, if you kiddies haven't picked it up yet, is find a field of study that engages your brain and leaves your options open for later. Personally, as an engineer, I know there are endless jobs that I can do, or I can go back to grad school and specialize in something else I find interesting. I know I would hate being a lawyer, doctor, teacher, consultant, banker, etc. I don't LOVE my job, but I find engineering interesting, and that's what counts.

One last example: I have a few teacher friends who really like their jobs, but they get paid absolute shit, and I guarantee you that they are WAY happier than my friends on Wall Street.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #70
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
Indiana University Bloomington. B.S. in Business concentration in Acctg. and Ops mgt
Indiana University Bloomington. M.B.A with concentration in Acctg. and Finance.

To be honest, MBA level finance courses = undergrad finance courses with different packaging... too shallow IMO.

I work for the so called "Big 4" acctg. firm (that start with a K) right now since I went through 6 years of college + grad school all together at once... I am half way there with my CPA license (no, I don't do Tax, and I don't do Audit either). I was going back to Pittsburgh for the corp. job (which I really loved), but the deal went south so I ended up in Chicago , which is not too bad at all.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM   #71
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
No offense, but didn't you say you were unemployed?

I am 100% sure that if you asked all of your friends if they love all aspects of their job, you will get a resounding "no".

Every job has stupid things you have to deal with. The good things may outweigh the bad things, but there will always be bad things you have to deal with.

Those who don't think that don't have enough work experience. Teachers especially have to deal with bureaucratic crap. I really enjoy teaching, but there is also a bunch of politics that go on in the background. That stuff sucks all the energy out of you.

There are several dimensions in evaluating which job is better. Pay and "happiness" are just a couple of those dimensions. There are other considerations as well.

The one thing that sucks with all jobs is that stupid people hate it when you tell them they're wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. I don't know how people in retail do it.

And KPMG can kiss my ass.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #72
scottyb
Leaky Injector

scottyb is on a distinguished road
Yes, I was unemployed at the time because I was interviewing, but that doesn't mean I don't have enough work experience to bring some insight.

G6, I think we're on the same page, except that you seem to be telling people that because every job has SOME crap to deal with you might as well pick something that pays a lot of money. I don't think that's true; just as you said, there are some jobs where the good parts outweigh the bad, and those are the ones that you should look for.

I never made the statement that my friends who like their jobs are having a great time 100% of the time, they certainly have crappy things to deal with once in awhile, but I think they deal with shit a lot less often or the level of crappitude of the shit is less than what my friends who hate their jobs have to deal with.

And like you said, there are many considerations in finding a career, more than just money and how much shit you have to deal with. It just seems like you are telling people that these are the only things that matter.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #73
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Yes, I was unemployed at the time because I was interviewing, but that doesn't mean I don't have enough work experience to bring some insight.

G6, I think we're on the same page, except that you seem to be telling people that because every job has SOME crap to deal with you might as well pick something that pays a lot of money. I don't think that's true; just as you said, there are some jobs where the good parts outweigh the bad, and those are the ones that you should look for.

I never made the statement that my friends who like their jobs are having a great time 100% of the time, they certainly have crappy things to deal with once in awhile, but I think they deal with shit a lot less often or the level of crappitude of the shit is less than what my friends who hate their jobs have to deal with.

And like you said, there are many considerations in finding a career, more than just money and how much shit you have to deal with. It just seems like you are telling people that these are the only things that matter.
I think we're talking about different things. A job is a temporary stepping stone towards a career.

But the sentiment is like going to college. You can do a good job and get it done in 3-4 years, or you can take the easy route and take 6-8 years. You'll have a better time, but you've wasted 2-5 years of your life that you could have been doing something else.

The purpose of a job is to get paid. If not, you're volunteering. The more money you can save, the earlier you can retire and really do the things you want.

Save as much as possible and be smart about your job/career. That's all I'm saying. You don't want to get stuck in a dream job, and when you retire you realized that you just wasted 20 years of your life.

The other attitude is you should enjoy as much as possible before you die. It's true, but life doesn't stop when you die. You should think of your family and friends who need help. If you splurge and die, nothing will come of your life. But if you try to be selfless and help some people along the way, that will be your legacy.

What I'm saying is I'm always pushing people to be more successful. You can be comfortable where you are, but truly successful people who are living up to their potentials are always struggling. If you're not struggling, you're not trying.

Be extraordinary in what you do. Don't be content to settle with a pathetic life because you're afraid to try.

Bullshit are everywhere. I mean browse through Zilvia and you'll see That's the world we live in.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #74
bamaboy
Zilvia FREAK!

bamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfectionbamaboy is close to perfection
I think opinions about being happy with your job are as diverse as the culture we are part of. Some people find happiness is just doing a good job at what ever they do. I myself love my job now. I would never have thought I would be in middle management with a very large energy company. I didn't set out to work in this industry it just came along at the right time. I wasn't even going to college until I started in my field and decided I wanted to learn more about it.
I think the most important thing is similar to what was said above, find something that is stimulating and doesn't make you bored everyday, then set goals as to where you want your career to go in the next year, 5 years, 10 years.....and so on, then do your best to be sucessful at whatever you are doing. I think most people end up doing something they never thought they would do. You have to find your comfort zone where you can apply whatever talents you have to what it is you are doing. The most important thing in any career to me is taking pride in what you do and making sure that everything you are a part of is a reflection of your abilities, because no matter what, you are judged in the business world by your successes and failures and that will dictate your promotability, your compensation, and ultimately when and if you are able to retire.

Quote:
Right now you are my biggest fan. You are to me what a sex tape is to Paris Hilton, not the best publicity in the world, but at least I'm on people's mind and it has something to do with a pussy!!! HAAHAAAAAAA
Old 11-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #75
azndummie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
azndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
im going for my OD so ill see you guys in 8 years
Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #76
deadpirate
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
deadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfectiondeadpirate is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to deadpirate Send a message via Yahoo to deadpirate
going for my BA in science of the arts aka: film degree
in the final stretch, if all goes well, i will graduate in october 07. started in august 04
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #77
Vlasic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Vlasic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Vlasic Send a message via AIM to Vlasic
Attending CCSF right now, plan to transfer to UC in a year.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #78
jrocslider
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
jrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfectionjrocslider is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
attending school right now for my associates in airframe and powerplant tech. workin on planes
Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #79
ThomasJamal

ThomasJamal is making his/her stupidity well-knownThomasJamal is making his/her stupidity well-knownThomasJamal is making his/her stupidity well-known
I have a Bachelors and now I'm half way through a masters...
Old 02-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #80
Kaotik25
Zilvia Junkie

Kaotik25 has made poor choicesKaotik25 has made poor choicesKaotik25 has made poor choicesKaotik25 has made poor choicesKaotik25 has made poor choicesKaotik25 has made poor choices
Just finished my bachelor's of science from Berkeley. Applying for Master of Engineering.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #81
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
whats the difference in getting a Masters of Engineering degree versus a getting a FE, and PE cert after Bachelors?

+
i been looking into MBA recently and i have a pretty noob question about it because i really dont know who to ask: Do you need a bachelors in business before you do the program or does your GMAT score say it all?
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #82
240giiiirrrrl
BANNED

240giiiirrrrl is a well-known jackass
i go to LA harbor college...trying to get into the nursing program so i could start making that green!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #83
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Do you need a bachelors in business before you do the program or does your GMAT score say it all?
I got you. No, you do not need an undergraduate degree to apply to an MBA program.

Just be warned that I don't advise getting an MBA unless you go to a top 10school (Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, Cornell, Wharton, Yale, Darden, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, etc.) because the market is very saturated with MBA's from second and third tier schools.

You can get an MBA from Strayer College night school as well, but it won't be worth anywhere near one from an Ivy League school.

I strongly recommend you go for the best, or save your time/money and get more good work experience.
Closed Thread