Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
s&tcustoms

Trader Rating: (0)
s&tcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First 240 build

Whats up zilvia. My names Taylor, I'm 19 and I live in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY (New Lebanon) and go to school at UTI in Norwood, MA. I got my first 240 in the summer of 2013 by trading it for a 1997 Honda Prelude.

I wanted to get out of the honda scene for a while and I finally found the right 240. So out went the honda.

And I was on my way home with a 92 hatch with a ka in it. 240,000 miles but it already had the basic necessities for the beginning of a simple steet/drift car. Full cage, 5 lug swap, s14 vlsd.

IMG_0103

So I began with my ridiculous process of brainstorming and planning and my first idea was a ka-t setup. Which would have been cool but the tank of a ka I had didn't seem like a good idea with 240,000 miles. So after a bunch of searching for low mile ka's, rb's, and 1j/2j's I realized I needed to find a cheaper alternative. So I found a guy who was selling a sr motor/tranny on craigslist and coincidentally he was looking for a dirtbike. So after some luck and bargaining I let go my mint 02 yz250f and I was driving home with a car load of an sr20det. (In about 50 different pieces).

IMG_0571

IMG_0572

So now it's late fall and I begin to clean, sort and piece together the motor throughout the winter. It took way longer due to my inexperience with sr's and motor internals in general. As well as a bunch of missing parts that I slowly but surely found and put together. Before this I had never even seen an sr besides glancing in engine bays at local drift events and car shows. But thanks to all of you at zilvia and other forums online I got it all together.

IMG_0711

So i pulled out the ka and prepped and painted the engine bay.

Before:

IMG_0703

After:

IMG_0984

So after countless hours of dealing with both wiring harnesses being torn apart beyond belief by the previous owners I had everything I needed. The full setup was a stock sr20det redtop, t28 bb turbo, enthalpy tune, cx front mount, jdm sr turbo manifold, stock elbow, isis downpipe, ebay test pipe, isis blast pipe catback (super loud and daily driven). I ended up using the ka tranny with sr bellhousing because it was solid and 5th gear is apparently higher.

So anyway I finally got everything else on the motor, pieced together most things since I had no turbo lines, coolant lines or vacuum lines with the motor and I dropped her in.

IMG_1161

The wiring is an absolute disaster in that picture but I went through hell and back diagnosing wiring problems for weeks because of the hacked harnesses. I think I pulled the harness out 10 times. This also could have had something to do with my lack of electrical knowledge. But eventually I got it running and cleaned up all the wiring.

IMG_1223

And it was time to party in my driveway

IMG_1349

So as of now I've been daily driving it since April and it's been a blast. I'm planning on doing a lot of interior work this fall/winter and some more work to make it a little nicer to dd. I will be storing it for the winter because upstate NY seems like the salt capital of the country.

But anyway since I have a ton of free time at school I figured I'd finally start making some posts on here. Any comments, advise, hate are appreciated and heres a few more random pictures for good measure.
-Taylor

IMG_0590

IMG_1294
s&tcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links