Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #61
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
I don't see how that thread explained your point.
Well it was to help explain why closed loop is disabled or can be disabled. It isn't fully disabled either as it is still used till about 1600RPM for that specific tune.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 03-05-2006 at 02:26 AM..
BigVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #62
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm using 93oct pump gas... I'm not going to make big changes at first, because I'm trying to help out the average 240sx owner by charting the gains made by readily available parts. Most guys aren't going to go drop $1400 on an AEM when they only have exhaust mods.

When I'm done with the simple stuff I'll go all out and start tweaking things. Who knows, maybe I'll actually hit the elusive 200whp mark.
anyotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #63
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Sounds good, I was just asking what octane you were using because (Scott)in geocities had a JWT tune, crank pulley, header and Greddy 3" exhaust. With no cams he pulled 169WHP, and 170ft/lb.s of torque using 104 octane to prevent any knock that would decrease the ignition timing. He also used the stock intake so those were pretty good numbers.
If the knock sensor is disabled (closed loop) those same numbers could be achieved on lower octanes, after all the KA's CR is under 9.6:1, I seriously doubt detonation would ocurr with that CR and 96octane. Then there is no interferance with the knock sensor at higher RPMs possibly allowing to achieve those same HP numbers. Of course with some fine tuning of the ignition and fuel maps.......
I defenitely wouldn't risk disabling open loop if infact I was running higher CR's that would cause detonation, so in this instance closed loop would not be disabled.....
Who said anything about tuning with an AEM $1400? Biki Roms are $300 and follow nissan ECCS developement. AEM EMS is reversed engineering that can sometimes be counterproductive in making BIG HP numbers, IMO many standalones are outdated and expensive once you've been taught ROM emulation, it's just more cost effective, and it SHOULD be affordable for those that just do exhaust tuning, or basic bolt ons, JWT blows.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 03-05-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #64
sultan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i've got a 3" resonated testpipe from my s13 i'm not using, a little scraped on the bottom but will trade for cheap dyno time to see what my almost stock ka is putting down.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #65
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

anyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to beholdanyotherone is a splendid one to behold
bigvinnie - interesting numbers... but you really can't compare numbers from one dyno to another, or really even one car to another. That dynosheet doesn't prove anything without a baseline on his car for comparison to see how much he actually gained over stock.

If bikiROM can be used to tune and it's cheaper, then good deal. What I have to tune with is an AEM EMS. Most guys will be using an SAFC, JWT ecu, or emanage to tune an S14 KA24de. What I said still stands - I'm doing some basic tuning here to begin with. After that, I'll do what I feel neccessary to make the power that I'm shooting for.

I'll post the tuned dyno runs tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #66
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyotherone
bigvinnie - interesting numbers... but you really can't compare numbers from one dyno to another, or really even one car to another. That dynosheet doesn't prove anything without a baseline on his car for comparison to see how much he actually gained over stock.
Agreed. But it is still a KA with a dyno sheet. True not all dyno's are the same either.

Quote:
Most guys will be using an SAFC, JWT ecu, or emanage to tune an S14 KA24de. What I said still stands.
JWT tunes for the s14 OBD2 suck all they do is remove speed limiter, there isn't any significant changes in the MAPS, and supposedly OBD2 ecu's are already as aggressive as they get for ignition timing to knock signal. Unlike stock OBD1 ECU's the stock tune is less aggressive and actual runs a bit richer, probably because of SCV's.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #67
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
redpotatoes is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Looking foward to see the dyno for your cams swap. I currently have the 248/248 setup. I want to try 248/232 and 248/240 this summer. Not sure which one is best but there is only one way to be sure. Keep on posting your dyno sheets and updates. References is always a good thing.
redpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #68
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry about asking for rep guys. I'm on several different boards, some of which asking for rep is a common occurance, I forgot about Zilvia's policy.

Cam dyno should be up shortly.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #69
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
I wonder when people will understand that BACKPRESSURE doesnt help with low end torque. exhaust gas scavenging caused by smaller diameter exhaust tubular headers do, which helps with scavenging at low RPMs, which helps with low end torque. it is mostly dependant on the header/head design more than anything, and not much to do with the exhaust.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #70
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pank
I wonder when people will understand that BACKPRESSURE doesnt help with low end torque. exhaust gas scavenging caused by smaller diameter exhaust tubular headers do, which helps with scavenging at low RPMs, which helps with low end torque. it is mostly dependant on the header/head design more than anything, and not much to do with the exhaust.
The 4-2-1 design is for low to mid power. A 4-1 is used for a high end power. I believe that diameter size of runners doesn't say to much about related torque though. HOTSHOTS GEN4 headers offer the largest runner diameter, and still aren't effecient to making just as much low end torque as the DC sports header, while both can still make the same HP rating(atleast what I have seen from numerous dyno results).The design of the headers splits pulses differently, especially due to runner length, and not it's diameter size.
Back pressure does play a small roll in how pulses are delivered to each cylinder, but then again we are talking under 2% is needed to regulate a smooth positive pulse.
I disagree with the use of a 4-1 on the KA after all it isn't a high rever that would utilize power to well in high RPM's (over 6500RPM).
I have found 4-2-1 headers to work the best on the KA since it utilizes the majority of it's power early.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #71
s13pignose
Zilvia FREAK!

s13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of light
So is it safe to say that if you wanna run a 3" ex with a header on a s14, you should replace the dummy cat with a high flow one if you don't wanna be loud?
s13pignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #72
s13pignose
Zilvia FREAK!

s13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of lights13pignose is a glorious beacon of light
Oh also anyone got sound clips of a s14 with header and 3" back? I ask for s14 cause s13 headers don't delete the cat from what I've read.
s13pignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #73
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
we want more dyno charts

let's see the improvements with cams, please.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #74
Dopefish
Zilvia Junkie

Dopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really niceDopefish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Dopefish
The tuning throws a variable in there... many (including myself) dont bother with tuning until most of the bolt ons have been done in N/A form. So your tuning will throw off the curve, would it be possible to do a run with the cams using your tuning and another run with the OE ECU plugged in?

I plan to go MegaSquirt with a MAP sensor soon but its not a top priority as I'd like the suspension to be tightened up a bit first.

~Kris
Old 03-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #75
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

The header is coming off... I have to daily drive this car and it's interfering with the steering on right turns. It's dangerous.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #76
jp.drifter.240sx

jp.drifter.240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
interfering with the steering on right turns.
is there not enough clearance between header and steering colum, or the actuall steering rack?
jp.drifter.240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #77
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
The header is coming off... I have to daily drive this car and it's interfering with the steering on right turns. It's dangerous.
Man, I had problems getting the OBX around the shaft. But, it cleared it easily when installed.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #78
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry that I left this thread for so long. Here's the status:

The header was packaged wrong, it's for an sohc, which explains why it wouldn't ever fit right. I still would not reccomend it, it's pretty much junk.

My car is down, so I haven't driven it in almost 2 weeks, just sorting through a lot of stuff that I've been meaning to maintain or fix over the last 9 months. I have another vehicle to drive, so I just haven't spent any time on it.

Lastly, I bought an series 1 RB25det that I'm freshening up to drop in. Yeah, I decided to make the plunge, possibly going for 400whp off the bat with a GT30r. Sorry for everyone that was looking for more N/A KA dynos.

If anyone lives around Carrollton and wants to dyno their car before/after with n/a mods to continue this thread or one like it, pm me and we might be able to work something out as far as free dyno time goes in order to help out our fellow 240 enthusiasts that are looking for cheap power.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 AM   #79
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
I thought exhaust ports on the sohc were in totally different locations.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #80
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
The header was packaged wrong, it's for an sohc, which explains why it wouldn't ever fit right. I still would not reccomend it, it's pretty much junk.

UUUUMMMM SOHC ports are completely different, they don't even bolt up, or are interchangeable.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #81
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

You are entitled to your opinion. Johnny5 has seen my car and lives near me... pm him and ask him if I'm lying.

As far as the dohc/sohc thing goes, I have no idea, since I have never worked with sohc ka's at all, period. I'm going off the part number that was on the outer box, vs the part number on the tag inside... outer said nothing, inner said sohc. It's possible that their whole labeling system is screwed up.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #82
S14DB
AFC #1

you try to put a S13 header on a S14?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #83
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
there is no fitment problem for putting an s13 header on s14, the EGR stuff is at the wrong angles, but it will bolt to the head fine and clear steering components. I did it.

using hotshot headers.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #84
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

I have no idea what the header is or why it didn't fit at this point.

It's possible that it is an S13 Dohc header, all I know it that it fit everywhere except the steering column clearance. I banged it with a hammer a little and thought that would do the trick, but I came to find that on right hand cornering the motor would move and it would bind... causing a potentially dangerous situation. It made power, it just wasn't worth it.

The paint immediately burnt off, making the header look like it has skin cancer too.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 PM   #85
weitau
Zilvia Junkie

weitau is an unknown quantity at this point
This was a good thread, I learned a lot! Thanks to anyotherone for his detailed efforts!

The only thing I would add is although a 3" exhaust clearly is superior to a 2.5", has anyone taken the weight difference into account?

A 2.5" pipe has a circumference of 7.85" and a 3.0" is 9.42". The difference is about 1.5". Multiply that by the length of the pipe, for example 118", and by thickness, 1/8" gives you 22.1 cubic inches

Stainless steel is 474.4 lbs/cu ft or .2745 lbs/cu in.

ok, so that's 6 lbs of extra weight.. not much to make a difference.
weitau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #86
devonkyle77
Post Whore!

devonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfectiondevonkyle77 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to devonkyle77
good gain, thanks for a good post
Old 04-28-2006, 07:15 AM   #87
kenversusryu
Zilvia Member

kenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nicekenversusryu is just really nice
any more dynos with the intake and cams?
kenversusryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #88
anyotherone
Zilvia Junkie

Sorry, I've actually pretty much abandoned my n/a KA power search. Too busy here at the shop to get on the dyno, lot's of personal stuff taking up my free time.

I actually have an RB25det now that I'm prepping for install, hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Should be fun, I'm planning on making 400rwhp with a GT35r and other mods on lowish boost.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #89
phrozen
Zilvia FREAK!

phrozen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to phrozen
well i made 160hp and 147tq on a stock ka with intake and ehxuast. it was a 91ka with 200K+ miles. nuff said =D

Please do not put your sig pic back if it exceeds this.
-Moderation
phrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #90
punkz
Leaky Injector

punkz is making a name for him/her selfpunkz is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
If anyone lives around Carrollton and wants to dyno their car before/after with n/a mods to continue this thread or one like it, pm me and we might be able to work something out as far as free dyno time goes in order to help out our fellow 240 enthusiasts that are looking for cheap power.
I'm in Plano so right down the street from you guys and only have an Apexi filter and Apexi GT exhaust on and would love to see where I sit at just for the hell of it. Also got that little Project Nissan cat by-pass pipe to go on and also thinking about getting and afc soon, and maybe a full exhaust system down the road since a swap/turboing the KA is something I don't want to go through at the moment. PM if we can work something out, I'm also a mod on DI (punkz32) so you can PM me on there as well

1997 240sx ------------------------- 1993 300zx TT
punkz is offline   Reply With Quote