Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #91
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Keep us posted if you get the trans bracket to work. Like I said I have been in contact with a few members and none of use were able to get it to install properly. The brackets goes into the chassis beautifully but the parts where the R154 mounts onto the bracket has not worked for anyone. Not sure if its any similar to the 2jz setup but the only part where I hammered in the firewall just a little bit is where the starter sits once everything was installed. It was like 1/8 of an inch from the wall so I hammered it in about a 1/4 of an inch in just to make sure it wouldnt make contact due to any movement.

Love the build....+1
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #92
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
Might I suggest the Tomei oil block peice ? I have it and its really nice, cheap to buy also, only like 100 bucks, but you have to relocate your filter, but doing so gives you the option to also run a oil cooler.

I have the GREX oil filter relocate box so I can run -10 for a oil cooler also., but the Tomei peice would take away a lot of wory of that peice breaking again.

love your build, and the vids of you in the PARC, you have really smooth runs, keep up the great work mate
Thanks man! I'm using something different for oil cooling on the 1jz, never again with a sandwich plate lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Keep us posted if you get the trans bracket to work. Like I said I have been in contact with a few members and none of use were able to get it to install properly. The brackets goes into the chassis beautifully but the parts where the R154 mounts onto the bracket has not worked for anyone. Not sure if its any similar to the 2jz setup but the only part where I hammered in the firewall just a little bit is where the starter sits once everything was installed. It was like 1/8 of an inch from the wall so I hammered it in about a 1/4 of an inch in just to make sure it wouldnt make contact due to any movement.

Love the build....+1

I have a mount I can try in the bracket tonight, Xcessive is local to me so I can see what's going on faster than most of you. I keep hearing that the holes are off. I'm happy that people dig the build, I've been through alot of bs, hoping this goes smoothly, so far so good!
di-devol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #93
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jesus H Crust, you must have been nothing short of Hitler in your previous life... your luck is terrible. Looking like it is turning around for you though.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #94
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
Jesus H Crust, you must have been nothing short of Hitler in your previous life... your luck is terrible. Looking like it is turning around for you though.
LOL, I know right? Was crazy for sure, lets hope the curse was with the SR.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #95
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Flocked the dash tonight. Holy shit that was not fun. Waaaaaaaay more work than one would think. I used the mini folocker at first until I got the dash cover were I was happy with it. Then gave up and just grabbed handfuls of that and started tossing it on there lol.

There is a lot of excess on there, I'll take some pics tomorrow after it's cured and shaken off.

Cut the water neck to accommodate my KA radiator.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #96
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Flocking the dash seriously sucked.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #97
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
But it looks badass.

What took so much time?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #98
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritatedmax View Post
But it looks badass.

What took so much time?
The "flocking process" took the most time. Putting the glue on was easy. You get this little canister:

The fibers are like dust coming out of it. Glue drying time is 10-15min, by the time I figured out how to get the dust to come out fast, the dying time was half over. Shaking it slowly worked better than trying to use it like a shake weight lol.

After I got the correct flocking texture using the mini flocker, I gave up and used handfuls of the stuff and kinda threw it on there lightly. That worked alot better, but I would use the flocker first.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #99
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
The "flocking process" took the most time. Putting the glue on was easy. You get this little canister:

The fibers are like dust coming out of it. Glue drying time is 10-15min, by the time I figured out how to get the dust to come out fast, the dying time was half over. Shaking it slowly worked better than trying to use it like a shake weight lol.

After I got the correct flocking texture using the mini flocker, I gave up and used handfuls of the stuff and kinda threw it on there lightly. That worked alot better, but I would use the flocker first.
Where did you get the material to do the flocking?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #100
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Here is the write up I followed.
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/254699...uede-look.html

I ordered:
a 1lb bag of black nylon suede-tex fibers
Suede-Tex Color-coordinated Undercoat Adhesive 8 oz. can -Black
and a mini flocker.

Flock It! Flocking Fibers Adhesives Applicators Supplies and Equipment

Was about $55 shipped. Came out really good, I dig it a lot.

The 8oz can of glue was just enough to do the dash. I have enough fibers left over to do another dash.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #101
Extreme Dimensions
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (9)
Extreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to beholdExtreme Dimensions is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
come on! keep going on this project.
Extreme Dimensions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #102
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Some more pics as the interior comes together.

Anyone got a good way to get this stuff off?

Manual doors

One of the cool things I have, Conrad Grunewald's door lol.

Got the engine harness off to Fiend Performance, then we'll start on the chassis wiring soon.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #103
240boi115
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
240boi115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
dude nice build.. that single slammin ka you build is the shit man! mad props!
240boi115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #104
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Yanked the engine and started to finish her up.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #105
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quick questions on fuel cell/surge tank setup. I'm having trouble understanding everything,

1) If I get a fuel cell with a sump, do I need a surge tank?

2) If I could use a surge tank is this a proper way to set it up?(pardon my chicken scratch)

3) if you can read my writing, the two fittings on the side of the surge tank, one for return from rail, and one for low pump in, which one should be on top out of the two?

...and what's adequate low pressure? I see pumps ranging from 7-16psi, 7psi enough?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #106
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
@Di-Devol.....below is a good link to basic information about a fuel surge setup.

1) No, once the fuel cell has a sump you would not need to run a Surge Tank. You would use the Surge Tank setup if you are keeping the stock fuel tank and feeding the surge to and from there. (hope that makes sense.....read the article it will).

2) Really depends on your external fuel pump setup. When I was thinking about running this setup I was going to have a Walbro 255 in-tank feed into the Surge. Then on the opposite side of the Surge I was going to have 2-Bosch 044s feed from the bottom of the Surge into the fuel rail. The above design would be good for one pump if thats what your looking for.

510 – DIY Fuel Surge Tank » RatDat.com

My 2 cents...if you dont mind running a cell with a sump its a safer option. Less intricate setup with less pumps that may cause failure. Get a dual feed sumped cell with 2 bosch 044 pumps and you are good to go.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #107
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Parts are finally starting to come in.

Mocking up the fuel cell.

Car goes in for the cage at the beginning of May. Then the wiring can get done.
More updates coming as parts roll in.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #108
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
are you getting the cage done at psi?
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #109
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
are you getting the cage done at psi?
No, going to racetech in portland. PSI and Rhom are both to spendy for me.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #110
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
my old roomate had his cage done at racetech and it was 1800(6pt no gussets). JJ said they could try to match the price pretty close. idk how close pretty close is, i was planning on spending $2000 for a cage.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #111
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
my old roomate had his cage done at racetech and it was 1800(6pt no gussets). JJ said they could try to match the price pretty close. idk how close pretty close is, i was planning on spending $2000 for a cage.
Holy hell that's expensive for a 6pt cage! My buddy got a 6pt cage done down here by a local race shop for $600 or $100/pt
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #112
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Holy hell that's expensive for a 6pt cage! My buddy got a 6pt cage done down here by a local race shop for $600 or $100/pt
2k for a legal cage is cheap up here.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #113
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
2k for a legal cage is cheap up here.
That's nuts... lol that's 2k worth of JZ upgrades
Old 04-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #114
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
That's nuts... lol that's 2k worth of JZ upgrades
Ha, why do you think my budget came out to like 8k lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #115
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Ha, why do you think my budget came out to like 8k lol.
Shit I'm well past 8k without a cage... This damn swap is not for the typical drifter on a budget
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #116
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Shit I'm well past 8k without a cage... This damn swap is not for the typical drifter on a budget
Nope, I agree.

I'm keeping the 1jz sealed, not touching anything this time.

So the budget included the cage/fuel/wiring/saftey gear.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #117
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Finally got the routing done for the fuel cell and surge tank.

Waiting for fittings and hoses to come.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #118
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Not much of an update, testing colors for the car. Satin Indigo blue pearl seems to be the best looking. Just have to get it mixed up and start spraying now.

Car goes to Racetech on May 4th for the cage and rear bulkhead/firewall.

Picked up Achilles tire, Fiend Performance, and 425 Motorsports as sponsors as well!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #119
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Got her painted. First time spraying a car with an actual gun(cheap one at that).

Painting the bumpers and skirts today.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #120
BlackBeard

Trader Rating: (0)
BlackBeard is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice build, just read through it all. One random question, how did you get one of Conrad Grunewald's doors?
BlackBeard is offline   Reply With Quote