Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
ThatGoldS14

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGoldS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Hate to bring up electric fans but...

Ok so I've search here and Google and I might have missed something. From what I've read everyone runs relays of temp controllers. But just to try it out I hooked up my dual fans to the stock hi/lo wires that the old efan was hooked up to and bam hi fan kicks on with AC and high temp and when I was stopped the other fan kicked on to lower the temperature. Then as I was driving since I had air in my system (didn't want to add more coolant to leak out if it didn't work) it cause the car to overheat for Second and both fans kick on with the the ac off....so my question.... is this the wiring okay to do it? I have a temp control but why would I use it if the stock wiring is working???

I don't post on here much because I do my research... I've worked tons on my car but electrical just goes over my head sometimes.. thanks guys in advance.
ThatGoldS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
thegr8one013
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
thegr8one013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What engine swap do you have because ka24de don't have hi low wires since it's mechanical fan
thegr8one013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
ThatGoldS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8one013 View Post
What engine swap do you have because ka24de don't have hi low wires since it's mechanical fan
Stock ka24de The clutch fan went out last year but the electric fan was keeping it cool but I don't want to chance it this summer so I swapped the single electric fan for a dual fan with a shroud. Its the isr fans... And there is 4 wires that run to the stock e fan. One kicks on once the low temp is reach and the other when high temp is reached or ac is turn on.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
The stock electric fan is for the AC Condenser. I wouldn't rely on that circuitry for engine cooling purposes. You need a fan controller.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
The stock electric fan is for the AC Condenser. I wouldn't rely on that circuitry for engine cooling purposes. You need a fan controller.

You definitely could if you simply used that circuit to trigger a relay and not for the actual power to the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
You definitely could if you simply used that circuit to trigger a relay and not for the actual power to the fan.

Did the guy not use relays? I saw the word in there some where.

If you're going to use electric fans run a relay. That's what they're made for. Obviously using your existing circuit isn't working properly so you should use the controller.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
I agree that it would work. But I just skimmed though the Heating & A/C section of the FSM and the only thing that I could find about the operation of the Condenser Fan is that it is triggered by Pin #9 of the ECU. I couldn't find anything about the logic eg. triggered at a certain coolant temp, when AC is requested etc.

So I personally would not rely on that circuit for Radiator Fan control.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Get a DCC fan controller....little pricey but I haven't had any issues in 2 years...just wired it in was set to a good temp out the box and works perfectly with my Altima fans!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
ThatGoldS14

Well everything is working properly both fans work. My car doesn't over heat at all. I do have a temp control that I haven't hooked up yet only because the instructions are so blurry I can't read it lol. But if they work properly why add a temp control... Not trying to question people's knowledge but if it works properly why not trust the existing circuit?
Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGoldS14 View Post
Well everything is working properly both fans work. My car doesn't over heat at all. I do have a temp control that I haven't hooked up yet only because the instructions are so blurry I can't read it lol. But if they work properly why add a temp control... Not trying to question people's knowledge but if it works properly why not trust the existing circuit?

Your original post says you did overheat. This one says you didn't. I no longer get what the point of you posting was?

You either run a relay to power your fans with your existing +12v being the trigger to the relay.

OR

You run your fan controller.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

That's how I hooked up my altima efans. Both fans kick on at about 92*C.

The ECU grounds the relays which trigger the fans so what you could do is add a thermoswitch to provide an additional ground for these relays at a lower temp. I was planning on getting a 185*F/85*C thermoswitch on the water neck and have the ECU as backup.

Make sure you have good fans. I had the Mishimoto fans with the shroud and my engine overheated at speed. There simply wasn't enough airflow through the radiator and the fans didn't move all that much air to begin with. The altima fans kick ass and they fit on the 240sx radiators pretty nice with very little overlap. If you sealed this gap it would work more efficiently.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGoldS14 View Post
...if it works properly why not trust the existing circuit?
It depends on what your definition of "working properly" is. If just having the fans turn on is good enough for you, then sure, maybe what you have now is good enough.

However, as I already explained, there's no documentation in the FSM on how that Condenser Fan circuit operates.

Personally, I would want some kind of reassurance that my radiator fans will turn on, stay on and turn off as required by the vehicle's cooling system. That's what fan controllers are for.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #13
r34sr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
r34sr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Replace your cluch fan....they are very effective at cooling esp with a gktech fan blade....dont give into the hype of efans.
r34sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
However, as I already explained, there's no documentation in the FSM on how that Condenser Fan circuit operates
EC-205 in the '95 FSM fam
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #15
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
The altima fans kick ass and they fit on the 240sx radiators pretty nice with very little overlap.
Proven to be the ONLY electric fans you should EVER run in your S-Chassis... there was a big ol write up on it in Super Street years and years ago. They tested every major brands electric fans vs the Altima fans. Altima fans blew everything out of the water (no pun intended) and actually came close to the stock clutch fan! So if for some strange reason you HAVE TO run electric fans, go the Altima fan route.

Keep in mind that your clutch fan will be the best option period as it spins with the speed of the motor and draws more air than any electric ever will, especially if you run a GK Tech fan (which draws 35% more air than the OE clutch fan does, plus it sounds fucking EVIL). Upgrading your cooling system also makes a HUGE difference. Pick up a 55mm Koyo Aluminum radiator, NISMO colder thermostat and GK Tech clutch fan replacement, you will have ZERO cooling issues... even if youre running A/C. I have all 3 in my S13 with an SR, I barely see temps over 175 in the middle of Summer when its like 120deg+ out in direct sunlight + asphalt!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:27 PM   #16
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
EC-205 in the '95 FSM fam
I stand corrected. I was looking in the HA section of the S13 FSM since OP didn't specify.

But I now see that there is similar information in the S13 FSM too: EC-26.

So there you have it everyone: the information is in the FSM for you to decide if you would like to wire you aftermarket radiator fans this way.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:09 AM   #17
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I have my electric fans wired through the factory condenser fan circuit. I have hi and lo grounded together so they both kick on at the lower temperature. My car typically stays around 70-80* C driving around, and in traffic with the A/C on. A/C seems to work better with two fans pulling through the entire condenser. On track days temperature will elevate to 90-100* C, but never really past that. Biggest thing is to use fans that actually pull decent cfms, the fans that come with the isr shroud are hot trash, I'm using 2 1300cfm 12" spals with a isr shroud.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I run a Taurus oem relayed fan in both my rb and in my 1.5jz sc. they kick hot air's ass.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote