Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #1
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB #3 plug keeps fouling out

First of all I have an RB26dett

I was at the track today and made a couple ok passes, on one pass I missed 3rd and hit the rev limiter. Couple passed later I'm in 2nd at about 7,800 and go to shift into 3rd when I have absolutely no power. I though I had blown an IC pipe but everything was intact.

Ok, so I pull the plugs and #3 is really fouled and #4 is on its way...the rest are fine. I throw a new set in and head home, as soon as get into it a little (5,500 rpm or so) the car starts missing again. After limping home I pull the plugs again and all are completely clean besides #3 which is fouled pretty good.

I'm thinking it's either a bad injector or a bad coil... thoughts?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check the o ring on the injector..
Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Blackparade
Zilvia FREAK!

Blackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfection
Swap coils around, see if the problem moves with the coil. What intake manifold are you running? Try that and let us know.
Blackparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

godzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to allgodzillarb is a name known to all
I'll try the swapping coil thing tomorrow...isn't there a way to use a volt meter to test them as well?

Intake manifold is stock
Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Big Bronze Rim
Zilvia Member

Big Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the roughBig Bronze Rim is a jewel in the rough
There is a way to test them, but I have had limited luck with the test. I have had 2 die on my sr - ignition would break up under boost above 4k rpm, but would idle fine. All the coils tested ok, but the coil finally decided to die completely making troubleshooting easy. You can also check for an internal injector leak by unbolting the rail, lay it on some paper towels and cycle the key to run the pump and pressurized the rail and check for leaks on #3, although it may not actually leak at idle.
Big Bronze Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
godzillarb
Zilvia Junkie

That sounds a lot like what happened the second time, as soon as I hit some boost it killed the plug. After swapping in all new plugs the car idled great, until hitting boost and then it was ass.

I was running a little more boost than usual at the track...maybe that had something to do with it (14 instead of 12)
Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
First you should really read your plugs. Fouled can men anything from a blown piston ring, leaky injectors, or misfiring spark plugs. Don't jump to conclusion a the plugs will usually tell you exactly what happened to that motor. You can find a guide to reading plugs on google.
slider2828 is offline   Reply With Quote