Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-14-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
glockmaster45

Trader Rating: (0)
glockmaster45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 2jz swap

how many people are out there runing a stock tt or aristo ecu im looking to do the 2jz swap i would like to have something fun to drive this summer i been out of the car game way to long about 13 years i stuck between a lsx or 2jz im not rich i do have a little money to complete the swap minus a haltech/aem for the guys with lsx swap or 2jz whats best drop in plug and play for the money yes i know there no such thing as drop in but im sure u guys know i mean
glockmaster45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
StarFireKouki97
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
StarFireKouki97 is on the path to ruinStarFireKouki97 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Depends on your budget I have a direct swap for s14 chassis
StarFireKouki97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Koukiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm in the middle of that exact build. There's someone on instagram that drifts a s14 with a stock ECU single turbo VVTI 2JZ turbo motor. Makes like 450hp no tuning.

That's what I'm aiming for as going standalone with injectors, better rims/tires, fuel system, tuning, etc... Adds a lot to the cost of an already costly swap.
Koukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Check out the Engine Tech section under Tech Talk....should have everything you need there.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I’m running LSx with stock ecm, and I get any part I need at the local parts store. Love every second of it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmaster45 View Post
im not rich i do have a little money
This however is the line that scares me...haha especially when swapping. All of my swap parts that were supposed to “fit,” still need some finesseing.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
How many people are out there running a 2jz with a stock ecu? I'm looking to do a 2jz swap as I would like to have something fun to drive this summer. I've been out of the car game way to long, about 13 years. I'm stuck between an lsx or 2jz. I'm not rich, but i do have a little money to complete the swap. For the guys with lsx swap or 2jz whats best drop in plug and play for the money? Yes, i know there no such thing as drop in, but I'm sure you guys know i mean.
I think either a jz or lsx is about the same in terms of price. You don't have to be rich to do either, but you need a good budget. Also, a stock ecu on a jz is fine even for an upgraded turbo.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Stock computer for turbo LS also

For me a beefy automatic trans, torque management, and low engine cost was the deciding factor. I Would have went the other way but those engines seem to cost too much and weigh similarly.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 AM   #9
glockmaster45

damn t56 and r154 are rare these days ive been out the to long
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
pricing both out ( was looking at the same swaps a while ago) the lsx would be cheaper but still needs a good amount of money to do...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
glockmaster45

yea i cant make up my mind im not looking to drift i would like a nice street/drag daily driver full interior
Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
yea i cant make up my mind im not looking to drift i would like a nice street/drag daily driver full interior
Expect to drop ~20k on a proper done turbo LSx with automatic transmission on a stock truck engine, in a full interior stock suspension stock paint 240sx @ 500-700rwhp

You can probably do a non turbo LS for around 1/2 to 3/4 of that. But at almost half the power (350-450) that is SR20 territory and I'd rather have the SR for its economy and easy plug access etc...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
glockmaster45

that seems a bit high 20k for turbo lsx
Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Quote:
that seems a bit high 20k for turbo lsx
Anyone running a turbo LSx on the street is just insane. I have a fully built NA LS pushing 450hp and its more than enough. Trust me I didnt even spend close to that man. If you do it right and lurk the FS thread you can find deals everywhere.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
And to add to that, I'm like $7k in on a single turbo 1jz with cd009 in an s13.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #16
glockmaster45

5-7k is what I have to spend but a co worker just gave me an idea maybe I could save some cash and swap in a 2jzge and go the na-t route and still make very good power
Old 05-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #17
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

thats a terrible idea, I hate to be the one to say it but that swap just isn't worth the effort

You need the turbo model, the turbo ecu, the turbo compression ratio, the turbo piston oil squirters, the turbo everything. Toyota didn't put any of the good stuff in the NA engines, and I am pretty sure they still weigh what an IRON LSx weighs. It won't make the turbo any cheaper, and it does make everything else more expensive.

with 5-7k your best bet is to buy a bunch of cheap cars, fix them up, drive one and sell the others for profits, until you have 15-20k to drop on a proper swap or FIND the 240sx you want somebody already "built somewhat" with a stock (hopefully reliable stock) drivetrain. The buying/selling more or less is what I did by accident.
i.e. after I sold my white 240 and had NO car to drive (Im a 1 car guy) I picked up a POS sentra for 600. Had it for ONE DAY and hated it so I sold it in CL for $800 the next.
Then I found a Corolla auto for 800. It had some kinda weird wheel bearing noise so I sold it a couple days later for $1500.
Then I finally decided (4-5 days went by) I wanted a truck. a Tacoma was perfect for an LS/2J swap (at the time I was tryin' to figure out what to build). So I got a little pickup for $1900 decent enough.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-14137387
Started making my plans to swap the truck (I work fast) and the next day I get a message on the truck "NO TRUCKS ALLOWED" turns out my place dont allow trucks. So... What did I do...
Sold the truck for $2600 and realized I had better find a 240sx because its the only old car worth a $@#)(* apparently. Plus I knew what I wanted now: A truck engine in my non-truck car. So I can start the thing and have everyone looking out their windows every morning for a 'truck' that shouldn't be there! hahaha....

Then I realized I would still need a cheap car to drive anyways if I am going to swap an LS into anything. My org. plan was buy 2 tacomas and swap 1 use the other for driving while I swap. But no trucks so... I picked up another corolla this time $1000 and its amazing. New tires, A/C, manual trans, 33-35mpg zomg its purrrrfect. And it will be worth 2k~ when I decide to sell of course.
So you see how I put away thousands of $$ just by accident trying to find the correct car to swap. If you are good mechanical nature, then you can do it. I cleaned the #@(*@# out of the engine bays and interiors to get that profits.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-16-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #18
glockmaster45

yea im not getting in to flipping cars again ive had 3 240sx 2 b13 sentra se-r 3 maximas im think im gonna do the lsx swap its the best bang for the buck I have my eyes on a lm7 with 67k that just had a rebuild done the guys wants $1300 I can prob get him down to 1k
Old 05-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

See that would raise a severe eyebrow. It sounds like a bad motor. Nobody would rebuild a perfectly good 67k engine without a serious problem. If you can't see that one from a mile away your project will dead end fast.

Local salvage yards delivery 5.3L Iron truck engines to the doorstep here in Florida for $500-$650, some with 112k, 89k, 105k, lots to choose from. And no shady ass "rebuilt" stuff. The whole point of using a cheap LS engine is to use a stock untouched LS engine. You don't EVER fuck with the bottom end. Ever. Unless you want to go no where.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #20
glockmaster45

yea I did some homework on this motor machine shop where the work was done and it does check out but I also hear what your saying about the junkyards prices and miles we will see i guess this guy was in the middle of a 280z build before his life went to shit
finding an engine is the easy part in my area the t56 is the issue even th400 getting harder to find local
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #21
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

engine trans is the cheap part. I used a 500 engine and a 600 trans. very easy to find 4l80e and 5.3L truck engines.

It isn't the expensive part. Good converter is $900. I wouldn't do the swap without an overdrive trans and a good converter. Otherwise there will be no economy. And I drive 200miles+ per week. I mean, some people just build the car, then don't drive it. Thats not for me. If you want my list of prices paid for swap parts PM me ur email and Ill send you detailed list of every penny I spent so you can see the costs.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
glockmaster45

im gonna pm you right now cause I do have some questions