Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Rennsport: The German Car thread

Time for some Großdeutsche Lösung (Greater German Solution).

This is the all German thread, not just the Ultimative Auffahrt Automat thread.

Introduction:

Maybe some of you have noticed, maybe some have not, but right now there seems to be a slew of bargain priced 15-20 year old German cars out there. These once expensive luxury performance monsters are now trading for the price of a clean S14.

Yes, to the average consumer, there is much to fear regarding reliability. But for those of us who are used to rebuilding SRs, wiring up 2JZs, dealign with mystical triangles of death (rotaries) and fabbing crap to install a 5.3 Turbo junkyard motor, there really is nothing to fear.

By now, most of the problems these cars have are well documented. There are now proven procedures on how to identify, repair and avoid the issues. Many European cars suffer from failed window regulators, aged timing belts, coil-pack issues, plastic impeller water pumps and other easily remedied failures. While for a "normal" person, a failed water pump would mean thousands in dealership repair costs, most of us can fix it in an afternoon with a $50 ebay part using a steal impeller.

So with that let the German-Fest Begin.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Corbic
Post Whore!

B5 S4

Fuck yo WRX.

Anymore you can get a B5 S4 for well under 10k. A friend picked up a black/black S4 with records and a 6spd for $6,500. Craigslist specials pop up with automatics for under $5k.

Factory 265hp, 300 ft/tq and a bulletproof 6spd.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Oh snap. R.I.P. BMW thread. This gon be good. So... I like 944's. Am I crazy?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Oh snap. R.I.P. BMW thread. This gon be good. So... I like 944's. Am I crazy?
Hell no. Back in HS I wanted a 944 bad.

There is tons of info out there about LS1 swaps to really beaf up the power.

928 - Might not be the best looking car... but that noise. Amazing GT cars with Amazing interiors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQxdupoALME
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Corbic
Post Whore!

Rennsport: The German Car thread

Some shots from the Luftwaffe

Last edited by Corbic; 11-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: fix
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AFSil80 Send a message via MSN to AFSil80
I predict a rise in 944/928 prices in the near future...they may not spike like the 964 Turbos have in the last year (and the other 911's) but I imagine them following that price hike trend.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
DreamN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
DreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfectionDreamN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
B5 S4s is such a bargain right now. Even B6 S4s are priced really well right now.

Always loved the 944 body. Very cool indeed. Another Porsche I've been looking at lately has been the 996. Was never a huge fan of the styling, but the 02-05 models have grown on me quite a bit. Plus you can find some really well kept C2s for low to mid teens.

Wanted:

TBD

For Sale:
TBD
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

AFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enoughAFSil80 will become famous soon enough
^ 996s seem to be the only 911 series Porsche that's not moving in price. You can find decent mileage Turbos in the mid 30's.

The issues I've seen with the S4's is the turbos. If they haven't been replaced, that seems to be what is dictating the lower priced examples.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
B5 S4S ARE SWEET GUYS.

Until you actually have to fucking work on them or when a turbo goes. Fuck. That.
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
It's only like 28 hours book time, right?

lol
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade_ewok View Post
B5 S4S ARE SWEET GUYS.

Until you actually have to fucking work on them or when a turbo goes. Fuck. That.
It's actually not that bad. You just need to know HOW to do it. The whole front comes off and everything becomes fairly accessible. Sure it takes some extra time compared to a I4, but it's still better than a 3000GT or 300ZX.

With European cars, patients is a very important virtue.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
I've looked at B5 S4's monthly for no joke 7 years, Very rarely have i ever seen "the combo" that it would take for me to actually pull the trigger. I would absolutely LOVE a Stage 3 + S4 Avant. But i don't know if i could actually buy one do to what Renegade_ewok said, because he is right. those cars suck to work on, which is why the VR6-T swap is becoming more and more popular.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
^ 996s seem to be the only 911 series Porsche that's not moving in price. You can find decent mileage Turbos in the mid 30's.

The issues I've seen with the S4's is the turbos. If they haven't been replaced, that seems to be what is dictating the lower priced examples.
A "Decent" 996TT is still in the 40's if not the 50's. Yes, cars can be had for high 30's.

Cats are the big bad guy on the S4, they go, they take out the turbos... and yeah..

Perfect time to upgrade the turbos and delete the cats.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
I've looked at B5 S4's monthly for no joke 7 years, Very rarely have i ever seen "the combo" that it would take for me to actually pull the trigger. I would absolutely LOVE a Stage 3 + S4 Avant. But i don't know if i could actually buy one do to what Renegade_ewok said, because he is right. those cars suck to work on, which is why the VR6-T swap is becoming more and more popular.
VR6 is also a beast. Junkyard motors are only a few hundred bucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFf0EnxyfIU

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
It's only like 28 hours book time, right?

lol
Not even a weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2MJJybgcA
Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
My new lust is the BMW 135I (N54 engine) Such an awesome setup. 3Liter Inline 6 twin turbo making 300HP/300TQ in a 3400lbs 2 door coupe, Yes please, Not to mention they can be found pretty much all day for under $20,000 For a car ranging from 2008-2010. Sure it's not your $7,000 S-Chassis but i want one.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
AFSil80
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
It's actually not that bad. You just need to know HOW to do it. The whole front comes off and everything becomes fairly accessible. Sure it takes some extra time compared to a I4, but it's still better than a 3000GT or 300ZX.

With European cars, patients is a very important virtue.
Ugh, bringing back bad memories of VR-4 clutch jobs from Hell.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #18
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
That Imola Yellow though....
Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSil80 View Post
I predict a rise in 944/928 prices in the near future...they may not spike like the 964 Turbos have in the last year (and the other 911's) but I imagine them following that price hike trend.
Also the prices of the 968s are taking off.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Corbic
Post Whore!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #21
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^
Dayum. I had no idea 968 could look so hot. Now I don't have to worry about getting rid of the 944's pop-ups while still keeping those muscular fenders. Something about the idea of having an FR Porsche just makes me hot. But I'll never be a fan of LSx swaps. A Subaru boxer in a Porsche just makes more sense to me.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
simmode1
Post Whore!

Wait soooo... They make bolt-on hard tops for the 986 Boxster that resemble the Cayman!?!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^
Dayum. I had no idea 968 could look so hot. Now I don't have to worry about getting rid of the 944's pop-ups while still keeping those muscular fenders. Something about the idea of having an FR Porsche just makes me hot. But I'll never be a fan of LSx swaps. A Subaru boxer in a Porsche just makes more sense to me.
944 is an Inline-4. Subaru Boxers suck balls.

Some Audi 20v love.

I think a 4.2 swap would be awesome as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ckTGquE_w
Old 11-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #24
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Wait soooo... They make bolt-on hard tops for the 986 Boxster that resemble the Cayman!?!
Zientop made the original and went out of business. Several companies are now making their own versions. They cost $3-4k.

Another prototype.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-r...prototype.html

Factory Hardtop

Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #25
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
B5 S4s are cool and all but the ones you're going to find for 6500 are already beat to piss by some kid who couldnt afford to keep up on maintenance on the poor thing. Not to mention the syncro issues those transmissions always develop. I would love to rock a B6 S4 as a daily if the 4.2s didnt eat timing chain guides and it didnt cost less to swap in a 2.7tt than to do a timing repair.

Anyways, I enjoy my MK6 Golf R for what it is.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
simmode1
Post Whore!

Any idea on how the 986 responds to forced induction? Dat bish needs moar powa!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #27
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i bought my b7 a4 about a month ago and i love it....but now im see those b5s and...wow beautiful

the 2 ltr turbo is real easy/fun to work on, even for a novice like myself
every car model has "common issues" but german cars have funky issues
its common on b7 a4s for the HPFP to drill right threw the cam follower causing damage to the camshaft lobe
but not to fear, its super easy to replace the cam follower, so doing that every 50k miles as a precation is smart

its also common on the e90 (and other bmw models i hear) for water to leak into the cabin under the dash onto the carpet.. that was weird the first time that happened haha

GERMAN ENGINEERING

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #28
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The car i regret getting rid of. 85 euro spec 190e 2.3 16v... These cars came to the US for 86-87 only.. don't know how the 85 i had became stateside, but it was a true euro spec (minor differences that 190e fans could tell, center console, rear seats, lack of third brake light etc).

Old 11-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #29
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
btw, the best era of DTM =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-AxiVqihM
Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #30
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I had a grey market 85 323i that someone ordered as a fully stripped model (manual rack, no passenger mirror, crank windows/sunroof) except that brilliant guy got the european Recaro LS factory seats (not the sports seats available in the US).

It was pretty dope but pretty useless lol

e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote