Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
potato
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
potato is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Going to helicoil my block but worried about shavings

I installed ss turbo lines however they were leaking so I pulled everything off and used copper washers this time. When putting everything back, I noticed the oil feed in the block was somehow stripped now. After doing some searching it seems helicoil is my best bet (since im sure ill be upgrading turbo at some point). The only thing I worry about is getting shavings inside the block. What can I do to avoid this as much as possible and if its unavoidable, what can I do to get them out? Does the hole simply dump everything in the oil pan where my magnetic drain bolt will catch it along with the oil filter?

potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
The block is aluminum, a magnetic oil drain plug won't help you. lol Maybe tap with a thick grease? Or go slowly and use a vacuum cleaner with a tiny fitting to suck the shavings out as you go.
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You dont even have to helicoil it man. Same thing happened to me and all i did was retap the threads and replaced the banjo bolt with an AN fitting. I used a lot of grease on the tap to catch the shavings and only did like two turns then backed the tap out, cleaned the grease off and put more grease on. Repeated that process.
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Javi802
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Javi802 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
And if you want to be more safe, just unplug the cas and crank the engine over a few times while the line isnt connected. Yeah oil will spew out, but id think it would push any left over shavings out.
Javi802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
potato
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
The block is aluminum, a magnetic oil drain plug won't help you. lol Maybe tap with a thick grease? Or go slowly and use a vacuum cleaner with a tiny fitting to suck the shavings out as you go.
duh, im dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
You dont even have to helicoil it man. Same thing happened to me and all i did was retap the threads and replaced the banjo bolt with an AN fitting. I used a lot of grease on the tap to catch the shavings and only did like two turns then backed the tap out, cleaned the grease off and put more grease on. Repeated that process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi802 View Post
And if you want to be more safe, just unplug the cas and crank the engine over a few times while the line isnt connected. Yeah oil will spew out, but id think it would push any left over shavings out.

I've read retapping it works however next time I remove it I'll just run into the same issue. Maybe I'll do that for now and worry about the rest later haha. Rerunning the same banjo bolt would be easier for me, but I guess I could alter my existing line to work with an AN fitting. Do you know what size AN fitting you used?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Follow this thread

http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-strip...t-t443899.html

Javi sounds like it worked for him. I actually have the same exact problem and I will be doing the same thing.

Potato what do you mean you might have the same problem again? If you change it to An fittings then you would just disconnect it from the other side. Why would you ever need to touch the block side of the oil feed ever again?

I would just advise you to do as I am doing and double check with the vendors who sell the ss turbo lines (what you have to use when you use an fittings) and ask what size it is. Some turbo lines are -3an and some are -4an. this will make a difference in what size adapter you buy. I will fix my shit after finals are over
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #7
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Once going AN you won't have the issue again
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
potato
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Follow this thread

http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-strip...t-t443899.html

Javi sounds like it worked for him. I actually have the same exact problem and I will be doing the same thing.

Potato what do you mean you might have the same problem again? If you change it to An fittings then you would just disconnect it from the other side. Why would you ever need to touch the block side of the oil feed ever again?

I would just advise you to do as I am doing and double check with the vendors who sell the ss turbo lines (what you have to use when you use an fittings) and ask what size it is. Some turbo lines are -3an and some are -4an. this will make a difference in what size adapter you buy. I will fix my shit after finals are over
I meant tapping and still running the oem banjo but having to remove it again in the future. I'll look into the AN fitting to see what I can do.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #9
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I thought you needed a hole that bottoms out to helicoil it?

Attempting to rethread it the same size would be risky and fultile IMO.

If it were me I would tap it the next size up in AN too. No new info here, just a third-forth concurring opinion
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I did this years ago on a redtop.

Drill a nice straight hole. Helicoil.

Let some oil push out whatevers inside. vacuum cleaner would be nice but I didnt.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
potato
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I did this years ago on a redtop.

Drill a nice straight hole. Helicoil.

Let some oil push out whatevers inside. vacuum cleaner would be nice but I didnt.
assuming you did this with the engine in the car, did you just eye it or use a level?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
I would definitely use heavy grease, cut the threads slowly and clean the tap and re-apply grease often.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
potato
Leaky Injector

hydraulic grease should be fine right? we have a ton at work we grease machines with
Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #14
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I was thinking about it too but its just for peace of mind to go into An fittings

Most turbo SS lines come with the proper restrictor ( banjo bolt act as a restrictor)
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote