Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
PBM v1 S13 ruca/coilover rubbing

I have the S13 PBM v1 adjustable rear arms and their coilovers, but I'm having problems with the S13 ruca and coilover rubbing on each other..

I put 18x10.5 on stock body with 245/35 and cranked camber quite alot.. I'm also quite low:

this is the only decent pic I have of my ride height and camber from behind..

anyways, the coilover collars are rubbing on the middle arch of the ruca.. is this a common problem with the v1 PBM rucas?
I can't take any pictures of this because when I lift the car, it doesn't touch, but when the suspension compresses, it touches.

I have the arch facing toward the front of the car.
I tried several different mounting methods and even swapped sides to see if I had em backwards and that was not the problem.

if I flipped them upside down with arches facing forward, it would bottom out on the frame. If I made arches face the rear of the car, it wouldn't clear at all..

I can see that if I didn't have as much camber, that I'd be able to get away with clearing the coilover, but then there would've been no point of me getting the entire rear adjustable arms!

Please let me know...
babowc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (79)
DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
no its not a common problem to have issues clearing our coilovers with our v1 ruca. You do seem to have excessive camber which is bad for your tire wear and needs to be corrected just because of that. Looks like you could use a quarter panel roll/pull so you dont need extreme camber to fit the 10.5J and like you said yourself you would clear the coilover with less camber.

I've got a decent amount of body work on my car just to fit 18x10+18 with -1 degree camber

what is your offset and camber?
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Order Inquiry: IM me your real name and paypal address.
Thanks for your business!
DC Dan MAX USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
So I can't run -4 camber on PBM v1 rucas?..
Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
babowc
Post Whore!

rpf1s are 18x10.5 +15 and camber was around -4 from what I remember being told by my alignment shop.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

DC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond reputeDC Dan MAX USA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tang View Post
-4 is what you get when you lower the car on OEM arms. the aftermarket arms were made with correcting that problem in mind.
How To order: You can order directly from our zilvia advertiser threads. When you add to cart, you get an instant shipping estimate, & the cart will remember all of your items as you move between forum threads and our website www.poweredbymax.net until you remove them or check out. I can also calculate estimates manually for you but the cart's estimates are way faster and more accurate.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
babowc
Post Whore!

Here are the pics anyways..
although RUCAs are designed with correcting excess camber, many still run excessive camber to fit big wheels with -offsets under stock or even widebody.

I don't see why it would still touch the coilover.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
babowc
Post Whore!

with nearly 120 hits, I'm surprised noone chimed in yet.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
95Gstman
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (10)
95Gstman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sorry I can't really help you with your problems as I am not running aftermarket arms on the rear suspension, but I was wondering if we could get some more pics of your car. The fitment looks nice. Also as a side note, you should have no problem running -4 of camber. I am not saying that I suggest it, but there are many people who run that much if not more and do not experience the problems you are having. I would suggestion calling PBM seeing as how you have there RUCA's and coilovers. They should be able to help you out.
95Gstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
hopefully dan and OP will be able to solve this problem.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
babowc
Post Whore!

thanks for the compliment..
car looks like shit in the front right now..
I did a bad job of pulling the front fenders and it turned out ugly. Along with many dings and dents all over the car, haha.

I'll get ya some pictures of it later though.

yeah I don't see why it should rub even with excess camber.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
I can see that if I didn't have as much camber, that I'd be able to get away with clearing the coilover, but then there would've been no point of me getting the entire rear adjustable arms!
Quote:
Quote:
I don't see why it would still touch the coilover.
Quote:
I don't see why it should rub even with excess camber.
I know you dont see why the old ruca cant do -4 camber but that does not change the fact that they just dont. You also appear unwilling to correct your camber so the only other option seems to be try a new set of arms.

Our V3 ruca has much more clearance around the coilover because we designed them with consideration of compatibility with other brands of coilovers. I have a set of unpainted arms here you could try for free if you want.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
babowc
Post Whore!

Hey Dan..
this is the picture of assembled subframe when I had it out.
I compared it to V3 rucas and like you said, there is a big difference in design.

btw, this picture is when I didn't have the arms adjusted correctly at the threaded parts.

i'll pm you about the unpainted arms.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
babowc
Post Whore!

here's another one showing straight down.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
DC Dan MAX USA
Zilvia.net Advertiser

They are on the way
Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
brian m
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
brian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This makes me kinda mad now. When the V1 first came out I told my bro to buy them to try them out. We installed them and they rubbed the spindle and coilover. I was told to take pictures and to email them. They told me there was nothing they could do.

Now they are on V3 to fix all the issues and there isn't even a discount for those who bought the V1, but w00tang gets a free upgrade? Damn.....

This was on a S13 with Tein HE coils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
god...... some of you guys suck some serious testicallage
brian m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
babowc
Post Whore!

Only difference between me and you would be that I'm running their entire rear suspension + coilovers and it's still rubbing.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
brian m
Zilvia Member

brian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond reputebrian m has a reputation beyond repute
Even so...the reason they even have newer versions is because they know there were issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
The second generation of our super low ride height camber arm makes its debut and is in stock now at Parts Shop MAX USA!!!
There is a small price increase of $20 over the first generation arm making this one $200/pair.
The new MAX RUCA still features the same angled adjuster tube to clear the chassis but the similarities to gen. 1 end there.

List of improvements:

3. The new RUCA now has a larger radius uniform continuous bend throughout the arm for increased strength and even stress distribution. The larger radius makes this gen II arm compatible with more brands of coilovers on all s-chassis cars. We had to make a 90 degree notch in the tube where it connects to the bracket to accomplish this.
4. The bracket length is increased to prevent the inside of the bracket from contacting the rear knuckle during suspension travel on extra low cars.

5. The length of the tube was increased to maintain more thread contact inside the adjuster for super low cars maintaining around 1 degree of negative camber.

6. There is an arched up sweep in the arm relative to the bracket and adjuster. This provides plenty of additional clearance between the arm and the axle boot which used to rub a little on extremely low cars with the gen 1 RUCA.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
you're an idiot brian m

let me go to best buy and tell them i demand they give me a new version of my laptop because now mine is outdated
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
brian m
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
you're an idiot brian m

let me go to best buy and tell them i demand they give me a new version of my laptop because now mine is outdated

Good job on the name calling.

All I'm saying is they are going to give him a set and I just wanted a discount (read: repeat customer). That's what another reputable shop does to keep their customers happy.

Quote:
Our V3 ruca has much more clearance around the coilover because we designed them with consideration of compatibility with other brands of coilovers. I have a set of unpainted arms here you could try for free if you want.
Oh and by the way...the V1 isn't getting replaced because it's outdated, it's because it had flaws, which should have been seen or caught before the product went to market. It's the hardest part of product fabrication, especially if the part is advertised to work on S13, S14, S15. The fabricators can't foresee the different combo's that a customer is going to use or if the end product is being used as intended (to make camber adjustments either back to zero, or just to have the adjustability).

Let me know if Best Buy can replace a defective product...not an outdated one.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
I still have V1's on my car. Had problems with the rubbing/ being really close to coilover. One even bent on me and one broke from hitting a pothole right before driving over a concrete bridge. Now im on Koni yellow rears which are pretty skinny and haven't had any problems rubbing or bending/breaking.
The one broke because it was the hollow sperical bearing end with the threads, now they have it all solid in V3 along with a design for more clearance.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #21
lflkajfj12123

lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
the product isn't defective it works perfectly fine within its limitations

the older design just can't do what the new design can

making it an OUTDATED product

pbm is NOT entitled to giving you a discount and doesn't need to do so to keep their business running

its 200 dollars for a new arm stopping being a little bitch and complaining to save a couple bucks

their arms are already priced cheap as hell for douche canoes like yourself
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #22
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
LoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow so, I wasnt the only one with rubbing issues (and craptastic welds) with the v1. We were basically told ''too bad so sad.''

Some moron from here said I installed them wrong. How you figure? I did it exactly like their photo and every which way I could to get them to clear.

boo hoo hoo, I cut my losses and went to Battle Version.
LoanShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
babowc
Post Whore!

That's why I made this thread..
I didn't know if anyone else had the same problems or not. Apparently many have had the same problems.

Regardless, Dan is sending me an unpainted ruca, I will install them and give ample review regarding the arm.

s0apgun, I already stated why I think it shouldn't rub, but I'll say it again.
I have entire PBM suspension setup and for me to have bought the entire setup for nearly $2000, I would expect it to at least perform without any problems.

-4 camber is not extreme, compared to what I've seen on Zilvia already.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

LoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Which is what? Shock/springs, kts, skinny coilovers? Whats it work with? Dude up there said they wouldnt work with Tein HE and those are ancient land before double ride height adjustable times. Those are the ''skinny shakochos.'' OP is havin trouble with the same brand coilovers as the arms. Exactly what is the limitation? They made a part that dont work and we bought it on faith.

What if auto makers never did recalls on faulty parts?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #25
babowc
Post Whore!

btw.. i don't see why you guys are getting so heated.

Dan is correcting the problem..
edit: for me, at least...

I brought this up because I'm using their entire setup and it's rubbing.
I would've understood if I had used a different brand coilover and it had rubbed, since it may have not been designed with other coilovers in mind.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
lflkajfj12123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoanShark View Post
Which is what? Shock/springs, kts, skinny coilovers? Whats it work with? Dude up there said they wouldnt work with Tein HE and those are ancient land before double ride height adjustable times. Those are the ''skinny shakochos.'' OP is havin trouble with the same brand coilovers as the arms. Exactly what is the limitation? They made a part that dont work and we bought it on faith.

What if auto makers never did recalls on faulty parts?
Quote:
-4 is what you get when you lower the car on OEM arms. the aftermarket arms were made with correcting that problem in mind.
Quote:
I know you dont see why the old ruca cant do -4 camber but that does not change the fact that they just dont. You also appear unwilling to correct your camber so the only other option seems to be try a new set of arms.

read ????????????????????????? make sense now???
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #27
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

Im not heated. Im vexed. Im vexed like a maaafugga.

I got the v1 toe arms though. No problems there. They're the beef. It'll take ages to bend those suckas.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
stpnov73

stpnov73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible that you are using an s14 ruca and not an s13? Most s13 rucas I've seen completely encircle the coilovers.
stpnov73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
brian m
Zilvia Member

Quote:

the older design just can't do what the new design can

making it an OUTDATED product
So what you are saying is that the product isn't defective because it was designed to rub on the spindle and coilover? At not even full compression without a coilover, the arm shouldn't be contacting the spindle. Maybe, just maybe, that is why the newer versions are out...to correct problems that came up, not to make some new revolutionary type of arm that isn't supposed to rub.

You are right about one thing, "the older design just can't do what the new design can", which is to correct the camber while moving freely in the intended range of motion, making it defective, not outdated. I'm chaulking it up to bad design, nothing more.

The product is priced right, Dan is a good guy, I am cheap...but don't like it when something doesn't work right in the first place and get told there's nothing to be done. In the mean time, they turn around after more complaints from more customers to offer a "new and improved version" which should've been the first version. We just did their R&D for them. I don't like to bash a product or anyone, but when w00tang came here and proved to the world that the arms rubbed even on their own coilover setup, they offer him a free set of arms. oh well...

sorry w00tang for cluttering up your thread. s0ap...what's up with the anger?
Quote:
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #30
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

Soap, you even have these? It dont matter what camber you run. You run -1, they still rub. You want -4 to fit wheels? You fucked, dun.

I had my car on a lift tryin to get them to fit. A ''lift'' is a step above jackstands. and guess what?

I'll tell you what. I contacted Alex. The end. Im just glad I wasnt the only one ''doing it wrong''