Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #31
nelshaun

Trader Rating: (0)
nelshaun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to nelshaun
google search

That is the reason why the reader should carefully understand the information they are reading.
nelshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Daniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Daniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Not what the places guys told me when they were trying to sell me on it.
Interesting, did they specifically identify what part of Google they were representing when they contacted you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

In regard to saying 'well do our competitors have a better option'...well no, they don't. But because they don't, doesn't mean the current way is 'the best way' as it isn't.
I wholeheartedly agree. Constant innovation and change is the only way to stay ahead of the curve and to continue to offer top notch products. The industry changes much too fast to get complacent.

Quote:
I got the same phone call for our shop as well. SHe then tried selling me on a website that they could create and how well it would work.

For the life of me, I couldn't get her off the phone until i hung up. We have a google places deal, and it works rather well for us. That's all we need.
Same question for you as for S14DB above.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #33
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel. View Post
Interesting, did they specifically identify what part of Google they were representing when they contacted you?
He was kind of evasive on that. When asked who he worked for he said "Google" What Dept? "Google"

When we got him to elaborate on what he was trying to sell. "Isn't Google free?" we got directed to Local and Places. We noticed our biz was listed under the incorrect category's in local. We were in Category's we didn't cover and not in our core category's. He said it was like the phone book and we could buy ads that would be placed when people searched for words related to our category's. Basically sponsored results.

We told him if they couldn't even get us listed on the free side correctly why would we pay them. He said he was only on the ad side but local could fix it and if we bought in he would have them fix it. We told him to fix it and get back to us. If they can get the free side correct maybe we would think about it. Hasn't called us back since.

I'll try and get his contact info for you when I have time to search for it at work.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #34
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Daniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfectionDaniel. is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
He was kind of evasive on that. When asked who he worked for he said "Google" What Dept? "Google"

When we got him to elaborate on what he was trying to sell. "Isn't Google free?" we got directed to Local and Places. We noticed our biz was listed under the incorrect category's in local. We were in Category's we didn't cover and not in our core category's. He said it was like the phone book and we could buy ads that would be placed when people searched for words related to our category's. Basically sponsored results.

We told him if they couldn't even get us listed on the free side correctly why would we pay them. He said he was only on the ad side but local could fix it and if we bought in he would have them fix it. We told him to fix it and get back to us. If they can get the free side correct maybe we would think about it. Hasn't called us back since.

I'll try and get his contact info for you when I have time to search for it at work.
Cool. So my statement stands, localized search results have no direct correlation to paid ads.

This doesn't excuse the fact that your business is incorrectly listed though. Purchasing paid sponsorship shouldn't be the determining factor on whether Google delivers correct/relevant results.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #35
thrax
Leaky Injector

thrax is an unknown quantity at this point
Google's been garbage for a while. Not just spam garbage but political propaganda and such. Its disturbing actually when you think of how many 'google scholars' there are out there. Google just like other "media" companies like magazines, tv networks, movie studios etc. have a political agenda and will favour the results to their views like traditional media does.
thrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #36
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrax View Post
Google's been garbage for a while. Not just spam garbage but political propaganda and such. Its disturbing actually when you think of how many 'google scholars' there are out there. Google just like other "media" companies like magazines, tv networks, movie studios etc. have a political agenda and will favour the results to their views like traditional media does.
I was wondering when the conspiracy theorists would join the thread.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #37
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I was wondering when the conspiracy theorists would join the thread.

yes everything we are told is true and the top hits on google always yield the most factual.
They are 'extra' factual when the topics are politics, war, foreign affairs....
Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #38
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Quote:
yes everything we are told is true and the top hits on google always yield the most factual.
They are 'extra' factual when the topics are politics, war, foreign affairs....
Google mission is organize the world's data, not tamper with it. Nice try though.

Kill the messenger moar plz?

Learn the difference between organizing content and producing content.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
You forget Daniel...

SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #40
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Google mission is organize the world's data, not tamper with it. Nice try though.

Learn the difference between organizing content and producing content.
I wasn't arguing the difference between organizing content and producing content. What you put on top and equally important what you don't put (or what you produce or DON"T produce in the other cases) can sway political thought. Sounds like you're the one who has a lot to learn. I suppose you can always google it.

Not saying not to use these 'tools' just don't believe everything you read off them. And wtf, somebody doesn't trust everything that's fed to them by mainstream thought or organized to them by a computer algorithm that you don't have access to (code) and they're a conspiracy theorist.

Last edited by thrax; 05-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: added word code, fixed a typo
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #41
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Quote:
I wasn't arguing the difference between organizing content and producing content. What you put on top and equally important what you don't put (or what you produce or DON"T produce in the other cases) can sway political thought. Sounds like you're the one who has a lot to learn. I suppose you can always google it.

Not saying not to use these 'tools' just don't believe everything you read off them. And wtf, somebody doesn't trust everything that's fed to them by mainstream thought or organized to them by a computer algorithm that you don't have access to (code) and they're a conspiracy theorist.
Cool story broseph.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #42
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
And wtf, somebody doesn't trust everything that's fed to them by mainstream thought or organized to them by a computer algorithm that you don't have access to (code) and they're a conspiracy theorist.
Yes.

revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #43
Daniel.
Post Whore!

You guys seriously think Google is subliminally trying to subvert the world's political leanings by compromising search results?

Hmm let's think about that for a second.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #44
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcyanide View Post
Yes.

Then i'll wear it like a badge of honor.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #45
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
You guys seriously think Google is subliminally trying to subvert the world's political leanings by compromising search results?

Hmm let's think about that for a second.
At the corporate level European companies have been suing google for such things already. Only way to know for sure is if they release their algorithm to the public which i doubt they'll do since its the core of their business. They've already done it on the political front during the Yugoslav wars.

Last edited by thrax; 05-05-2011 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: changed they're to their
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Facts/evidence?

Sounds like sensationalistic bull.

Edit: I'm talking about the Yugoslav wars.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #47
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
At the corporate level European companies have been suing google for such things already. Only way to know for sure is if they release their algorithm to the public which i doubt they'll do since its the core of their business. They've already done it on the political front during the Yugoslav wars.
The new tin foil hats must really work huh? I guess you could say the same about Libraries as well, being that they were often very localized and or regionalized in regard to books/etc etc? Then again if it's in print it must be the truth (right professor?).

Even 100 years ago when Yahoo was gray, Lycos was king, and Meta searching was new, people used to claim the same shit. The worst part about today's information world (to me) is the fact that people seem to question shit, just to question it. 'Thinking' about something doesn't make you any smarter/better than the rest, so drop the high horse/pretend wizard stuff.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
I never got any solid information this side of that they were from google, were looking at our google places account, and were trying to sell us on advertising/google website stuff in order for more exposure. Obviously I'm not sure the country of origin, but the lady on the phone had a heavy indian accent, and was very difficult to understand.

Combined with being busy, I got frustrated and had to tell her I wasn't interested 10 or so times. She wouldn't accept 'we don't need a website' for an answer until I hit the release button on the phone.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Facts/evidence?

Sounds like sensationalistic bull.

Edit: I'm talking about the Yugoslav wars.
All the results during the war years always had the MSM point of view but never the other side (Serb) when i use to use. Doesn't sound like the kind of 'organization' i want. I only mentioned it because on the PBS show Charlie Rose the host had mentioned that Sergei Brin (creator) supported the independence movements.
But like i said we'll never know for sure unless they release their computer code on what happens to get page rankings which they won't for corporate reasons, which is one of hundreds of reasons i don't use google or trust its organization of data. Which is why i still answer OP's question with a "yes".
Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #50
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
The new tin foil hats must really work huh? I guess you could say the same about Libraries as well, being that they were often very localized and or regionalized in regard to books/etc etc? Then again if it's in print it must be the truth (right professor?).

Even 100 years ago when Yahoo was gray, Lycos was king, and Meta searching was new, people used to claim the same shit. The worst part about today's information world (to me) is the fact that people seem to question shit, just to question it. 'Thinking' about something doesn't make you any smarter/better than the rest, so drop the high horse/pretend wizard stuff.
So i don't like one company because i don't trust it, no different than when someone doesn't trust mechanic they don't bring their car to it.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #51
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
So i don't like one company because i don't trust it, no different than when someone doesn't trust mechanic they don't bring their car to it.
NO
that would be like not trusting a car mechanic because you think they are selling ONLY monroe struts because their president is a communist and they are trying to fund their communist agenda.
you know seeing as how some of the struts they sell are RED

perfect logic.
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcyanide View Post
NO
that would be like not trusting a car mechanic because you think they are selling ONLY monroe struts because their president is a communist and they are trying to fund their communist agenda.
you know seeing as how some of the struts they sell are RED

perfect logic.
Not if the struts are red but if the president was a card carrying communist who fought with the reds against my general's army and the stuts have failed before and the struts we're not going to be installed properly i would not recommend.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #53
Daniel.
Post Whore!

All of this is heresay and speculation. Nothing concrete.

Let's turn this topic back towards known knowns, not known unknowns.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #54
thrax
Leaky Injector

Quote:
All of this is heresay and speculation. Nothing concrete.

Let's turn this topic back towards known knowns, not known unknowns.
Any up and coming search engines you know of? I don't like the product google based on usage in the past, other than Bing what else do you use?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #55
Daniel.
Post Whore!

Yahoo is the only other worthwhile search engine. I generally know what to look for and how to look for it in Google, as has been previously mentioned; so I don't have a problem with garbage results.

There are plenty of smaller startups trying to make a name for themselves with niche search engine products. There's one that's worth mentioning but I have to find the link for it. Will post about it when I get off of work.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #56
thrax
Leaky Injector

NO rush, don't want you to get fired for recreational (zilvia) surfing at work
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #57
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
I never got any solid information this side of that they were from google, were looking at our google places account, and were trying to sell us on advertising/google website stuff in order for more exposure. Obviously I'm not sure the country of origin, but the lady on the phone had a heavy indian accent, and was very difficult to understand.

Combined with being busy, I got frustrated and had to tell her I wasn't interested 10 or so times. She wouldn't accept 'we don't need a website' for an answer until I hit the release button on the phone.
Do you think it was some sort of scam?

You do bring up a good point though about manipulating searches though...often times by simplifying research results, it limits some better sites from even showing up. (If that makes any sense). Dumbing down search results to be more specific IMO is the wrong way to go.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #58
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
I'm not concerend over what places you like, I was simply pointing out that the 'censored search' stuff has been a battle cry of many forever. I'm not doubting that it's possible; I am doubting that it happens. You can still find a ton of deadly/dangerous information out there, just from a few clicks on google...if they were really censoring the results, do you think that would be even possible?

And in regard to 'news' results, what do you expect? I certainly wouldn't goto Yahoo Japan and expect to find current news from Belgium in it, much like I don't expect to see international based stuff show up in the first few results here.

With that said, Honestly, if I want to find internationally based stuff, I search via their outlets and or news sources. Much like I don't expect a Big Mac from Wendy's.