Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
bahlorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what else do I need to set up my s13 for autocross???

Hey guys, I'm trying to find out what all I may be missing to get this 240 set up for autocross.
So far this car has sr20 swap, gt2871r turbo, 550cc injectors at 18 psi, turbo back exhaust with enthalpy ecu. Suspension wise I have agx struts with swift springs, adjustable rear camber kit, adjustable toe arm, adjustable tension rods, just ordered front and rear sway bars, 5 lug swap, z32 brakes, j30 diff. My tires are currently shit but size wise they are 235/45/17 in the rear 225/45/17 front.
What would you suggest my next step be? I know I need tires. But I figure its best I learn the car on junk tires before upgrading. When changing my tires, should I stick with my current tire size or go with a different size? If I need a bigger size then I'll also need spacers since they currently barely rub the strut tower.
bahlorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Steve5405
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Steve5405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
im in the same boat as you. ive done basically the exact same mods. I talked to the people at my local autocrosses and they basically told me not to mod anything else the best mod is the driver. That i should just get more seat time. Im sure you are a much better driver than i am and it may not apply, but i figured id share
Steve5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

I've done it off and on for a few years. More off than on. And seat time is definitely the biggest mod. But only goes so far when there's 2 events a month lol. So the rest of the time I spend trying to improve my car when I'm not able to improve myself due to less events held. 5 runs an event seat time is hard to come by.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Steve5405
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Steve5405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i know how you feel. we only have one event a month.....
Steve5405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

Yeah that sucks a bit.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Funny, I just bought a 240sx to track it as well and it came with pretty much the exact same mods you just listed. One thing I ordered is solid steering bushing and solid subframe bushings giving you much greater precision and feedback on the track. Changing all the other bushings in the suspension/direction is not a bad idea either considering how old they are.

On more thing I ordered is toe plates and a camber/caster gauge. This way I will be able to quickly make my own suspension adjustments. Other then that and a car in proper running condition, it's all driver.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

Ah yeah that's a good idea thanks man. I hope to get the car aligned and corner balanced shortly. After that I doubt I'll be messing with the alignment any myself. But now I'll definitely be looking into some solid bushings.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
If I had to make a few suggestions, I would suggest height/damping adjustable coilovers and a better differential. Don't get me wrong though, what you right have now is perfectly fine and you have the right idea with seat time. Truthfully, I always suggest to my friends to first start learning more about their cars while it's stock but it looks like you've gone ahead of that.

But let's say down the road, you want to go into road racing/TA or become more competitive in auto-x, your springs/shocks are going to hold you back and if your VLSD (isn't worn out now, it will soon) is going to hold you back.
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

What kind of diff would you suggest?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I wouldn't even worry about it right now.

Tires are the next thing you should buy. Then lots of seat time and upgrades as you see fit from there.
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I would suggest a 1.5 or 2 way differential. A quality one. Like the bnib Kaaz 2way I have for sale....... Lmk lol
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
bahlorm
Leaky Injector

Looks like everything is put on hold. Did the first autocross of the season and of course the car wouldn't rev past 5k rpm, and my brake master cylinder had a small leak. It worked before, only thing changed was I put a new air filter on it, and put a breather on the hose coming off the T from the valve cover. That was plugged up but I was told it was causing blow by.