Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #31
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Great build already! Looking forwards to updates.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #32
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Deezal is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks gents, I got an adapter made to go over the input shaft and slide into the back of the crankshaft. That allowed us to center the trans/motor and then dowel the trans to set it at the angle we wanted. From there it was as simple as deciding what bolt holes we could use and drilling everything to suit.

Also modified the bell housing to accomodate the starter drive gear in the standard SR location.

Deezal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 AM   #33
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Made a start on the shrouds for the intercoolers and radiator, Radiator one still needs a little bit of modifying and then make some mounts for the radiator itself. Hopefully get that done this weekend.

Also got the seat and mounts well on the way for mounting the harness through them, had to widen and strengthen the top a bit for piece of mind and to get the belts at the right width apart.

Shipment also showed up finally, the moment of truth was getting the inlet manifold in position and confirming my fears that it will need some modification to clear the firewall. Will shorten the plenum and the Q45 TB a little so we can get enough room to fit a 3.5" bend infront and line everything up.

Also won't be able to fit the dry sump tank where I'd originally planned but I've found a solution just unfortunately means I'll have to route the lines back and forth across the firewall.

At least Ryan Tuerck can just pay somebody else to do it all for him.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #34
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Why not flip the plenum and having the plumbing come from the "backside" of the motor? It would be pretty simple seeing as the plenum is just a "cap" so to speak. This would save you from having to hack it up.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #35
Deezal
Leaky Injector

That was my original plan but I still have to fit the exhaust down that side and I don't really want to be running the inlet piping and exhaust one on top of the other, plus I also start to get limited by the bodywork and intercooler piping as I've got the two sidemounts in parallel which means we make the already "long" piping another meter and a half longer.

Don't mean to cry ya down, it is something we'd seriously considered.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #36
hobbs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (43)
hobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the roughhobbs is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Have you guys considered using a air to water intercooler setup? Would save you considerable length of intercooler piping and AN lines are a whole lot easier to run than aluminum pipe.
hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #37
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Yes that was what I originally planned to do but from the research I'd done there wasn't much positive feedback for a water to air intercooler after 15 mins of flat out driving, the general consensus was it gets too much heat soak and your IAT's will be hotter as a result. A seperate 300x300 radiator was going to be limited in what it could do.

Would have been a lot less work though.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #38
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You worried about the Audi trans holding up to that much torque? Seems they're a little iffy over 300 tq to the wheels.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #39
Deezal
Leaky Injector

The fwd transmissions are stronger than the quattro ones as they've got solid shafts in them, not hollow like the quattro and mine has a cryo treated main shaft plus the later model wide 1st gear so in theory it should be alright. I doubt I'll see anything over 400LB-FT at the wheels anyway.

Just picked up a few more bits and pieces tonight so should have another update in a day or 2.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #40
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Got the seat finished, just need the mount in the floor now for the crotch belt. Door cards, internal door releases and door close straps are all done now also. Plenum and IC pipes are also welded up and I've started to give them a bit of a polish up. Dry sump tank and breather tank are also bolted up, now just need to weld some mounts onto the chassis to bolt the backing plate too and give the coolers a flush. Also got the drivers side radiator pipe bent to suit so that will run through the suspension out to the radiator.

Dad drew the flywheel up last week and I've just ordered the ecu and fuel pumps etc so that's another few things ticked off the hit list. For the sake of simplicity and fuel volume now though I think I'll have to run a traditional fuel cell in the passengers side of the car instead of trying to run a passengers seat and get a custom alloy tank made to fit behind the seats and seal that off.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #41
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Progress has been a bit slow, the old saying of two steps forward one step back definitely rings true. Turbo, BOV and FPR showed up courtesy of Rapid last week but as suspected it sits too high to fit under the chassis so now I'm looking into getting a custom "top mount" twin scroll manifold to drop the turbo down to where I'd like it. In the process of working out how much room we've got I realised the alternator doesn't fit so now I'll have to make an adapter to move the relocation bracket up 30mm to allow the alternator to clear the chassis rail.

Thanks to Anthony from Ralston Sheetmetal I've got most of the IC piping in and polished up again, obviously can't finish that untill we have the final location of the turbo.

Got the reservoirs for the shocks mounted up, fuel pump brackets have many uses. Rear view camera also showed up so got the screen mounted on the dash.

Felt like a kid at Christmas the last few days, flywheel is now finished and ready to be sent off to get balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly. G4 storm, coils, fuel pumps, surge tank, breather bottle, fuel cell, radiator pipes etc have all shown up aswell as the radiator duct and the intake cowling so I've got plenty to do for the next few weeks.

Flywheel is only 7.8kg (17lbs) which isn't bad at all given how deep it is to get the twin plate clutch to fit on the spline of the input shaft.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:25 AM   #42
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Got a bit more done lately, the intake scoop on the rear cowling and the radiator vent and deflector on the front so now she should be able to breathe.

Also made a start on the exhaust manifold, will have to modify the motor mount slightly to get clearance on cylinder no#2 otherwise it should tidy up okay given how limited we are for space.

Also had the clutch and a few other parts show up as well as the slicks, the wheels should be underway courtesy of 41 degree wheels either this week or next.

Doesn't look like it'll be ready for the December meeting like I'd hoped but we'll have plenty of time to get it ready to rock for Speedfest in February.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for a pre Bathurst update. Got the manifold as good as finished, just need to plumb up the wastegate. As a result I've got the piping sorted out to go to the pod filter and will be finishing off the intercooler piping up to the turbo in the coming days.

The last of my parts have also arrived from the states, M300 custom axles to go between the subaru hubs and audi trans aswell as the cable shift setup, the mounting brackets for the trans took a little modification but got pretty good feel with the shifter now.

Also got most of the radiator piping sorted out and a custom reservoir all cut up and ready to get welded.

Wing uprights have been galved and painted and will have most of the bodywork around to Dean Howden to get tidied up in the next week or two.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #43
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
This is very interesting. Thanks for posting here!
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:45 AM   #44
Deezal
Leaky Injector

My pleasure, glad people are finding it interesting.

About time for another update, I'd been holding off till I got a few other items finished but as is always the way with builds of this nature, something always slows ya down.

Huge thanks to Dean Howden for getting the first half of the car painted, now it's just a case of getting the remainder of the car finished and dropping it off in the new year to get tidied up.

Courtesy of Limitless motorsport my new precision wastegate and plazmaclamp have also showed up which enabled me to finish off the intercooler piping. We're in the midst of finishing off the exhaust manifold but given the space constraints and size of the wastegate it's taking some time to get it right.

I've also mocked up the enclosure for the fuel cell which Ralston's are fabricating for me at the moment and opted to move the surge tank and fuel pumps to the engine bay and leave the lift pump in the enclosure with the fuel cell.

Gary from Probuilt Engines has also finished setting up the bottom end for me and between Dad and I have started assembling the remainder of the motor. Hope to have it finished in the next week or so depending on what takes priority.

Another job I've started on is mocking up the switch panel for the car and mounting the ecu, saving the wiring till last as I'm dreading it a little. Got the fuel, oil and vacuum lines all planned out.

Replaced the old rubber brake lines with new braided ones and greased and assembled the hubs/wheel bearings.

Another big thanks to The Driveshaft Shop, after my custom axles showing up from the states and finding they'd stuffed up the lengths, they got another one landed in Invercargill in a couple of weeks and now everything fits a treat.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #45
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Finally got the exhaust manifold finished off, the precision 66mm gate proved to be difficult to find space for but still a lot easier than 2 38's.
Started plumbing up the fuel and oil system, got the coils in and mounted up. Welded tags on to mount the dry sump tank and breather.
Also got the motor 90℅ together, still need a few bits and pieces to finish it off. All going well I hope to have it in the car this coming weekend and get the clutch and trans setup.
The first of the wheels showed up from 41 degrees just to check the measurements before it gets tidied up and the rest are made to suit.
Slowly getting closer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found that the clutch won't fit in the trans as it hits the housing for the diff so will hopefully get the flywheel machined down 5mm during the week so everything fits like it should as we had the first clutch plate approx 5mm onto the input shaft anyway.

Decided to slap the trans on anyway and get everything in the car for the first time. Huge thanks to Anthony from Ralston sheetmetal for getting the intercooler and water piping welded up for me, only a few things left to tidy up. Then it's just a case of flushing it all out and clamping it down.
Got the fuel feed and return lines from the fuel rail done aswell so half the fuel system is plumbed up.

Dash and switch panel are now vinyl wrapped black which made a huge difference, got the boost controller mounted and tabs welded on to mount the switch panel. Just a case of painting and drilling it out to suit now. Another job done was getting the conduits in and mounted for running the wiring, vacuum lines and throttle cable through to the engine bay. Also got an extra bit of box section welded in the passenger's side to give me more fixing points for when the fuel cell goes in there next weekend hopefully.

Notched the chassis rail to get enough clearance for the alternator to fit, and modified the P10 throttle pedal to make it a floor mount so it sits nicely next to the wilwood pedal box.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #46
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Really happy to see you keep us in the loop here at Zilvia! I enjoy watching this build
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #47
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks, with a bit of luck I may even have it running before Christmas.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:08 AM   #48
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Just noticed it's 4 lug too
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #49
derek king
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
derek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enoughderek king will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
was that an F430 engine sitting in the garage?
Old 12-04-2016, 02:09 AM   #50
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Yeah I was skeptical about keeping it 4 stud, it made no difference to the wheel selection as buying 16x10 and 16x11 wheels I had no choice but to get custom 3 piece wheels anyway. The cars were originally setup with datsun front hubs when the first one was built in the late 80's and hasn't been changed since so they're 4x114.3. It will end up with 2 piece rotors etc later on, came with the evo 6 Brembo's on it so I'm just going to see how it goes with them for a start and work out from there what is the best solution moving forward.

The engine in the background is out of a 575M, the guy I bought it off intended on using that in the car but for racing purposes I couldn't even contemplate the thought of maintaining it and the space constraints involved in fitting it. He basically threw it in as he was sick of it sitting around his garage, been trying to sell it for a few months now as the VE has costed a hell of a lot more than what I'll get for the V12.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 AM   #51
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
How much do those 575M engines go for anywho??
Old 12-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #52
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Roughly 10-14k USD on most of the European wreckers websites. The ones on eBay are overpriced.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #53
Deezal
Leaky Injector

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KOCTHQ96PQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi everybody, long time between updates but it's not due to getting nothing done.

Weight as pictured was 880kg with 20L of gas in it.

Fuel and oil system's are finished.

Wiring is as good as done, all the essential things are finished. Except for possibly needing to reroute the cas wiring.

You'll see from the boost curve it appears to be a combination of exhaust runners being too large for the length and wastegate being too big as the boost curve follows the HP.

Going back to the cas wiring, the car wouldn't cleanly rev past about 7000rpm on the dyno. Believe it's an interference issue at this stage. Tried earthing out the screen at the cas end directly to the block but it didn't fix the issue.

That's approx 700hp at the flywheel

Last edited by Deezal; 01-28-2017 at 04:38 PM..
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #54
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
holy moly, you dont waste any time! this build came together surprisingly quick. really impressive!
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #55
hvp014
Leaky Injector

hvp014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Amazing build! Can't wait to see it on the track!
hvp014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #56
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

For running so much boost a small 38mm wastegate should work just fine.

What size gate did you go with?? Also, at 700HP, the larger runners should not have such a drastic affect on spoolup.

Other things may be a play here as well. Not sure if only the gate is the issue here, especially since you have having issues with the CAS. If you have timing drift due to incorrect readings from the CAS, that could affect your cam phasing which could very well be negatively impacting spool.

I would get that sorted first (since it may very be the cheapest way) and go from there.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #57
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Thanks guys, that's why there hasn't been any updates as such. Been too busy getting stuff done, been roughly 30-40 hours a week after work for the last 6-8 weeks.

I know you'll tell me it's too big, running a 66mm precision gate but have tried running it at the track with it free boosting and it made no difference, was pulling 25psi at 5500rpm. Checked with the company who supplied the turbo today and they made a manifold using the same size runners for somebody else using the same turbo. Design isn't ideal as we were space limited but it's a damn sight better than a log. Wastegate loses like 20-30% of its area with the two pipes merging into the wastegate. Typical twin scroll setup is 2 38's and I've ended up with similar area to that.

Tried rerouting the cas out the passengers window and removing it from the engine loom and it made no difference. Next test will be to try extra earths off the coils to the block. The cas itself is brand new from nissan and has a pretty good fit in the back of the cam. Getting it back from the body shop tomorrow and will get the side windows in and tidy up a few things and go from there. Long weekend for me so will try and hire the track for all 3 days. Running 16VE cams they might have too much overlap which may also be causing issues with exhaust flow in the mid range.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #58
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
holy hell!! Now this is a frigging badass project
Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #59
WPN-X7
Leaky Injector

WPN-X7 is an unknown quantity at this point
450 odd kw atw in a car that weighs sun 1000kgg would be ridiculous.

keen to see some shakedown/incar footage of this thing when its all 100%
WPN-X7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #60
Deezal
Leaky Injector

Cheers, I think it will just tip 1000kg with all the bodywork on it and me in it.

First race meeting is in 2 1/2 weeks so all going well I'll have some footage for ya after that.