Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Polls

Polls Post All Polls in Here.

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new look?
Love it 124 40.39%
Hate it 14 4.56%
Meh 87 28.34%
Couldn't care less 82 26.71%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Return of the Regamaster - Desmond Regamaster Evo II

The Regamaster is back!

I'm sure some of you have seen posts on floating around the internet about the new Regamaster EVO II. I was pretty shocked to see them and really was skeptical at first, but its all legit and the Regamaster is making a glorious come back this year.

I was actually able to go check them out in person, the new owner of Desmond is local here in Arizona so I swung by to check out the EVO II a few days ago. I snapped a few pictures of the 18x10.5 +22 version he had set out and man, they are incredible. These follow the original formula of the Regamaster EVO with some slight changes, changes that the owner states were made to "modernize" the wheel. Main styling differences are the center section and lip design, while I liked the originals step lip, this new look is a win in my book. It really does stick to the old aesthetic while bringing the wheel into 2018.

Here is a 18x10.5 +22 he had out to look at. The wheel is insanely light, this model he did not have an exact weight on, but the 18x9.5 +45 weights in at 17.6lbs. The finish is perfect and the stickers are actually being made in the same place that made them 15+ years ago using better materials to ensure longevity. These new wheels are also forged in Japan, not in Russia like the originals. Currently only 18's are available for order in limited quantities, but I was told 17's are slated for later this year in sizing that would be perfect for Schassis owners

I ended up putting a deposit on a set for my WRX while I was there, will report back once they land in the states.

What do you guys think about the new look? Would you rock a set? Do you think these will kill the market for the OG Regas floating around? More info is available here: DesmondWheels.com
Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
NextTimeJr

Trader Rating: (0)
NextTimeJr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Return of the Regamaster - Desmond Regamaster Evo II

Interesting, I like these much more then the over saturated Volks. But in saying that, with the reproduction of regas they may become the generic forged wheels in the future.

Never quite seen the price of OG regas on the market but for that price of ~$2900 it would be a toss up of whether or not to just ball out on some three pieces (my favs: vsxx, vskf) or snag these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NextTimeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I think this is awesome, although, way to expensive for a monoblock IMO.

Also, very surprised with the lack of sizing.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeJr View Post
Interesting, I like these much more then the over saturated Volks. But in saying that, with the reproduction of regas they may become the generic forged wheels in the future.

Never quite seen the price of OG regas on the market but for that price of ~$2900 it would be a toss up of whether or not to just ball out on some three pieces (my favs: vsxx, vskf) or snag these.

There have been others that have tried to copy the Regamaster, but this is not the case with this re-release. These are the real deal carrying the original name and are properly forged monoblock wheels.

I've always though OG pricing was nuts, but its all about supply and demand and they are still great wheels. I wouldn't compare these to a three piece wheel, these weight half of what any three piece wheel would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I think this is awesome, although, way to expensive for a monoblock IMO.

Also, very surprised with the lack of sizing.
The pricing is steep for sure, but its pretty much on par with other monoblock forged wheels.

The sizing is odd, I think its because they first batch is quite small and the owner of Desmond is a Honda guy. The 18x9.5 +45 is meant for the Civic Type-R and the 18x10 +35 is NSX rear fitment. I was told this batch is only 60 sets total, about 12 sets of each color/pcd per size. When I asked about future batches he said there will be significantly more sets and more sizes as he feels out the demand.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
NextTimeJr

NextTimeJr is an unknown quantity at this point
I totally understand that a forged monoblock can’t be compared to a three piece, all I was getting at is if I were to spend that kind of money I would buy three piece. I don’t race or do time attack so the weight of the wheel wouldn’t phase me, just looking for something that I like and looks good on my car.

In saying that, the rega is probably the best looking forged wheel out there imo so it will be cool too see where this goes.

NextTimeJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I dunno man, I've never cared about this wheel. I've always associated it with Hondas & Civics. I've always been more of an LMGT4 kinda guy if we're talking forged monoblock wheels. Advan TC, Enkei RP03, FN01RCs, anything 5 spoke & concave gets me hot.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Regamasters are dope.

With the new lip design, I'm sure the 18s will look bigger than the old ones on car.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
I dunno man, I've never cared about this wheel. I've always associated it with Hondas & Civics. I've always been more of an LMGT4 kinda guy if we're talking forged monoblock wheels. Advan TC, Enkei RP03, FN01RCs, anything 5 spoke & concave gets me hot.
Yeah the old SPOON version of the Regamaster has been copied and you'll find them on Honda's everywhere. They are insanely played out in the older Honda world.

The Advan TC III is one of my favorite wheels ever, I was so close to ordering a set before these popped up. The concave spoke design with the deep center section looks incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Regamasters are dope.

With the new lip design, I'm sure the 18s will look bigger than the old ones on car.
Funny you mention that, when I was talking with the owner he said that a larger face was the main design reason behind ditching the step lip. I am really interested to see how it looks on the 17in version when those are released.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Yeah the current sizing is definitely a result of the new FK8 Civic Type R.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. These aren't made or designed by the folks who made the originals? ICB just bought the name (if even that) and farmed them out to a manufacturer?
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
Yeah the current sizing is definitely a result of the new FK8 Civic Type R.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. These aren't made or designed by the folks who made the originals? ICB just bought the name (if even that) and farmed them out to a manufacturer?
ICB seems mainly Honda focused so it makes since he would bring them back in a size that fits the newest and "hottest" Honda out.

From what I gathered from our chat the new owner has been in the process of acquiring all of Desmond's IP for quite some time, he finalized everything and used the original designs to design the EVO II. He seemed really passionate about bringing the wheels back the right way by not cutting corners and while they are not made in Russia anymore, thats probably not a bad thing. The originals made in Russia are known for their light weight, but also for cracking. As long as the company building the EVO II, TWS Forged wheels, knows how to properly build a forged monoblock wheel, these should be far superior to the OG Regas.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
TWS supplies the Zent GT500 team.

Shoot, these good.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Kviper52
Zilvia Member

Kviper52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ?

nvm figured it out
1997 240sx -Wife Car

My Cars and Their story:
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=657376
Kviper52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #13
Citrus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Citrus will become famous soon enoughCitrus will become famous soon enoughCitrus will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm on the fence, I wouldn't say I love it or hate it.

Step lip + forged monoblock is what makes the Regamaster king of the 1990's wheels. In a way, I suppose this is a good thing for those of us who own originals.

The new Regas look good, but given the choice, I'll keep my originals. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of options in that price range that are light weight and look great.

(Original 18x10.5 shown below for comparison):
Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
Citrus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Citrus will become famous soon enoughCitrus will become famous soon enoughCitrus will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Forgot to ask - with the new face, is brake clearance increased? I could see that as a potential benefit to losing the stepped lip.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
TWS supplies the Zent GT500 team.

Shoot, these good.
I looked into their background a bit before I ordered my set and saw their history in motorsports wheels. Really helped me justify the price tag, these should be great quality wheels that hold up to some serious abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Forgot to ask - with the new face, is brake clearance increased? I could see that as a potential benefit to losing the stepped lip.
I really don't think these will effect the pricing of the OG's because so many prefer the step lip. I have seen quite a few people selling OG's lately and I can only imagine they are doing it because the think the value is going to drop.

I think it did add a bit of brake clearance, being non-step lip means the barrel should be a bit larger behind the face meaning larger brakes will be easier to fit. I think it will make more of a difference overall on the 17's when they are released. When my set comes in I am going to see if they clear my buddies Akebono's for shits and giggles, there are few flat/convex face wheels that will clear such massive calipers.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:09 PM   #16
Farzam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sizing choices are meh, no stepped lip is meh, price is meh. Still a fan, just hope at least 2 of the 3 things change so I actually buy a set.

edit: voted "loved it" before someone tried to jump down my throat for having an opinion. Meh didn't seem appropriate, lol
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzam View Post
Sizing choices are meh, no stepped lip is meh, price is meh. Still a fan, just hope at least 2 of the 3 things change so I actually buy a set.

edit: voted "loved it" before someone tried to jump down my throat for having an opinion. Meh didn't seem appropriate, lol
More sizes are slated for later this year, but I am pretty sure the step lip is dead for the EVO II. Would be cool if in the future they decide to offer a "OG" version kind of like what Volk does with the TE37.

Pricing is high, but like others have pointed out the company manufacturing these builds some super high quality wheels. I'll happily pay $3k for a set of quality wheels. I am interested to see what pricing for the 17in version looks like.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
t3chnique
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
t3chnique has a spectacular aura aboutt3chnique has a spectacular aura aboutt3chnique has a spectacular aura aboutt3chnique has a spectacular aura aboutt3chnique has a spectacular aura aboutt3chnique has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Wow, I didn't know they were planning to bring 17s out later this year. I'm excited to see those for s-chassis, hopefully 17x9 +15-25ish. Reverse lip will be perfect for 17s.
t3chnique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3chnique View Post
Wow, I didn't know they were planning to bring 17s out later this year. I'm excited to see those for s-chassis, hopefully 17x9 +15-25ish. Reverse lip will be perfect for 17s.
Yeah there are suppose to be quite a few 17in sized available. Heard from a friend recently that 17x9.5 +12 is confirmed with the same 70mm lip the 18x10.5's have.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #20
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
The lack of step lip on the EVO II looks interesting--not bad!
It is kind of cool that Desmond is 'back'.
A friend had told me about this happening, but I sort of forgot until seeing this.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIIXziuR View Post
The lack of step lip on the EVO II looks interesting--not bad!
It is kind of cool that Desmond is 'back'.
A friend had told me about this happening, but I sort of forgot until seeing this.
I like that they refreshed the design and didn't just re-release the same wheel. I would love to see them release an "OG EVO" at some point for everyone who prefers the step lip, since these are forged in Japan they will be surperior to the original EVO's made in Russia. I'm also interested to see if other variants come out, not everyone can afford a $2800+ set of wheels .

Sent from my OnePlus 6
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Much better without the step. What are the prices?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #23
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
Much better without the step. What are the prices?
They're not cheap...

Desmond Wheels
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
sizes suck and can we get another color other than white? although I will say I do like that they got rid of the step lip. probably minority opinion on this, but I cant stand step lips.

were they that expensive when new too?
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
sizes suck and can we get another color other than white? although I will say I do like that they got rid of the step lip. probably minority opinion on this, but I cant stand step lips.

were they that expensive when new too?
You're not wrong about the sizes for anything RWD, they do suck. When the pre-orders opened you could get white, silver or gold. The new owner of Desmond runs his company centered around Honda's, he choose the 18x9.5 +45 because they are perfect for a new Type R. From what I can tell, the other sizes are just kind of place holders with the 10.5 +22 being there to show off how the lip looks on such a wide version of this new design. He assured me there will be more sizes in the future and has already confirmed 17x9.5 +12 as another size that will be available soon.

Last edited by tb13; 08-15-2018 at 06:29 PM..
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
awesome. I figured the owner just wanted to get the money maker sizes out there first.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #27
integlspwr
Zilvia Member

integlspwr can only hope to improve
Pre ordered my 10.5 +22 before the prices went up. Going on my wide body s2000
Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #28
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

I just saw they have a knurled bead seat. that's rad.

does anyone know what the lip size is on the 18x9.5 +45s?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #29
integlspwr
Zilvia Member

integlspwr can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
I just saw they have a knurled bead seat. that's rad.

does anyone know what the lip size is on the 18x9.5 +45s?
45.2mm from what I gathered
Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

thank you. it may be wise for me to wait and see if they come out with a lower offset. id prefer not to have to use a 15-20mm slip on spacer if I can get 'em in a lower offset.