Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #121
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
ah cool, I don't know dick about body work, that's my little brothers department.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #122
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question, which i cant seem to ever get my head around. what are the specs of your wheels i would love to run larger tires on the front of my s13 but i cant do to the fact that they set up camp right next to my coils. i have rolled and pulled the fenders but it doesnt seem like i can fit more then 235's with my wheels. any in-site as to how you do this cause i would love to run larger tires. nice body work and all that jazz... i bet your neighbor must love you haha..
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #123
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Did a test spray on one of the origin fenders, just to see how i like the color and how the new gun shoots. Man o man, blows that harbor FRIGHT gun out of the water. Did this all over the cours of about 1.5 hours, at dusk and finished up at night.

Huge 13 inch plus size fan, lays down basecoat and clear like glass, super fast to paint with. And when i say glass i mean like glass virtually no orange peel even in my amatuer hands.

Here is the fender, i have not wet sanded buffed or even prepped this fender, all i did was wipe it down with a scuff pad and fiberglass cleaner, sealed it, 3 coats of base 3 coats of clear. Enjoy

HEre is with the flash so you can see the metallics pop

Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #124
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Holy shit!!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #125
crono72000
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
crono72000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
nice work ! im guna have to get me a decent gun
crono72000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #126
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
awesome sauce homie!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #127
sstraight

sstraight is an unknown quantity at this point
dang..lookin good man. i wouldve guessed u were a pro. u should open ur own body shop lol. just make sure that u let the customers kno that u take ur time lol. at least theyll kno its perfect
sstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #128
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
thats it i know which gun i am buying next gti/ gfg plus! I allways heard good things about the gfg in laying clear like a champ. Even better than satas. You know you can buy a atmosphere cap pressure guage so you can have a constant amount of psi coming out of your gun when you spray different parts. Other than that just remember to leave your gun at the same fan pattern and trigger settings and you should no issues blending. Jambs dont matter when blending on a whole new car. Just doing things like fenders, hood, quarter that matter.

I've told ppl here numorous times habor freight sucks and finally someone here used a good gun and it proves they do suck. I have a devilbiss gun for primer and an iwata lph100 for painting. Gonna get a new set up soon. Either lph400 paired with satajet RP or the devilbiss setup. Btw how much did the guns run you new? around 400-600?
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #129
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
300.00 shipped for the plus brand new withi 3 tips, if you want pm me and ill point you in the right direction.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #130
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Here it is on the car, for me the jury is still out on the color. It sure is a shiny turd though.

I guess what i dont like about it is it just is so dull, i wanted something that would pop more I guess. Believe it or not i think it looks better at night.

Im thinking in order of importance

1. Super gloss black
2. Mercedes AMG silver
3. Mazda 3 red
4. The color I have now ( indium grey ) mercedes

Any suggestions guys?? the car will be painted this coming friday come hell or high water. Just sucks i may have to buy a different color paint, after already spending 250 for the gallon of this one.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #131
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
300 bleh i would just get the gun itself and 3m pps system with it. The cup alone is like 120.00. I usally get them slightly used from ebay. Never got a bad one yet or i just rebuild them myself.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #132
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I say paint the car that color, you will appreciate how it looks on the car once it's done....

especially in the sun... a dark grey isn't going to pop it's going to look black and then have the gray lay on top of it where the sun hits. You get the best of both worlds, a car that looks black but has an awesome color where the sun hits.

Another great color for this is Dark Amethyst Pearl.

but hey I personally dig the color you're going to paint it, you want it to pop more, polish your wheels. LOL!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #133
xs240
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Shouldn't have went metallic, honestly I found the 90s metallic paint fad really lame. I know EXTREME flakes and metallics have been raped to death with 'drift cars' but honestly... what is there to it? It's an excuse for a poor paint job (not saying yours is).

Pure colors like pure blackest black, pure redest red (like ferrari red) with proper polishing jobs are where it's at imho... when you can see yourself as in a mirror... while looking wet.
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #134
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Man i never thought this would be such a hard choice to make.

If this wasnt so subjective it would be a no brianer for me. IE if black was faster than red it would be a no brainer lol. Im leaning towards a gunmetal right now.

In either case come hell or high water the car will be painted on thurday or friday, i have both days off of work and the car is ready to go. Ill probably pick the color at the last minute and end up regretting it later like i always do when i have a hard choice lol. What can you do, stay tuned.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #135
xs240
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
xs240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just for inspiration, the cheapest blackest black that can be had (this is a secret :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs240 View Post
Examples of a good choice of blackest black pure colors:

I had an old man who had a GNX in my family's old building when I was still in high school heh'

It's a nice to find blackest black that can be had, I will paint my hatch with this.
xs240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #136
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

yes black is definitly the cheapest color especially in chromabase coming in at 170 a gallon with red being the most expensive just shy of 400.00

Like i posted before im just worried about any waves that might show up due to something i may have missed in the prep that is keeping me away from black. Thats where metallics help.

Anyone know of a nice metallic black ( say with silver metallics).
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #137
gunluvS14
Zilvia Member

gunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura aboutgunluvS14 has a spectacular aura about
dang, nice progress
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #138
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
yes black is definitly the cheapest color especially in chromabase coming in at 170 a gallon with red being the most expensive just shy of 400.00

Like i posted before im just worried about any waves that might show up due to something i may have missed in the prep that is keeping me away from black. Thats where metallics help.

Nighthawk Black Pearl from honda.

They suck at capturing the pearl but yeah.

My car was the same color, but they left out the pearl...

The prep job that was done was horrible and the paint ended up cracking off in sections, hence the repaint.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #139
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

That looks good, i may have to see it in person.

I just saw a new subaru sti , in dark grey metallic code 61k, and that shit looked hot. Im liking that one.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #140
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Yeah the pearls in nighthawk are silver and blue.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #141
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
What about the gunmetal off an R32. I forget the exact color, but it's a nice metallic gunmetal with flakes in it. Great color!

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #142
omgjacki

omgjacki is making his/her stupidity well-knownomgjacki is making his/her stupidity well-knownomgjacki is making his/her stupidity well-knownomgjacki is making his/her stupidity well-known
This is my friend Ryan's STi. I'm not sure what the actual color is, but we're calling it Anthracite. I want to go with this for mine. Maybe darker. I thought I'd share this with you. I know you mentioned a gunmetal color, this seems to be a little lighter, though.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #143
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
My .02 cents, I always like to stick with light colors, espeically the AMG silver so sexy.. I think it will look perfect on the car..

plus mad props to you for all the DIY work, simply unbelievable! I wish i was your neighbor, I would be asking you for a paintjob! seriously!
hybrid_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #144
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

well bad news for me, Stuff came up at work so i wont be able to take weds, thurs, and friday off to finish the car, so i wont be painting this week. I guess ill do the backs of the doors and trunk this weekend and see when i can reschedule my days off to finish.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #145
SleepySR
Leaky Injector

SleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the roughSleepySR is a jewel in the rough
early z32's had a black pearl paint , diamond black pearl .code 732 , ppg #9762 ( pulled from my PPG chip book from my shop)
its got a silver cast to it but still looks deep black.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #146
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post

Dude first off great thread, cant believe i havent come across it sooner! loved the Zenki with stock aero but awesome wheels.... also loved the OEM green, however it looked more like DN1 (kouki green) but i'm a little biased as thats my color, and i love it.

A really nice black metallic thats in the nissan family is black onyx from the infiniti QX56 its paint code G10 its got silver and rainbow metallic flakes. Pretty sweet color. heres a close up from when my body shop (at work) let me design a G37 two tone

and the final product, some of you will hate it, others might like it but thats a different thread...

Anyway i vote you paint it something brigher than the turd brown, black is always classic and nice, but its been done. Ferrari red or lambo orange pearl would be sick, but i dont know if thats what your going for. Either way i can tell your a perfectionist so gloss (non-metallic) colors would be harder, but it seems like you've put in enough prep work to make it fine, and i know that anyone other than yourself isint going to see any minor flaws..... Plus like you keep saying your just going to beat it up anyway so fuggit, go with what you like but keep it simple enough that you will be okay with re-doing it multiple times over. Cant wait to see the finished product.

oh and i'll buy your over fenders if you're done with em and wanna cut me a good deal. LMK
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #147
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

shot another test panel with a black pearl that i sort of made a special mix of....

Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #148
hybrid_eg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
hybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the roughhybrid_eg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Hey can i come over and have you spray my car? awesome work man!
hybrid_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #149
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I think it looks good but try to refrain on a pearl overload... your car is going to look like a piece of deli meat, that reflective iron glaze you see on turkey cutlets or some shit lol.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #150
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
732 Black Pearl Metallic
Thats the name and paint code. Subtle sparkle in it. Looks amazing.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote