Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
oldman_KA_T

Trader Rating: (0)
oldman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is where JDM engines come from...

oldman_KA_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hate to break it to you, but yes, jdm engines come from jdm spec cars. just like USDM engines come from USDM cars.

crazy, right?!
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
oldman_KA_T

oldman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enougholdman_KA_T will become famous soon enough
yes, crushing clean cars so that some kids beat 240 can get a sr seems like a perfectly logical thing to do.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
That car was so clean

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
AscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Owning a car like this in japan is not a cheap nor easy process. Every 2 years we have JCI and inspection, parts are harder and more expensive and you can’t just run aftermarket shit. They’re super picky about loads of things and sometimes it’s just easier to sell / scrap it than fork out hundreds to thousands of $ (in this case. 10s of thousands of ¥) just to keep an old, beat ass Silvia, running. I’ve had my Silvia for about 6 weeks now and it’s still not registered. I had to fork a ton of money for new LCAs / bushings / gaskets and I haven’t even started with Insurance or the other maintenance I have to do. Oil and gas are also pretty expensive out here and it’s a pain in the ass to drive...anywhere really. Driving down the street to a restaurant maybe 2 miles away could be a 3 hour ordeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
decrepit teenage shitsleds
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
"Cut my springs, car is bouncy, will a camber kit help?"
AscendaShogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
I guess whole front clips are a thing of the past, huh?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
oldman_KA_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendaShogun View Post
Owning a car like this in japan is not a cheap nor easy process. Every 2 years we have JCI and inspection, parts are harder and more expensive and you can’t just run aftermarket shit. They’re super picky about loads of things and sometimes it’s just easier to sell / scrap it than fork out hundreds to thousands of $ (in this case. 10s of thousands of ¥) just to keep an old, beat ass Silvia, running. I’ve had my Silvia for about 6 weeks now and it’s still not registered. I had to fork a ton of money for new LCAs / bushings / gaskets and I haven’t even started with Insurance or the other maintenance I have to do. Oil and gas are also pretty expensive out here and it’s a pain in the ass to drive...anywhere really. Driving down the street to a restaurant maybe 2 miles away could be a 3 hour ordeal.

yes, that is why they do it... but they probably get what? $1,000 for the car? i know that most of the ones that get stripped are owned by average joes not enthusiasts, but still. they could at least take the doors, interior, subframes, ect out. too bad they aren't imported and sold at reasonable prices.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendaShogun View Post

so how does one manage to keep an older car thats modified?

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

AscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the roughAscendaShogun is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_KA_T View Post
yes, that is why they do it... but they probably get what? $1,000 for the car? i know that most of the ones that get stripped are owned by average joes not enthusiasts, but still. they could at least take the doors, interior, subframes, ect out. too bad they aren't imported and sold at reasonable prices.

Could. Most of the people who own them are older or don’t have the knowledge / care. They take what they can get and move on. When you can buy an 03 Skyline 350GT for $3500 why waste the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
so how does one manage to keep an older car thats modified?

A lot of effort. I know most of us in the military just put bandaid/bullshit stuff to bring it back to basically stock. But things like aftermarket / extended arms and any suspension welds that don’t look factory are a HUGE no go.

As far as shops and such most of the race/track/drift whatever cars get temp plates if they aren’t trailered to the track. (Those are the red slash plates) and even that’s a fucking hassle because they’re only good for 5 days and town hall throws a fit if they’re not back. But all in all it’s not that hard if you have some cash and knowledge.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
a hardtop... make it stop, PLEASE!!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #11
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
May I ask where you came across these photos? Not gonna lie it's pretty sad to see such a clean s-chassis meet its demise like this, reminds me of a poacher doing awful things to an endangered animal to harvest and sell its valuable organs
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
fivepointnine

fivepointnine is an unknown quantity at this point
That makes me sad, but having been to Japan a few times and having friends that live there I understand it takes a lot to keep older cars on the road, my car was almost showroom fresh when it came over in 2015, and its a 1988!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
any idea on roughly how much the salvage yards over there buys these things for?

let's just say a $1000 since someone up top said that....$1000 + $5000 to ship it (i'm totally pulling that figure out my ass) = $6000 stateside; sell for $7000?

i mean obviously that's what import shops here are doing, but i'm trying to think about it from the perspective of how we could save these things since they're so costly to own in japan.

i guess it also depends on what kinda profit margins these import shops are working with and if there's as much demand for these silvias here.
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:02 AM   #14
AscendaShogun
Zilvia Junkie

Now I’m saying it’s difficult. Not impossible. Obv there’s people who do it. I do it. It’s a labour of love.

There’s a lot of issues with “save the S Chassis” that come to mind. But I won’t get into it with y’all.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm surprised how many people feel some sort of way about this. Where did you guys think the importers getting containers full of used engines come from?

Everyone in japan walking into the dealer to buy a full long block, just cause their original was running great?
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'm surprised how many people feel some sort of way about this. Where did you guys think the importers getting containers full of used engines come from?

Everyone in japan walking into the dealer to buy a full long block, just cause their original was running great?
I think it's like the initial shock you get when you see how we get our meat.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #17
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Here's the issue, everyone wants to receive a great and well maintained engine when they purchase one but, those don't usually come from unmaintained crappy cars. Maybe some fall through the cracks via accidents and what not, but I think generally speaking good engines come from good cars.

Think of how many SR swapped cars are in the US and then think of how many Silvia's had to of been dismantled and scrapped because of our appetite for these motors.
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Where did you guys think the importers getting containers full of used engines come from?
I used to think they came from wrecked, or seized vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
I've always known they came from hacked up cars ever since SCC first started their Project Silvia that launched the whole craze over here.

But I assumed that the days of low mileage, good quality motors were long gone. I just there might still be some over there, waiting till the day somebody tows it over to the junk yard like such trash.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #20
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
SR prices have jumped. Years ago I remember S14 sr's were 2400, now they are upwards of 3500. Supply and demand I suppose.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #21
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
you probably don't wanna know where these come from then, do you???

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
oldman_KA_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
you probably don't wanna know where these come from then, do you???
i can just buy over-the-counter laxatives for cheaper. wouldn't be caught dead in starbucks.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
JC831
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
JC831 is making a name for him/her selfJC831 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
everyone that does a swap from now on should pour one out in respect.
JC831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ8 944 View Post
Here's the issue, everyone wants to receive a great and well maintained engine when they purchase one but, those don't usually come from unmaintained crappy cars. Maybe some fall through the cracks via accidents and what not, but I think generally speaking good engines come from good cars.

Think of how many SR swapped cars are in the US and then think of how many Silvia's had to of been dismantled and scrapped because of our appetite for these motors.
I have honestly never seen a JDM import engine being in any other state then "ready to rebuild".

The last RB i saw had its cylinders full of water and rust. They are a good starting point and thats it. Do not expect to just swap them and be done with them.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #25
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
I have honestly never seen a JDM import engine being in any other state then "ready to rebuild".

The last RB i saw had its cylinders full of water and rust. They are a good starting point and thats it. Do not expect to just swap them and be done with them.
Ouch. I knew there was trash floating around but damn, I didn't know it was this bad. Sure that wasn't a Fukushima motor?

That's just a another reason to pick LSx or build a USDM 2J monster. If you're gonna have to rebuild anyway, why not start with something inherently superior?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post

I've been fairly lucky with mine, but we've also been picky, and the last one my brother and I got for his frontier, the importer fired it up for us before we bought it. they had a fuel pump in a bucket, and we did a compression test and then ran the engine just to make sure. granted, not everyone has the opportunity to visit their importer in person, but there are still good engines available.

I definitely agree that it is WISE to assume that the engine you're getting will need a refresh. New water pump, bearings, even rings and head gasket/head studs aren't bad ideas to toss in.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #27
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
build a USDM 2J monster. If you're gonna have to rebuild anyway, why not start with something inherently superior?
because JDM 2jzs and USDM jzs are not the same thing. also, if you're guaranteed a good motor with good compression, you kind of expect a good motor with good compression.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #28
Malik
Nissanaholic!

Malik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant futureMalik has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I definitely agree that it is WISE to assume that the engine you're getting will need a refresh. New water pump, bearings, even rings and head gasket/head studs aren't bad ideas to toss in.
definitely the correct approach.
Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 AM   #29
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
That was such a clean chassis! 100% cleaner than most runners anyways..

Back in 09 I had my RB25 with transmission shipped to my door with mount kit and 1pc driveshaft for $2500 even! From zerolift nonetheless. Now I think just rb25 long blocks are over 2k.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #30
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
That was such a clean chassis! 100% cleaner than most runners anyways..

Back in 09 I had my RB25 with transmission shipped to my door with mount kit and 1pc driveshaft for $2500 even! From zerolift nonetheless. Now I think just rb25 long blocks are over 2k.

More like 2700

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Nissan-...cAAOSwS3Za76oA

How about an SR20 that looks beat to hell and back for the low low price of 2,999.99?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-SILV...8AAOSwu6tahKpa

or even better /s

An S13 sr20 for 3400

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-89-92-N...8AAOSwQb1bBuYa

Personally I think we should get the crème de le crème and buy an S15 SR20 in "excellent condition" for a small 4,300 /s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-...0AAOSwEaBaMvmv
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote