Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
wiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Transmission/clutch problem? Please help me diagnose!

(Yes, i searched)

Ok,
So ive been having this transmission or clutch problem that i need some advice on.

When im coasting with the car in gear but my foot all the way down on the clutch pedal, ill hear a loud grinding/scraping sound and feel the vibration in the clutch.
If i give it gas it'll go away. If i let up on the clutch it'll go away.
Once i was on a hill with it in neutral, and it started scraping when i tried to put it in gear, and it was really hard to put it in first.. I had to push really hard and ended up just putting it in 2nd because there was someone behind me.

This started happening yesterday.

A friend tells me he thinks its the trans, but the guy at the auto store says it sounds like its just the clutch.

What do you guys think? Please ask questions if you need more info to help me.

Ill be changing the trans fluid right after posting this.

Thanks,
Zac
wiggafly808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
seto_s14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
seto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud ofseto_s14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to seto_s14
sounds like throw out bearing to me.

if it only makes funky noises when the clutch is all the way down, it's probably TOB
Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
Modrified
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Modrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
your cars sounds used to be exactly like mines. at dead stop, i would some time start at second because it wouldn't go to first at all.

here are the things that i did:

changed my fluid and make sure you put the right amount. i used the redline m/t 90 gl4. i see that you're in hawaii, redline automotive has them in stock pretty much all the time.

check if your slave does have any leak. one day, my slave was fine and the next, it was leaking (i installed a used one thats way i think it just leak)

hopefully those helps.
Modrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

wiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to allwiggafly808 is a name known to all
I just changed the fluid.. That filler screw is a biatch and a half to get off.

I used the mobil1 75w90.

Test drove it around for about 5 minutes, and no noises, but i guess time will tell.

Ill check the slave cyl soon.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Rnz520
Zilvia Junkie

Rnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Rnz520
What kind of clutch do you have?
There is a chance you might have popped the spring out of the clutch if its sprung, if its unsprung you could have stripped the teeth out of the clutch (friend had this problem, I was the one that popped the springs out of the sprung clutch). If it is that, you just get a new one. Or it could just be the TOB
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Its an ACT clutch.

The thing is it doesnt happen all the time, maybe 6 times in the few hours ive driven it.. 3 times yesterday in like 40 min and 3 times in the 40 minutes today.

Hasnt happened since i changed the fluid, but thats only like 5 min of drive time.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
Rnz520
Zilvia Junkie

Rnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud ofRnz520 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Rnz520
my friends clutch was an act. How about you take the trans down and look, it only takes about an hour...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

No time this week.. I've never really messed with a trans besides changing the fluid and starter haha.
On top of that, im busy at work/school and doing bodywork and prepping my car for paint!

Hmm, i suppose if i have any time next week i will attempt to do it.

I havent had any more scraping when the clutch is depressed after i changed the fluid..
There was always occasional scraping between 2nd and 3rd, which seems to be a little more pronounced every once in a while.

Scraping between gears = new trans? Someones selling one for like $100 around here, but i dont want to pick it up and just hold it around, my parents dont like car parts around the house.

Thanks for all the help so far,
Zac
Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Modrified
Zilvia Member

Modrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of lightModrified is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggafly808 View Post
No time this week.. I've never really messed with a trans besides changing the fluid and starter haha.
On top of that, im busy at work/school and doing bodywork and prepping my car for paint!

Hmm, i suppose if i have any time next week i will attempt to do it.

I havent had any more scraping when the clutch is depressed after i changed the fluid..
There was always occasional scraping between 2nd and 3rd, which seems to be a little more pronounced every once in a while.

Scraping between gears = new trans? Someones selling one for like $100 around here, but i dont want to pick it up and just hold it around, my parents dont like car parts around the house.

Thanks for all the help so far,
Zac
I know what you mean about parents not wanting car parts around the house. They always tell me "oh, you know this is not a scrap yard or storage place". Haha.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
deuceforty
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
deuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of lightdeuceforty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
damn dude, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble

and i got kind of screwed, my parents were sick of my box of OE parts under the house (they never even go down there wtf)
so i went down there to get my rear seats and seatbelts and panels one day and they were gone they threw them away saying if i want to keep a storage space i can pay them for it...
deuceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Modrified
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceforty View Post
damn dude, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble

and i got kind of screwed, my parents were sick of my box of OE parts under the house (they never even go down there wtf)
so i went down there to get my rear seats and seatbelts and panels one day and they were gone they threw them away saying if i want to keep a storage space i can pay them for it...
oh snap. sorry to hear that. i've been okay, no parts are thrown away yet, but my brothers SR tranny wasn't so lucky. My parents throw it away.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #12
wiggafly808
Zilvia Junkie

Ok i finally got around to taking the trans down, turns out the clutch plate and pilot bearing were all messed up, so i had to replace that.

Just a reference for those who were searching!