Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #721
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Ok guys, time for a cheap upgrade. I'm looking to ditch this HTC Evo 4G for something better & I'm dying to get back to Galaxy.

Which would you pick between the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S5?
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #722
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Been on my Note3 for 2 years now...No root needed...Hands down best phone I've ever owned..Still stupid fast..removable card...fantastic camera...FTW

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #723
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I'm still on my note 2 and best phone i ever had! I've beat it up so bad and still gives me no problems. Just waiting for the Note 5 so i can upgrade finally
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #724
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Thanks guys, I'm gonna grab the Note 3 over the 5S.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #725
simmode1
Post Whore!

Holy shit, nearly 2 years ago to the date! haha!

Been rocking my ancient Note3 ever since I made that last post but I've got the itch to update to something new, so I need your advice, guys!

I'm interested in going off the beaten path & leave Samsung for some of these other Android phones hitting the market. I'm trying to find the absolute best value that I can get from a new or lightly used phone in the $300 range.

I've had my eye on the Essential PH1 for a long time now and I'm hearing that the Android 9/Pie update has really made it into the phone it should have been at launch. Amazon has it right now for $309 but there's speculation that the price might get dropped again for a quick fire sale to move the remaining units fast. I'm a little hesitant because it seems like the Essential company is getting out of the phone business. What do you think?

I'm also hearing a crazy amount of buzz about this Xioami brand with their Pocophone F1 device... should I wait for that? Do these phone even work right in the US?

TBH, the phone I think I REALLY want is the OnePlus 5T, but it's a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. These China/India/Korea phones are looking crazy, but shit's confusing...lol
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #726
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Long term iphone user here (My first one was a 3GS). The no headphone jack has me peeved. Been looking at droid phones to upgrade to once my 6s+ no longer cuts the mustard with battery life.

My issue with droid phones is it seems the os has issues. The wife has had multiple Samsung Galaxies. I have had to work on all of them to fix issues.

While IOS has issues too, it seems fixing them is a lot simpler than what I had to do with the droid phone.

That being said been looking at the Note 9 since the pixel does not have a headphone jack either.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I wanted the google pixel 3 xl until I found out no headphone jack.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #727
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
odd you are having issues with the OS, with my droids its always been battery life until the battery just shits the bed (which my s5 is starting to do). are the droids you are having issues with unlocked?

my s5 galaxy is just about dead (battery wise), I was looking at getting the new galaxy or the note. although I am open to other droids with a removable battery, expandable storage, and a headphone jack (crazy that they are making phones without these). im on ATT and have an upgrade available to me. what other brands meet my criteria? google and LG?

I am also not sure if ATT is still doing the 2 year commitment with buying the phone upfront at a discounted price; but I really don't want to pay that extra 20-30 a month over a 24 month period. if you do the math you realize pretty quickly its not a good deal. hopefully that is still an option.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #728
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post

Been rocking my ancient Note3 ever since I made that last post but I've got the itch to update to something new, so I need your advice, guys!

I'm interested in going off the beaten path & leave Samsung for some of these other Android phones hitting the market. I'm trying to find the absolute best value that I can get from a new or lightly used phone in the $300 range.

I've had my eye on the Essential PH1 for a long time now and I'm hearing that the Android 9/Pie update has really made it into the phone it should have been at launch. Amazon has it right now for $309 but there's speculation that the price might get dropped again for a quick fire sale to move the remaining units fast. I'm a little hesitant because it seems like the Essential company is getting out of the phone business. What do you think?

I'm also hearing a crazy amount of buzz about this Xioami brand with their Pocophone F1 device... should I wait for that? Do these phone even work right in the US?

TBH, the phone I think I REALLY want is the OnePlus 5T, but it's a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. These China/India/Korea phones are looking crazy, but shit's confusing...lol

If you're considering the OnePlus 5T, then there's no reason for you to be hesitant on the Essential PH-1. Both are solid phones at a good price, even if they are slightly dated. Also the Essential phone could be had for a cheap price. There was a one-day fire sale on Amazon where it was going for $224 shipped. I wouldn't be surprised it if happens again.

I strongly believe the Xiaomi phone will never be sold in the US. Given the U.S. government's stance on ZTE & Huaweii, there's just no chance another Chinese company will try to risk it in the US market. Would the phone work in US? MAYBE, but most likely not on all the cellular bands available in the US. I wouldn't go through the effort to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Long term iphone user here (My first one was a 3GS). The no headphone jack has me peeved. Been looking at droid phones to upgrade to once my 6s+ no longer cuts the mustard with battery life.

My issue with droid phones is it seems the os has issues. The wife has had multiple Samsung Galaxies. I have had to work on all of them to fix issues.

While IOS has issues too, it seems fixing them is a lot simpler than what I had to do with the droid phone.

That being said been looking at the Note 9 since the pixel does not have a headphone jack either.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I wanted the google pixel 3 xl until I found out no headphone jack.

If a headphone jack is a must, consider the Samsung S9/S9+ or OnePlus 6. The latter is getting an update soon with the OnePlus 6T.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #729
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
If a headphone jack is a must, consider the Samsung S9/S9+ or OnePlus 6. The latter is getting an update soon with the OnePlus 6T.
https://www.androidauthority.com/one...arison-898611/
Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #730
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

I've owned a OnePlus 5T and currently have a OnePlus 6. Both have been absolutely fantastic. Neither have had the slow down fatigue of older android phones I've owned and the battery life of both, thanks to the basically "stock android", is incredible.

OnePlus 5T's are cheap second hand, find someone like me that got the itch to upgrade and you should be able to snag one for around $300-350.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #731
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Currently typing from my 5t I've had it since it came out. It's absolutely phenomenal. One plus don't over think it. They're awesome.
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #732
simmode1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
If you're considering the OnePlus 5T, then there's no reason for you to be hesitant on the Essential PH-1. Both are solid phones at a good price, even if they are slightly dated. Also the Essential phone could be had for a cheap price. There was a one-day fire sale on Amazon where it was going for $224 shipped. I wouldn't be surprised it if happens again.

I strongly believe the Xiaomi phone will never be sold in the US. Given the U.S. government's stance on ZTE & Huaweii, there's just no chance another Chinese company will try to risk it in the US market. Would the phone work in US? MAYBE, but most likely not on all the cellular bands available in the US. I wouldn't go through the effort to get it.
I think my hesitance about the Essential phone is that since they're getting out of the phone biz, they won't be offering updates on it for much longer. I read somewhere that they committed to 2 years of updates for it and the phone is already about a year old. Other than that, I'm about ready to pull the trigger just as soon as I see another sale for it. But maybe I shouldn't be bitching about updates. My Note 3 is still running Android 5...

Thanks for explaining the Xiaomi thing too... I keep seeing all these US review videos going crazy over these devices but no one talking about whether the device will actually work over here. All they talk about is specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
I've owned a OnePlus 5T and currently have a OnePlus 6. Both have been absolutely fantastic. Neither have had the slow down fatigue of older android phones I've owned and the battery life of both, thanks to the basically "stock android", is incredible.

OnePlus 5T's are cheap second hand, find someone like me that got the itch to upgrade and you should be able to snag one for around $300-350.
Ahhh man, thanks for reminding me! I've been looking at brand new prices for these phones, but I have ZERO problem buying a little used... let me go check 5T used prices real quick...

Edit: Cheapest I see is $389 used shipping out of China. I'll pass on that one.

Looking more & more like I'm getting new PH1 soon. I don't think I have enough patience to wait for the 5T to drop to the price range I want.
Maybe in 2 more years, I'll come in here again asking about the Oneplus 6T. I'm always about a year and a half+ behind the times, it seems...
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #733
simmode1
Post Whore!

Ok. New question.

So I went ahead and bought that Essential PH1 for $309 on Amazon. Its been sitting on my kitchen counter unopened for 2 days now, because, frankly, ain't a damn thing wrong with my Note3...lol...

I've been interested for a while about Android's ability to be customized. So I recently started reading up on and watching Youtube videos talking about how a custom Rom like Lineage OS can make my Note 3 think it's a Note 8, run Android 9/Pie and then overclock it to run faster, even with it's old 3gb of Ram running the old Qualcomm Snagdragon 800 from 4 years ago. Hell, I heard you can even run an Apple OS on it with the right Rom...haha

My question is... is this stuff worth it? Anyone got experience with this stuff? I'm a real newbie at this stuff, so I'm still trying to make sense of it all. If it's worth doing, maybe I'll just return the Essential. What do you guys think? Will this even be comparable?

Edit: Yeah guys... I am just finding out that I have not even scratched the surface of what my Note3 can do. It's a 32gb version, but I'm considering throwing a 128gb SD card in it and running some custom ROM to get Pie. Just saw a video only showing that the Snapdragon 800 is still plenty capable of running some decent 2018 games even.

Talk me out of it... I figure, if I brick my phone, I can always crack open that Essential, I guess...lol
If I can jailbreak a Firestick and install Kodi on it, this can't be much more difficult, right?

Last edited by simmode1; 08-31-2018 at 08:47 AM..
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #734
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Easy to learn. Hard to master.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #735
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Ok. New question.

So I went ahead and bought that Essential PH1 for $309 on Amazon. Its been sitting on my kitchen counter unopened for 2 days now, because, frankly, ain't a damn thing wrong with my Note3...lol...

I've been interested for a while about Android's ability to be customized. So I recently started reading up on and watching Youtube videos talking about how a custom Rom like Lineage OS can make my Note 3 think it's a Note 8, run Android 9/Pie and then overclock it to run faster, even with it's old 3gb of Ram running the old Qualcomm Snagdragon 800 from 4 years ago. Hell, I heard you can even run an Apple OS on it with the right Rom...haha

My question is... is this stuff worth it? Anyone got experience with this stuff? I'm a real newbie at this stuff, so I'm still trying to make sense of it all. If it's worth doing, maybe I'll just return the Essential. What do you guys think? Will this even be comparable?

Edit: Yeah guys... I am just finding out that I have not even scratched the surface of what my Note3 can do. It's a 32gb version, but I'm considering throwing a 128gb SD card in it and running some custom ROM to get Pie. Just saw a video only showing that the Snapdragon 800 is still plenty capable of running some decent 2018 games even.

Talk me out of it... I figure, if I brick my phone, I can always crack open that Essential, I guess...lol
If I can jailbreak a Firestick and install Kodi on it, this can't be much more difficult, right?

If your Note 3 is in good shape (i.e. no cracked screen, decent battery), go ahead and try to modify it to run Pie. As long as you have patience and the right tools, it's not too bad to tackle. XDA forums is a good source for helpful information too. Once you get that up and running, use it for a week. If it's doable, then return the Essential phone.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #736
simmode1
Post Whore!

Yeah, my Note3 is in great condition considering its age. The battery life is kinda garbage, but I hear the Pie update actually improves that.

Ok, I just checked Amazon. I have between now and 8/27 to return that Essential PH1 for a full refund. I'm gonna try the update on my Note3 and see how it goes.

I have no idea what tools are needed. I got some homework this weekend, I see. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #737
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Yeah, my Note3 is in great condition considering its age. The battery life is kinda garbage, but I hear the Pie update actually improves that.

Ok, I just checked Amazon. I have between now and 8/27 to return that Essential PH1 for a full refund. I'm gonna try the update on my Note3 and see how it goes.

I have no idea what tools are needed. I got some homework this weekend, I see. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
You mean 9/27?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:48 PM   #738
simmode1
Post Whore!

Lol... yeah Sept 27.

I'm pretty excited about this. One of my first jobs as a kid in high school was doing helpdesk work, remotely reinstalling and updating operating systems. Of course, that was way back in the late 90's and all in DOS... This might be a fun little experiment.

My wife was a die hard Apple lover and then I got her a Galaxy S7 last year. I think she still has mixed feelings about it. I'm already looking into putting iOS 11 on it for her. Well see it this goes anywhere. I'm kinda the king of not following through with things...