Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
omgosh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 , weird fuel leak, anyone seen this?

So my S14 is leaking gas, seemingly out of the fuel pump plugs. There is no gas anywhere on the sides or the bottom of the tank. When I shut the car off, especially when it is hot, the two fuel pump plugs begin to fill up with gas. This is causing the weather seal inside the plugs to swell up and results in the plugs becoming disconnected.

I am assuming its leaking from the bulkhead-type electrical connector but I cant tell while the sender is still installed...

However, I was thinking maybe it was related to the fact that I do not have the EVAP system hooked up. I just put an SR20DE in the car and do not have the requisite solenoid and charcoal cannister so I just plugged the engine side line and left the gas tank side vented. Maybe the lack of suction in the tank is causing the gas to push through the bulkhead connectors?

Thanks for any input
Old 08-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
itsjustdaphne
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
itsjustdaphne is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
There's three hoses on the fuel sender. Feed. Return. Vent. (Vent is smallest I believe). Make sure the vent is not clogged and or plugged up in the engine bay .
itsjustdaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I have this exact same problem, fuel is creeping out of the plug-area when the tank builds pressure. I let the cap loose and it stops.

On the S14 tank, that 3rd line isnt a vent, its some kind of fuel transfer tube. Fuel returning from the tank is used to pull a vacuum on that line, drawing fuel from one side of the tank to the other. It keeps all the fuel on the side where the pump is.

So, here is where I am stuck. Either the "bulkhead" is cracked and I just need to replace it. Or, the bulkhead has some kind of safety-check valve that leaking in that spot to let me know the "vent" line is clogged, which apparently is a line that runs to a "Fuel valve" under the trunk area, and from there to the front of the car. It is possible this device has filled with fuel and since the Original engine is gone, it no longer operates, and now I have no more vent.

Q: Do I need to put a switch on the fuel valve and power it up, to send fuel to the front of the car, and install a charcoal canister there now? Or do I just need to change the cracked bulkhead? I plan to change the whole tank and all lines and everything at once, and I would like to take care of any EGR style mods also. I wonder if I could trap it in a charcoal canister, in the rear of the car (instead of engine bay, I dont see why not) and then redirect it back into the tank somehow when activated (instead of into the engine). There must be a reason the factory doesn't do this so I am guessing its not going to work.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
check the valve in your fuel cap works by sucking and blowing on it.
ive seen the caps stop working before.

over here on our SR equipped cars as standard I always just rip all the carbon canister stuff out and leave the hard line that runs under the car so that it vents out by where the front footwell meets the bulkhead.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
cclark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
cclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I have this exact same problem, fuel is creeping out of the plug-area when the tank builds pressure. I let the cap loose and it stops.

On the S14 tank, that 3rd line isnt a vent, its some kind of fuel transfer tube. Fuel returning from the tank is used to pull a vacuum on that line, drawing fuel from one side of the tank to the other. It keeps all the fuel on the side where the pump is.

So, here is where I am stuck. Either the "bulkhead" is cracked and I just need to replace it. Or, the bulkhead has some kind of safety-check valve that leaking in that spot to let me know the "vent" line is clogged, which apparently is a line that runs to a "Fuel valve" under the trunk area, and from there to the front of the car. It is possible this device has filled with fuel and since the Original engine is gone, it no longer operates, and now I have no more vent.

Q: Do I need to put a switch on the fuel valve and power it up, to send fuel to the front of the car, and install a charcoal canister there now? Or do I just need to change the cracked bulkhead? I plan to change the whole tank and all lines and everything at once, and I would like to take care of any EGR style mods also. I wonder if I could trap it in a charcoal canister, in the rear of the car (instead of engine bay, I dont see why not) and then redirect it back into the tank somehow when activated (instead of into the engine). There must be a reason the factory doesn't do this so I am guessing its not going to work.

Did you ever figure this out? This is happening to me now. I’m Buying a new gas cap and gas tank bulkhead but I’m with you, not sure that’s the main problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Oh yes

I swapped the top part (big round yellow/white plastic thing, "bulk head"). I guess the old one just had a crack somewhere.

This one is from an S15 I think. it has the fuel lines on opposite sides. I needed that anyways because I relocated my hard fuel lines to the other side of the car.
Then braided hose with hose clamps is track legal and safer for my application than AN fittings.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
cclark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
cclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Oh yes

I swapped the top part (big round yellow/white plastic thing, "bulk head"). I guess the old one just had a crack somewhere.
Okay, perfect! Just ordered a new one....let's see if this does it
Old 06-14-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
TheVinylKingz
Leaky Injector

TheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura aboutTheVinylKingz has a spectacular aura about
S14 bulk head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclark View Post
Okay, perfect! Just ordered a new one....let's see if this does it
I had to replace mine ?bulkhead? these are discontinued, but there are a few that have the earlier 3 wire connection vs 4, basically if you have a 96-98 s14 you?re screwed bc one of the plugs is a 4 pin connection plug, 95 s14 were all 3 plug. You the other connection is the same on all years.

I bought one on eBay and it worked out well!
Old 06-15-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVinylKingz View Post
I had to replace mine ?bulkhead? these are discontinued, but there are a few that have the earlier 3 wire connection vs 4, basically if you have a 96-98 s14 you?re screwed bc one of the plugs is a 4 pin connection plug, 95 s14 were all 3 plug. You the other connection is the same on all years.

I bought one on eBay and it worked out well!

Bruhh 2 year old post....
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote