Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
s13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Megan Coil cut question (not typical ?)

no im not talking about cutting the spring or crap like that and i tried searching only to find threads about drooping springs. i would like my rears to drop lower unfortunately height is maxed out. setup is 17in wheel. 45 series tire.. im tucking maybe an inch of tire but would like to tuck a little more.

Now my question is, is it possible to cut maybe an inch off the thread tube that sits inside the sleeve? i just want to be able to drop it a little more. i dont really want to droop the spring. i just want to have a little more height adjustability in the rear. anyone do this and suffered adverse effects? thoughts?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
los_inc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
los_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to los_inc
remove a collar or 2
-los
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Otto347
Nissanaholic!

Otto347 is an unknown quantity at this point
What about a shorter spring with a helper?
Otto347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
nismoskyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Is the height maxed out into the bottom of the sleeve or is the base of the spring just touching the top of the sleeve?

I'm not too sure, but I think if you tighten up the preload (stiffening and compressing the spring), you might have some more thread you can stuff into the sleeve.

Of course it would also increase the spring rate a little at the same time...

i have no personal experience with actually doing that though, just a thought...

(function)(form)^(-1)
nismoskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yeah, cutting the sleeve would be your best bet w/o going crazy with the spring pre-load.

i have an extra Megan s13 street coilover * rear.. almost mind condition.
175 lemme know.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
s13silady
Nissanaholic!

s13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfections13silady is close to perfection
ok. this is for the REARS. i have no problem with the fronts.

and im talking about the bottom of the coil. its hitting the lower control arm.

thats the part of the coil im talking about cutting.. just to give a little more room for the innertube to thread in a little more.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Chrischeezer
Zilvia FREAK!

Chrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the roughChrischeezer is a jewel in the rough
wait...it sounds like your not using the "height " adjustment.

i think your just unloading your springs.. lol,

The whole coilover base, extends to go taller and contracts to go shorter, are u sure ur using the direct height adjustment??
Old 01-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
EDz s14
Leaky Injector

EDz s14 will become famous soon enoughEDz s14 will become famous soon enoughEDz s14 will become famous soon enough
^^^No...the OP has the lower braket (height adjustment) threaded all the way to the top. there is some space still on the threaded shock body to make braket higher, but this is for the rears so there is no hole in the bottom of the braket like the fronts.

I dont think you can cut the body, but some people droop springs on their megans and its fine.
EDz s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
d r i f t swift
Zilvia Junkie

d r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the roughd r i f t swift is a jewel in the rough
sounds sketchy. id remove 2 collars. or get these. im pretty sure these are shorter than the og springs. im sure there are other options you can use also.. but yeah just throwin that out there

Megan Racing
Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I'm confused?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
He has the bottom bracket as low as it can go but still has some thread left?
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
SleepyS-14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
SleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the roughSleepyS-14 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had to cut about 3 inches out of the bottom sleeve ( that bolts to the knuckle). It had a step up about 2 1/2 inches from the bottom preventing the shock body from threading all the way down. Cut 3 inches out of the bottom, weld back together and reinstall.

And thats how you get buck

SleepyS-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You people minus the last poster are all dense. If he removes collars its not going to lower the car because he has the height adjustment as low as it will possibly go in the housing, you can either do what that guy did, which I wouldn't because I don't trust anyone I know with a welder, or cut the threaded insert some and clean up the edge
Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
s13boy89
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
s13boy89 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13boy89
you could try getting s13 ones since you have a s14 itll let you go lower i also had that problem though
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
krazycaron
Leaky Injector

krazycaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to krazycaron
this is all crazy first off if your talking about cutting the shock tube...your going to ruin your coilover because that is where all the gas is compressed and shit.....to cut it and blow it out the bottom and your gonna be looking for a new one!
krazycaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycaron View Post
this is all crazy first off if your talking about cutting the shock tube...your going to ruin your coilover because that is where all the gas is compressed and shit.....to cut it and blow it out the bottom and your gonna be looking for a new one!
hes not talking about cutting the shock tube
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
powahousealex
Zilvia Junkie

powahousealex is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to powahousealex
Call megan and get a shorter shock-ASK FOR ALEX
powahousealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #18
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
see if you can swap em for some s13 rear coils. What exactly is different between the s13 and s14 rear coils? is the threaded shock longer for the s14 but sharing the same brackets/components? maybe you can get megan to sell you s13 threaded shocks..
Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
you can cut 1/2 coils or you can get SWIFT springs which is an upgrade too, choose your custom springrates
Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sx View Post
you can cut 1/2 coils or you can get SWIFT springs which is an upgrade too, choose your custom springrates
Swift springs are meh. You can get 4 Hypercoils for almost the price of 2 Swift springs.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
krazycaron
Leaky Injector

krazycaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to krazycaron
Now my question is, is it possible to cut maybe an inch off the thread tube that sits inside the sleeve?

that was in his original post...... if he cuts that the coilover is fucked!
krazycaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #22
iHeartTheTouge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
iHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
cut bracket, not threaded shock.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #23
mothon
Zilvia Addict

mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Why even bother cutting or welding anything when u can just droop the springs? lots of bad info in this thread.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #24
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Wow, this thread is chock full of confusion.

Ok, I'm gonna attempt to explain this, and make sure the OP has his shit adjusted right.

With the lower bracket (the tube you're talking about cutting) thread down to a stockish height, where there is space between it and the spring perch, loosen the spring perch until the spring is loose. So it can move around. Now, thread it up until it contacts the bottom of the spring, but doesn't compress it at all. This is zero preload. From there, you should be able to take out the other 2 collars that are under the perch, and thread the the lower bracket (tube you're talking about cutting) all the way up to the lock it against the spring perch.

If that is not low enough, you can back the lower bracket (tube) off some, and lower the spring perch with it (locking them against each other again). This is called "drooping the spring." This will basically lower the car even more, but at the expense of a little shock travel. Not a big deal as long as you don't overdo it.

The only downside to this, is if the suspension ever unloads on, say, a driveway, or inclined entrance, the spring is free to move around a bit. Again, not usually a huge deal. That's why some coilovers have helper springs. They allow you to droop the spring, without unloading the spring when the suspension unloads.

Hope all that makes sense.

If you've done all that and it's still not low enough, your options are:

a) get a shorter spring, like what was posted above

b) cut the lower bracket (tube) or spring

It what was posted above is true about the lip in the lower bracket, that may be your only option. I would think this problem would have been posted before now though if that's the case, so.. who knows.

Good luck.