Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dallaschristman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cool KA Transmission Not Lining Up

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my transmission to align in my s13. The crossmember and the motor mounts are all lined up corrwcrly. But it just won't wont line up to the shifter hole. What am I doing wrong? Could the bushing on the crossmember be bad? It wants to sit really far off to the passenger side.

Any help would be amazing! This is driving me crazy.
dallaschristman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaschristman View Post
Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting my transmission to align in my s13. The crossmember and the motor mounts are all lined up corrwcrly. But it just won't wont line up to the shifter hole. What am I doing wrong? Could the bushing on the crossmember be bad? It wants to sit really far off to the passenger side.

Any help would be amazing! This is driving me crazy.

Picturessssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev71893 View Post
Picturessssss

Sorry I was on my phone and couldn't upload a photo.

Here's the issue I'm having. When everything is hooked up, the back of the transmission wants to pull to the passenger side. I can grab it and pull back to the drivers side, but then it goes back to the passenger side.

All of the mounts are lined up correctly so I don't understand what the issue would be. Is it just a bad crossmember bushing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.JPG (447.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Sorry I was on my phone and couldn't upload a photo.

Here's the issue I'm having. When everything is hooked up, the back of the transmission wants to pull to the passenger side. I can grab it and pull back to the drivers side, but then it goes back to the passenger side.

All of the mounts are lined up correctly so I don't understand what the issue would be. Is it just a bad crossmember bushing?

Dude if your trans is bolted to the engine and you can really swing it as much as you're saying, you need to look at motor mounts too. Get a cherry picker to hold the Motor, loosen all three mounts, and wiggle it with the motor slightly pulled from the chassis. Something did not sit right or you have isolating motor mounts(separate studs to not transfer the vibration) that were not installed symmetrically (ie: the offset post is on the top and one is on bottom)

Old 02-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Mounts are off.....
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Dude if your trans is bolted to the engine and you can really swing it as much as you're saying, you need to look at motor mounts too. Get a cherry picker to hold the Motor, loosen all three mounts, and wiggle it with the motor slightly pulled from the chassis. Something did not sit right or you have isolating motor mounts(separate studs to not transfer the vibration) that were not installed symmetrically (ie: the offset post is on the top and one is on bottom)

Yeah, the trans is bolted to the motor and is tight. We loosened the motor mounts and lifted both the motor and trans with jacks and were trying to wiggle them but its like it didn't have anywhere to go. I've just got OEM motor and trans mounts on. The motor looks straight in the bay and the trans lines up pretty much straight when you don't have the crossmember bolted in. But as soon as you bolt something to where its supposed to be, it wants to pull to the right side.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Yeah, the trans is bolted to the motor and is tight. We loosened the motor mounts and lifted both the motor and trans with jacks and were trying to wiggle them but its like it didn't have anywhere to go. I've just got OEM motor and trans mounts on. The motor looks straight in the bay and the trans lines up pretty much straight when you don't have the crossmember bolted in. But as soon as you bolt something to where its supposed to be, it wants to pull to the right side.

Oem as in original? If so you need to get new mounts. All three.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Oem as in original? If so you need to get new mounts. All three.

I guess I mean OEM-spec? I bought the motor mounts brand new because I didn't have any when I bought the motor and trans. But I didn't replace the trans mount. Is that probably all the issue is?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #9
r20crazy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (41)
r20crazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
did you put the motor mounts on the correct sides? there is a right and left side mount and should be marked. will go in on wrong sides.

is this a case of auto to manual trans swap? the trans crossmember brackets are different as well between auto and manual
r20crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by r20crazy View Post
did you put the motor mounts on the correct sides? there is a right and left side mount and should be marked. will go in on wrong sides.

is this a case of auto to manual trans swap? the trans crossmember brackets are different as well between auto and manual
I think they're on correctly. I can send pictures tomorrow when its bright out.

And yes, it's an auto to manual swap. There was a crossmember on the trans when I bought it. And a friend gave me another one. I have the same issue with both crossmembers.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
r20crazy
Zilvia Addict

u have to unbolt motormounts from the brackets to see what it what. one should have an r or L on it letter usually on backside facing block iirc

hard to tell from this pic but they are different.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #12
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
u have to unbolt motormounts from the brackets to see what it what. one should have an r or L on it letter usually on backside facing block iirc

hard to tell from this pic but they are different.

Hmm. My mounts might be messed up then. The description of the mounts said they would fit either side okay. And everything matches up okay. But I guess they could be wrong.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
r20crazy
Zilvia Addict

theres only 4 reasons you can be off. motormounts are wrong, brackets are wrong, you are doing something wrong, or chassis is fucked.

edit: looks like they do make ones that fit either side now (via autozone site)... my nismo mounts had a right and left side. the oem ones shown above have right and left side
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
theres only 4 reasons you can be off. motormounts are wrong, brackets are wrong, you are doing something wrong, or chassis is fucked.
haha probably all of the above honestly. If worst comes to worst I'll have a new crossmember fabricated that pulls it into the correct place or something.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Here are a few pictures of my motor mounts, plus the crossmember on my trans and a few extra ones I have. I believe one of my extra crossmembers came off the auto trans I pulled from my car.

Is it possible that I'm just stupid and have the crossmember on backwards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (370.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0122.jpg (212.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (224.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (267.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
make sure the nipples on the mount are aligned in the correct positions on the engine brackets and the front cross member. mount should be good for either side like ppl have said. either your car is jacked and bent or you did something wrong.
has the front cross member ever been removed?
are youre engine mount brackets straight?
I cant remember if you can mount the trans mount backwards or not
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 AM   #17
dallaschristman
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral View Post
make sure the nipples on the mount are aligned in the correct positions on the engine brackets and the front cross member. mount should be good for either side like ppl have said. either your car is jacked and bent or you did something wrong.
has the front cross member ever been removed?
are youre engine mount brackets straight?
I cant remember if you can mount the trans mount backwards or not
I've checked the hell out of all of the mounts. Everything is lining up the way its supposed to go. The front cross member has never been removed since I've owned the car. The car does have some front end damage, but shouldn't be bad enough that the crossmember would be tweaked that bad.

My dad and I have narrowed it down to either the one-piece driveshaft is too long, or the front end is actually messed up.