Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #31
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got an idea where to get some beefed up axles? I agree about the diff holding but I don't think the axles will.
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #32
doc99
Zilvia Member

doc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of light
Power steering lines?
Brake booster?
A/C?

I'm sure there are adapters, just wondering if they're included or if Hinson knows what's required.
doc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #33
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Question Luke, why did you compare the LS1 with the 6 speed against a KA with an Auto tranny? Everyone knows the Auto tranny on the KA weighs more than the manual 5 speed, a lot more.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #34
Sean1978
Zilvia Member

Sean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of lightSean1978 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Sean1978
Quote:
Question Luke, why did you compare the LS1 with the 6 speed against a KA with an Auto tranny? Everyone knows the Auto tranny on the KA weighs more than the manual 5 speed, a lot more.
I'm guessing it was to illustrate that the swap is comperable in weight to a factory configuration, showing that it's not too much weight for the chassis to handle.

Is this V8 FAQ just going to cover LS1 swaps? I understand they have the best power for weight but I would like to here more about other V8's as well..
Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #35
1 88 U
Zilvia Junkie

1 88 U is making his/her stupidity well-known1 88 U is making his/her stupidity well-known1 88 U is making his/her stupidity well-known1 88 U is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
I want to SEE this swap in an S13. If it fits as nicely as the FD RX7, I'm in.

1 88 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #36
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
I helped put the ls1 in the fd car pictured above. He is sponsored by hinson, but the mounts are a joke design wise (very simple). The crossmember is slightly modified to accomodate the oil pan, the crossmember is spaced down from the frame rails, triangle brackets are used to attach the engine to the crossmember with corvette motor mount plates, and the transmission mount is anything you want to fab that runs from frame rail to frame rail. The transmission is very close to the tunnel, but if spaced properly it will clear (ie hinson mounts).

LS1 is completely easy, only issue is builidng or finding headers that fit. The hinson ones fit fine of course.
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #37
haveblue

haveblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to haveblue
so the factory harness and ecu was used?
did you keep power steering?
did you keep AC?
haveblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #38
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
didnt keep ac. dont need it.

I do have power steering on my FD. I even have an adjuster that i can turn the pressure up and down with.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 AM   #39
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Well I'm curious now, does the subframe on the 240sx have to run on spacers to get the tranny to clear? Or was he making stuff up to talk trash? Because that should affect a variety of things in the front end suspension department.
TheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #40
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Yes crossmember does use spacers.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #41
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
If you don't want to use some sort of spacer, be prepared to cut/hammer/rebuild the transmission tunnel.

Spacing it down really isn't affecting too much in the suspension, just the mounting point on the control arm which is attached with a balljoint to everything else.
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #42
blu808
Post Whore!

yea it just acts as if the car is lowered 1/2" more then it really is. Not a big deal.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #43
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
So does the 1200 dollar motor mounting kit include the stuff you need to space the sub frame and move the steering rack and everything, or is there still some custom fabbing to be done by the person doing the swap?

Edit:

Also, does the mounting kit allow for the stock oil pan to be used, or is it nessisary to use the GTO oil pan? Also, I assume because of the steering column it is not possilbe to run stock headers? Since this is probably the case, can you guys offer steel headers instead of stainless? It should cut the price of those headers in half. That's all the questions I have come up with so far...basically what I am trying to ask is if someone were to buy all of the stuff you guys sell to do this, is it just a bolt on and drop in procedure with only basic wiring that needs to be done.

Instagram - SJKnoop

Last edited by 95KA-Turbo; 04-06-2006 at 04:19 PM..
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #44
doc99
Zilvia Member

doc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of lightdoc99 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KA-Turbo
So does the 1200 dollar motor mounting kit include the stuff you need to space the sub frame and move the steering rack and everything, or is there still some custom fabbing to be done by the person doing the swap?
+1 I'd like to verify this too.

Also will the stock 240 diff gearing work well with the T56 gearing? Not sure what the ratios are on it.
doc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #45
OJmobileII
Leaky Injector

OJmobileII is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

i voted for an informative v8 Faq, not advertising for a company. i followed the developement of hinson's kit for an s14 on two other forums and have been anxiously awaiting info on their s13 project. they do quality work, but this is a v8 Faq. look at our other faqs... those r informative, people have put out different approaches. both wut has worked and wut hasnt. as well as, maybe wut might work.

Luke started the thread off with facts and figures regarding the performance of various chevy small blocks. i think we should follow this lead and discuss different options for the install. people can have shops combine the back of the KA driveshaft w/ the front of the LS and then balance it. maybe someone can use block huggers and weld an LS exhaust flange??? also wut parts do u need for the swap, such as ecu and harness.

we need to discuss different rear ends, cams, etc in this fact. we need to find out wut works best for every persons goal. wut to do if ur building a street car, drag car, daily driver, etc.

10k for a complete turn key diy project? i have been researching a small block 240 swap and there r many different routes besides buying an all in one kit. there is even a kid who had a budget of $4000, bought an fc shell and swapped in an lt1+t56 without running out of money (i know, i know that swap is more documented and parts r cheaper and it might be a little bit easier, but i'm jus saying). alot of parts can be easily fabricated, while others ur better off buying. i can point people in the direction of better info regarding a diy swap, but i'm not sure of the policy here on posting links to other forums and such.

i wanted to post information regarding different chevy gen iii motors such as the LS truck motors(5.3l alum, 5.3l cast, and 6.0l cast), but i was afraid of giving false information people should avoid jus posting for the sake of posting and give correct information. people posting to up their count makes searches more difficult and thats y people repost, cus after an hour or so of looking through crap they decide to ask. and then all the big shots yell out search n00b.

heres some info i've pieced together regarding chevy small block v8s:

ls1/ls2/ls6 jus the motor weigh approximately 100lbs lighter than the ka (for all u ka-t people remember that turbo, i/c, etc add alot of weight).

aluminum 5.3 truck motor weighs about the same as the above, but ive recently seen the prices of this motor go up to the point where it is almost better to buy an ls1 (since u will want to change out the cam and doing so u will need to buy the cam, of course, and ls6 valvesprings). only advantage here is perhaps lower miles than a typical ls1.

lt1/lt4 weigh about the same as the ka and deliver almost as much performance (as u can see from luke's info on the first page). these would be the most bang for the buck. but many r high mileage and beat to hell.

cast 5.3/6.0 weigh about the same as the above lt series. u can find this in local boneyards and usually have less miles than any of the LS/LT motors

as far as transmissions go. if u have an ls motor u want a 6speed u have to get the t56 out of an ls series car. if have an lt motor u can use the t56 out of an lt series car. remember the t56 is really heavy so when u look at different weights of ka + trans vs chevy + trans.... remember that alot of that weight is in the transmission which will be low and in the center of the car.

for those genuinely interested in this swap please try researching the v8 rx7s. people have been doing this swap for a little bit longer and u can find alot of information (just weed out all the rotary vs piston arguing). like i said before i can point people in the right direction w/ links, but i dont know how the mods feel about that.

just like anyother used engine (sr20, ka24, rb, ca, etc) remember u r getting a used part and u have to be ready for any problems that might come with that.

this ended up being much longer than i had anticipated, sorry.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #46
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I am asking about the completeness of the kit because I have been reading write-ups on other forums about a 240 LS1 swap and their modifications are more laborious but a lot cheaper. I am asking because it is good for people to know - who may not have access to do some of the modifications necessary for a full DIY swap - whether or not you can spend 14-2400 dollars to get the motor to work in your car simply and safely. I think it is important to know information like that before committing to a project all the way.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #47
2forty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of2forty has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
so exactly what ballpark figure are we looking at here for that beast to be running? some people posted 10k for DIY? thats seems a little high? I mean bare bones swap would put you around 6-7k correct?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #48
OJmobileII
Leaky Injector

i understand that this is a community where we share information about personal experiences with certain products. i would love to see someone buy the kit and then post feedback. most of the questions that people have been asking can be answered by simply calling hinson.

i had a question about one of their kits. i emailed them and i received a response in under a week. they r in the business of making money when someone has a question regarding one of their products they r more than happy to answer it as promptly as possible.

most of the information regarding the kit is jus speculation and hearsay because no one has it yet (as far as i know). it is best to get information from the source. and then rely on peers for their opinions. does it come with this or does it come with that should not be answered by people who dont know.

in the interest of this faq i will not make another post like this one. if anyone has any questions for me, feel free to pm me. i will get back to u as soon as i can. thanks.

Last edited by OJmobileII; 04-06-2006 at 10:32 PM..
OJmobileII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #49
blu808
Post Whore!

Oj: Some good points in your post. I do think you need to reread this though. I am not here to sell hinson kits. I have simply posted the pricing that was provided by hinson. All of my post besides that were either info on the swap/motors, or answering peoples questions. If you havent noticed i havent tried to sell anything here. If people would like to buy parts from me they pm me.

Other then that you have alot of good points.

There are many people who build a v8fc for under 4k including the car. Keep in mind a fc is basically made for a v8. a c4 corvette driveshaft fits a ls1/ lt1 fc with no mods, stock headers fit no problem, and the mounting kit is like $300. add that with a $50 mustang radiator, and a $79 clutch master cyl and your done. Not much involved in that swap.

Then there is also the option of using say a lt1/lt4/5.0/454/ blah blah blah.
That is allways an option, and still an area to look into. But there is no question about the fact that the best choice for a 240sx/v8 would be the lsx motors. Also keep in mind that the only american motors that would be street legal would be the:
LSX, Lt, and 1991+ mustang v8's. because they have to be the same year of the car or newer.

Yeayea. throw a northstar motor in there, or even nissan titan motor. Those would be cool, but we are trying to keep it on the topic of common motors.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #50
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is what I found from my preliminary research. Please correct me if I have something wrong.

So far for me the best engine is the LS1 from the late model Camaro/Firebird Fbody. It will keep the car street legal and allow you to keep some of the emissions stuff. How much I don't know since I need to dig more into it.

You can get good, usable drivetrains for under $5k. What I was going to do is just get a shortblock and have a shop do a mild rebuild for reliability. From what I found, the bottom end is pretty solid if all you want is 300 bhp. Maybe get some goodies from ARP to reinforce it a little more, and definitely a better oil system (dry sump of some sort) for roadracing.

I figure mid teens for the Hinson kit. I'm going to go ahead and allow some more budget for some final installation and fabrication if necessary.

The only thing I don't know about is the driveshaft and rear end, but I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get in touch with the folks at Hinsons.

So right now I'm looking at a conservative estimate of about low teens for a turnkey setup. This will allow me to attend a full season of roadracing without a rebuild (I hope), and I'm hoping it will be easier to find parts to feed the motor.

At least I can sell my SR to help fund some of it. Bye bye turbo. Hello V8
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #51
blu808
Post Whore!

Ok guys let me break this down for yall.

Ls1/t56 Around $5000.00
Hinson Mounting kit
Headers: $985 for both Stainless 1 3/4" long tubes into 3" collectors.
Steel drive shaft $275
Aluminum $420
S13/S14 complete mounting kit $1122.32 about a week turn around. Includes corvette engine mounts. Deduct $160 ifr they allready have vette mounts.
Cooling system $450-$$$$$
Clutch line, and master cyl $150-????
odd and ends. $600

Now if i wanted to do the most basic swap. I would atleast do the following.

Cam $190-$300
Timing chain (zo6) $80.00
Cromoly pushrods $90.00
Valve springs (dual) $200.00
Titainium retainers $75.00
160 Deg T-stat $50.00
Underdrive pulley $140-280
Belt tensioner $150-200
Clutch $300-$$$$$
ECU tuning software. $500-1800
Old 04-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #52
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How do the exhaust collectors line up with the stock exhaust routing?

Thanks for your help.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #53
blu808
Post Whore!

Well after the tranny you can make it "Y" into a single 3.5" tube in the stock location.

Heres my FD exhaust.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #54
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Hi guys,

You all should really check out what's going on over at LS1tech.com. I go by GIGAPUNK over there if you ever have any questions. There's is more than one person over there who has finished this swap. I recently picked up a 98 SE and a 2003 vette LS1 and a camaro SS T56. I'm going to be hacking into the firewall this summer and doing things the hard way. Without dropping the crossmember I will be able to sit the engine substantially lower than is possible with the GTO pan.

You guys can all argue about engines until the cows come home. But you can't argue the fact that the LS1 is just about the most affordable, lightest, engine that reliably and EASILY will put out 400 hp. And the fact that it is domestic does matter. The availability and lack of shipping from Japan add up fast. And besides that, the engine discussion becomes a pointless conversation if you're looking into a kit for the 240, cuz there's only one, and it uses the LS1.

This is going to be fun...

SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #55
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
If you skim thrugh it and get past the old ass Ford Vs Chevy BS. you will find some usefull stuff.

here is ib's short hand of this topic

get a hensin kit,

if you go with an LSx motor and drive train
get a gto oil pain and pickup

if you use the kit to as a basis for a different V6/8/10 swap your on your own.

you can keep your AC luke didnt want to,
you can keep your PS luke has adjustable valve,
you can get beefier axles at LS auto or other places

This swap was created because the LS/LT motors are lighter and more powerfull out the box then KA/RB. And as an out of the box aplication is capeable to being smog legal for some states. They are working on a way to make it legal for Communistafornia and the only reason why it is a problem is because the posision of the steering colum/rack so custom headers are needed. I'm sure there are Carb Legal headers for that motor, not sure if they will work for this swap though.

Any motor can be made as fast as you can afford, not dream...

and No Cosworth is not Ford.

Last edited by irax; 04-18-2006 at 03:19 PM..
irax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #56
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ok, I've just gone thru and lowered the collective post count by 72.
Keep this thread ON-TOPIC, and post FACTS, not speculation.
I've had to delete shit posts and even some semi-informative, but irrelevant posts.
Irax's post above does a good job of summing some of that shit up.

When this thread reaches 5 pages again, I'll have a volunteer (Luke?) go thru and condense the whole damn thing into a single (if possible) post and we'll start over with v2.0

I deleted some shit about axles because I wanted to make an axle-specific thread that we could all contribute to (and link to from here if necessary).
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #57
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
I was wondering if anyone has looked into dry sump oil systems. That would allow you to position the engine as low as possible, but that will require custom engine mounts which does not help because I was planning on buying the Hinson kit.
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #58
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
In regards to the rear end gearing question. I'm pretty sure the manual camaros cam with 3.42 and the autos with 2.73. A common upgrade is 3.73s. But the consensus w/ the Camaro Drag racers seems to be that the 3.73s aren't worth the trouble, and most recommend going straight up to the 4.10. The 240s come stock with 4.08. So I figure we are pretty lucky. The only problem is that you are probably going to have to make an extra shift in the 1320 if you are planning on doing it over 115 mph. If serious MPH is on your agenda, you may want to look at something closer to the 3.73. Drag isn't my main concern, so I'm going to stick with my stock 4.08 s14 VLSD as long as possible

I looked into Dry sumping pretty seriously. ARE, Armstrong Race Engineering, out side Sacramento in Orangevale CA, makes more than one pan/kit to dry sump the LS1, beautiful stuff.

But you are really limited as to how low you can place the engine by the transmission. The t56 hangs almost 5 inches below the bottom of the block! The LS running Cadillac Race Cars machined an adapter to run the transmissions on their sides!

Plus there are serious problems with running a dry sump on the street. Cost was a big one for me. Minimum $700, and that would be cheap. Then there's the extra weight, between the extra fluid, lines and pump expect to add near50lbs. Oh and the fact that if a simple belt breaks or comes off you have no oil flow, followed shortly by no bearings. Plus with the cross member in the way you can't even lower the pan to the level of your ground clearance, only to the level of the rack!

For me it just wasn't worth the money, risk, and weight. Especially since you can't take advantage of being able to lower the engine to the degree that drysumps normally afford you.

I'm just going to port an LH6 pump and go.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 PM   #59
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
Thats interesting information and like you I will not be using dry sump.

Also LS1TECH does have a lot of good information and here is a like for the DIY throttle body porting, very comprehensive.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...=139142&page=2
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 PM   #60
OJmobileII
Leaky Injector

if u plan on doing a gm small block here is some info that is no longer listed after the clean up:

unless u plan on doing a rebuild, i would not suggest an LT1 motor due to the low quality of pullouts that i have seen. if u do find one in good shape u can use the money saved vs buying an LS1 for mods making it more powerful than a stock LS1. one main downfall is the gen ii intake is inferior to the intake on the Gen III/IV motors.

besides the LS1, LS6, and LS2... GM put an LS-style V8 in their trucks/suvs. they come in many different versions. these motors are often easier to find, have lower miles, and are cheaper. they r mostly cast iron block and aluminum heads weighing in at roughly 65lbs more than a standard LS1/6/2. u need to use the f-body accessories and intake for install.

4.8L (LR4) - found in large vans and smaller trucks. most people swap these out in favor of the 6.0. they have a shorter stroke than the motors i will later mention. the rods r longer (consensus: easier to break). factory ~ 270hp, 285 ft-lbs

5.3L (LM7)- the iron block version of this motor is easy to find and might be the ticket for a budget builder. only problem is the heads dont flow (same heads found on 4.8L) very well. also has the same block w/ the same bore as 4.8L, but w/ a longer stroke. when putting in a different cam u need to swap over most of the valvetrain from an LS6. i believe this motor is 9:5:1 compression w/ factory ~ 285 hp, 320 ft-lbs

5.3L (LM4) - this is the aluminum block version of the above mentioned motor. it can be pulled from '04 Trailblazer EXT, Envoy XL, and SSR (i think the '04 Rainier too). differences r the lighter block (equal in weight to LS1/6/2). also compression is bumped up (maybe 9:9:1) producing more power. factory ~ 295 hp, 330 ft-lbs

6.0L (LQ4) - bored version of cast iron 5.3L. big difference is obviously the displacement, but also has high flowing aluminum heads (beware of the pre-01 motors which have iron heads that u dont want for various reasons). the compression is back down to 9:5:1 on these motors. factory ~ 325 hp, 365 ft-lbs

6.0L (LQ9) - "performance" version of above motor found in Silverado SS and 02-05 Escalades. internals r slightly different beefier rods, coated piston skirts, flat top pistons, and higher compression (something like 10:1ish). power goes up too. factory ~ 345 hp, 380 ft-lbs

that is all i can spit off right now. feel free to correct any of my information. this was all pieced together from searching the web in my spare time.

my conclusion:

if ur looking for a budget build and r concerned about a little extra weight try to locate an LM4 (prices have skyrocketed on this as of late though... can almost find an LS1 in decent shape for same price)

if the extra 65lbs doesnt bother u, go big or go home. 6.0 motors r more bang for ur buck. the extra money is worth the increased displacement, higher flowing heads, and various cam options.

the cast iron motors r better for boost, of course. big boost F/I f-body guys use the cast blocks. the LQ4 is better for forced induction due to the lower compression, but if u want to run anything over 10psi (people go 14 w/ meth but who knows for how long), u better get some aftermarket pistons and rods.

LQ9 would be the best N/A motor, but only if u get a good deal over the price of an LS1/6/2.

P.S. thank u Mods for "taking out the garbage"

EDIT: i guess my post didnt get deleted. i jus assumed it did. so i guess this is halfway a repost. oh well, this post has more info than my previous one. hope u find it useful.

Last edited by OJmobileII; 05-05-2006 at 09:45 PM..
OJmobileII is offline   Reply With Quote