Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #1
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
regnaleb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Battery Not Charging?

Hi guys i need some help.. Theres a few problems a need to fix before i get my car on the road and this is one of them. Hopefully someone could help me out and it will be appreciated immensely. I own an s13 with a type x sr20det swap. Everythings clean and i have a WS harness for lower and upper.

here goes, first i would like to start off with my mistake. I hooked up the battery connections backwards and fried my atl fuse along with my harness and ignitor chip.

lol with that said, i replaced everything and the car now runs. ONLY when i boost it with another car.

So i boost it and it runs, i disconnect the jumper cables and the car runs perfectly for a long time, had it running for a good twenty mins before i turned it off. I didnt let it die

When it was running i read the voltage meter on the battery and it was reading 14 volts but when i turn the car off, the voltage slowly drops on the battery. maybe like 2 volts a minute... Im wondering why its not holding its charge? Is this a sign it could be a dead battery? like completely dead beyond revival?

maybe someone can clarify some things for me and lead me in the right direction to getting this fixed. Thanks guys and girls
regnaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
all powered accessories were off or disconnected? (interior lights, test lights, brake lights, etc)
battery may not be charging while vehicle is running. (charging issue.)
relay sticking or shorted diode draining power. (parasitic fuses)
old battery.
kam settings lost with disconnect?

check fuses and ignition wiring and alternator.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have 14v running its charging. If your charging a low battery off the alt your reading the surface charge which will fall fast. Maybe charge the battery fully then check it again. glwf
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Just get a new battery. If you still have issue, you can return battery. Nothing lost but a little time.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
regnaleb
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
regnaleb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Verteen, so you suggest to just let it run for a long time because the batt may be really really really dead and it will take a while to charge? Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know 14v means it's charging properly
regnaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Just get a new battery. If you still have issue, you can return battery. Nothing lost but a little time.
Not sure where you're shopping but no store I've been to/worked at allows battery returns once installed.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
chancelton

chancelton is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a bad battery to me
chancelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
If that's your only option that may work but its hard on the alternator. If you take it to a part store most of them will charge and check for free.
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote