Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #91
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood
Setup looks nice do you run fans on the radiator? Not sure why it would overheat for street driving it looks very efficient. Are you getting a good low pressure zone behind the ic with the ducting that far above the hood line?
Im sure he hasn't run a pressure test on it but he posted the first good DIY example in this entire thread. both the Signal cars and Koguchi nailed it too.

With the "gurney flap" right before the duct the only way it wouldn't create a huge drop in pressure behind it is if the flow was already seperated, and seeing as how the 240SX has a smooth nose unlike the STi and FC it should be working as intended.

Ducting on it is near perfect. bending the outsides of the koyo for bracket for ducting is classy.

The piping is kind of wack but whatever.

I'll pretty much be doing that exact setup but with less layback on the radiator.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #92
brainfood
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
brainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond reputebrainfood has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I agree it is a very nice setup, I was just wondering about the hood ducting because I have been looking for a decent hood that would do well with a fmic but an oe style could be cut to run with a duct like that with little work.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:03 AM   #93
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
V-Mount Looks SWEET! How many people want one really bad now based off that ARC pic!!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #94
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX
i had posted wuite the write up on how and why i did mine like i did, and how it ended up working at the race track, i would never use mysetup for daily driving because of cooling issues when the car isnt moving.

setup mounted with smaller than KOYO radiator old Greddy FMIC and without cutting any supports.

lower ducting

upper ducting

ducting fitment in the "V"

hood fitment

thats some Aircraft Sheetmetal guy work if ive EVER seen it myself lol...unless you do sheetmetal some other place for a living.
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #95
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfood
Setup looks nice do you run fans on the radiator? Not sure why it would overheat for street driving it looks very efficient. Are you getting a good low pressure zone behind the ic with the ducting that far above the hood line?
it overheats because i only have a little 12" fan on teh back of the raciator. Without the high flow of air you get from actually moving forward the rad doesnt work as well as it does in movement.

this setp was done on a budget and to be completely functional not for bling factor. On the reace track i get average temps of 170* with no fans at all, if i run defreoster and rad fa i can actually get temps down to 150* on track.

All ducting was done using my aviation sheet metal training, glad you all like it. Oh my radiator is not a Koyo also, its about 8" shorter, and i got it on ebay, i jut got the dimensions that i was looking for, Koyo was too big to fit without cutting anything.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #96
yokotas13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
yokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfectionyokotas13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to yokotas13 Send a message via MSN to yokotas13 Send a message via Yahoo to yokotas13
lol I KNEW IT!!!
yokotas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:32 AM   #97
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
im an Aircraft Technician, its what i do, sheet metal has always been my thing along with electrical wiring.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #98
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz
Where did you get yours from?
stock car products they no longer carry Griffin but they do have decent prices on AFCO and Howe radiators if you google "griffin circle track radiators" you will find a lot of suppliers. Be sure to get Chevy outlets if you have an SR
Old 09-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #99
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Dear god that shit is fuckin' cclleeeeaaann..
build cost tally?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #100
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

mmm, cost of Greddy FMIC kit 2 years ago, HT hotpipe with greddy BOV, $100 Ford racing ebay alum. radiator, $25 ebay Moroso Coolant resivoir, $300 in aluminum welding, $30 rad hoses & clamps, $40 aluminum sheet metal for ducting & rivets.

the FMIC kit i used to use was the biggest cost, i could have spent a fraction of that if i went v-mount from the begining without buying a FMIC kit and getting a smaller IC and ebay IC piping kit.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #101
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
$1345, hmm pricey
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #102
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

liek i said, if i had gone v-mount up frnt, knock at least 500 off that, selling and rebuying IC stuff was a waste of tiem because i never would have gotten enough money back on teh IC and pipes to make it worth it

Old 09-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #103
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
How many people would be interested in paying for a v-mount setup out of the gate? IC, Radiator with proper welds, Reservior tanks, Ducting for a very close to bolt-on setup? Also, how much would you pay for a proven setup?

Carlos
Old 09-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #104
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Make it KA/SR/CA compatible and you would increase your market.

I still wouldn't be interested, but then again I'm after a NA V8. Just making a suggestion for you guys to consider.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #105
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
well im currently in the markt for a v mouint set up because im picking up a shell tomorrow morning and its gonna be my track car. so id like to go vmount! make a kit and let me demo it for you!
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #106
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Make it KA/SR/CA compatible and you would increase your market.
Thanks for the advice. That is very do-able just by different brackets and minor piping differences.

Carlos
Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #107
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Id be in hell youd save me time looking for stuff. Lazy!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #108
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

+1 for a v-mount, would you pay $1000 for it?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #109
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
I'd be in Carlos... depending on price of course.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #110
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

in all honesty i could make a kit that would just need custom IC pipes made per application, but everyone woul demand different things Rad sizes, IC sizes, and for teh ducting to be done properly somethings need to be cut for it to work properly. Alot of R&D for small profit or outcome...mostlikely why no one has hit the market with a kit yet.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #111
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX
in all honesty i could make a kit that would just need custom IC pipes made per application, but everyone woul demand different things Rad sizes, IC sizes, and for teh ducting to be done properly somethings need to be cut for it to work properly. Alot of R&D for small profit or outcome...mostlikely why no one has hit the market with a kit yet.
Alast, I came around...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #112
Markovich
Leaky Injector

Markovich is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Notice how this guy retains stock looking radiator? Is it?

Its a 93 eagle talon radiator but its getting replaced by an aluminum rad from ebay.The car is my daily driver and have put about $525 with the new alumnium radiator, intercooler, piping, bov, fan im on a really tight budget!!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #113
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
+1 for a v-mount, would you pay $1000 for it?
well for 1000 bucks id buy it if it looks like a professional job like the arc kit. but if it looks like a backyard hack job then no way.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #114
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_240sx
well for 1000 bucks id buy it if it looks like a professional job like the arc kit. but if it looks like a backyard hack job then no way.
I definately understand your concern and I would not put my name on crap work. To have a kit like ARC is pushing it just because of the radiator endtanks and titanium ducts. I am just looking for interested individuals. I have seen the RX-7 kit sell for over 1100, so I am judging by that amount.

Carlos
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #115
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

well i tried my current 240 once this year and had over heating issues so my project car which will be mean for 90% track and 10%DD, i wanna make sure i get the cooling issues out!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #116
chuy
Zilvia Addict

chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
I dont know if it would help to do it in HP figures. I havent gotten that far yet. But Im in as long as theres no cutting of any radiator mounts and stuff. If we have to cut the bumper no prob I just dont want to cut the metal bumper and radiator support.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #117
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy
I dont know if it would help to do it in HP figures. I havent gotten that far yet. But Im in as long as theres no cutting of any radiator mounts and stuff. If we have to cut the bumper no prob I just dont want to cut the metal bumper and radiator support.
I do not want to cut ANYTHING at all, especially the rad support. It's just going to take alot of test fits and measuring and what not.

Carlos
Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #118
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
For $1000 I would buy it 4sure.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #119
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (3)
MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I dont think making a Kit would be the best way to sell a V-mount... The ARC is going to cost, at least, well into the $3000 range. I have seen several other FD3S V-Mounts going for $2500+. I personally would stay away from a $1000 V-mount. Everyone wants the quality and proven performance of an ARC type set-up but NO-ONE is going to buy the ARC.

The best option is exactly as I was posting to begin with... Find the parts and do the R&D... if you dont know what your doing (or trust your skill) then get help, or don't do it. There are to many variables: KA, SR, CA, Bottom mount, Top Mount, V-mount, 7-Mount, etc...

The best part posted so far is the Griffin Radiator w/ Chevy pipes... yes it still needs modified, but thats what makes Your set-up... yours!

Peace
Drew
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #120
FinalDrive
Zilvia Junkie

FinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud ofFinalDrive has much to be proud of
$1000 for a kit that includes intercooler and radiator? I'd be interested
FinalDrive is offline   Reply With Quote