Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
stevenwalborn

Trader Rating: (0)
stevenwalborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member 240sx or 300zx

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member here, and looking for some info and opinions from you guys.

I'm in the market for either a Nissan 240sx or a 300zx. I've been a big Nissan fan all my life and it's time to get into a project car. I have an 01 cobra and I'm just over the American muscle scene at this point.

With that said, my overall goals would be to make a track/street vehicle. I'll end up doing a swap, not too sure which yet. I know the 300's engine bay is extremely cramped, not sure about the 240sx. Would love either one really just wondering which would be best for my goals. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevenwalborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Get a 350z lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
stevenwalborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Get a 350z lol.

I like the 350z as well, but I was hoping to do more of a project, pick the car up for 2-5k and then have at it. Do you think the 350 is the best platform though?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
SoundEfx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SoundEfx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would do my research on which car is better for the tracks you plan to attend and go from there. It also depends on how deep your wallet is.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
dru721
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
dru721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just go with a 240 plenty of parts to find. What are your power goals? Both platforms u can acheive but how much are you willing to dump in a project car? If i were u i would get a 240 and and keep ka in there not worth swaping out for another 4banger.
dru721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Make sure you know what route you want to go and make sure you will know how to execute it properly. I work at Motorsport Auto (Thezstore.com) and work with Z's everyday all day. They are great cars, but they do not have nearly as much aftermarket support as 240SX's do. I personally had a 1985 300zx, 5 spd manual N/a vg30 and i ended up selling it. I work at a store where you can get more parts for Z's than anywhere else in the world and i was not as, lets say "excited" as i should or wanted to have been with owning and modifying that car. I had an 89 240zx hatch with a redtop sr swap, an loved the car. I was 18 when i owned it, i drove it into the ground, blew the turbo, rebuilt the motor to push 320 whp and then sold it because i thought it was such a headache. I now own and drive an SR Swapped 240SX hatch because selling my old one was on of my life's biggest regrets! S Chassis FTW!! Z's are cool, but you better have deep pockets and a very extensive knowledge of Z cars and older Nissan's in general. Z32's are a different beast they are nice, but heavy & expensive, and have a big but very narrow aftermarket following. If it isn't from STILLEN, JWT, or Z1 Concepts it isn't even worth running on the car. And it will much much harder to get a z32 track ready compared to a 240sx. Either KA's or SR's are good motors, and they can make great power. SR motors are very easy to make power with, and they can do so pretty reliably. The nice thing is these are all ready for turbo upgrades, while turboing a KA to make good power will take a little more $ and work to get to that point, but sometimes they can make more power than SR's and they sound wicked
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
stevenwalborn

Thanks for the replies guys!

My goals - 400rwhp reliably, street/track car. Can the KA or SR make that without getting to radical?

Old 12-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Short answer.

No.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gotta get radical lol but in an s chassis, 300 whp will be more than sufficient for a beginning driver on the track and you will still beat all the mustangs on the street
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Hey guys,

I own a 1998 Camaro but I've always been a fan of Nissan. I'd like to get fuckboy car 1 or fuckboy car 2, because I want to stay relevant. Again, big fan.

I'd like to do a motor swap, because I'm such a fan, but I'm worried about the fan shroud on the fuckboy car 2.

I'm such a big fan, but please remind me what swaps are popular into USDM fuckboy car 1s?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
When I get back to these cars, as much as I love the S13 and S14, I'll probably end up getting a 350Z for their better condition and availability. They're becoming just as cheap and easy to modify as the 240SX, just in better shape (hopefully).
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
stevenwalborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Hey guys,

I own a 1998 Camaro but I've always been a fan of Nissan. I'd like to get fuckboy car 1 or fuckboy car 2, because I want to stay relevant. Again, big fan.

I'd like to do a motor swap, because I'm such a fan, but I'm worried about the fan shroud on the fuckboy car 2.

I'm such a big fan, but please remind me what swaps are popular into USDM fuckboy car 1s?

+1 thank you for the info man

Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
stevenwalborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
When I get back to these cars, as much as I love the S13 and S14, I'll probably end up getting a 350Z for their better condition and availability. They're becoming just as cheap and easy to modify as the 240SX, just in better shape (hopefully).

I didn't really consider the 350 because I was more or less looking for a cheap entry platform that I could piece together as I go along. But once I actually started looking into the 350z's, I've been surprised at their price points!

Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not both???

Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
Pimpnyou204
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Pimpnyou204 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Go 350 too many 240s at this point have been hacked to hell and god only knows what is wrong with them. Then if you get a clean unmolested 240 your gonna pay some what close to a 350 which is 10 years newer. Although i love my 240 and what it has become.
Pimpnyou204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #16
gerson408
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
gerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymoregerson408 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Get a 350z if you're budget is between 2-5k I just scored a z for 3700 dollars
gerson408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson408 View Post
Get a 350z if you're budget is between 2-5k I just scored a z for 3700 dollars
Wow. Aaaand I think I'm done with 240's now. There's no point with decent Z33's at that price, IMO. Shit, you can barely even find a Z31 turbo for that kind of money.

I'm not a huge VQ fan, but it can still be an N/A hoot if you don't go crazy with it.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
Bushido
Post Whore!

Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
go 350z if you want to drive a bubble mobile.